Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 05:29

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Low carb brain fuel isn't working for my college study :( HELP

It is unequivocal in it's strength where I study hard and feel the need to consume carbs, then I feel very focused, can continue on and I'm able to "apply" myself to the extensive reading I have to do.

It's not like my stomach is desperate to eat carbs,more the contrary. But, it's my brain that feels it after hours of studying academic papers. After a day of writing reports, a slice of beef etc. doesn't do anything to keep me going.

What is that about? I have tried munching on nuts, snacking on jerky, eggs, even tbsp of coconut oil hasn't helped. They are not contributing to better concentration or focus until I eat a slice of bread which seems to keep me going for ages without feeling debilitated, but of course, there are consequences to that.
It is a catch 22, when you want to get maximum effort out of study by fueling right, with the risk of weight gain in the process. Ugh.

I thought coconut oil, at least would keep me focused. Nada.

Anyone else experience this, what do you do?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 06:02

Plan: hybrid-Atkins/S. Beach
Stats: 206/198/170 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 22%

Have you tried avocado? Maybe guacamole with a pork rind chip will trick your brain into thinking it had carbs. Or one of my favorite meals is a mashed up avocado with cooked chorizo and cojita cheese crumbled on top (with a few fresh tomato bits if I have them). Those seem to hit the spot for me where I feel satisfied, although I'm practicing the piano and not studying. I also wonder if it's not a mental "hump" that you have to overcome because the habit is son ingrained, but maybe that is just a stupid idea because I've never really felt like bread=focus...so no offence meant AT ALL! I really crave bread when I'm sick and try to convince myself that I need it and it's the only thing that will make me feel better. I combat that with take out egg drop soup so I found my supplemental bread, maybe you just need to keep experimenting til you find yours.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 07:02

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 178/178/147 Female 5ft8.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

This is it!

I need to trick my brain, you're right. Make something that mimics carbs I guess in texture possibly. May work. That sounds tasty cheese crumbled on mashed avo with sausage..mmmm.

No not offensive at all. I thought I was the same, that I didn't need carbs as brain fuel, but since the studying (which is an intensive course) I have really craved it. Find it quite odd but maybe need to override this as you said. Thanks for the tip
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 07:37
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi. I've noticed from your profile that you're 40ish like me, and I commend you for being in school... because I couldn't do it anymore. I was in the advanced classes in high school, did well post-secondary, but my concentration and recall has gone down the tubes.

I've become really scatterbrained at work - it's unreal how many tasks I have half-done because I get distracted and forget about the other five things I have on the go, instead of finishing one task then moving on. I've been able to manage by having routines, making lists, and writing down every phone message... but I'd be lying if I denied having chemical help. I'll have a sugar-free Red Bull here and there, and I've even "abused" sinus pills because they make me sharp as a tack. (No wonder Ritalin is effective...)

I've never noticed any improvement with a higher-carb diet. Carbs knock me out, if anything. YMMV, of course. I think if you're noticing a difference, it's an adrenaline rush, maybe?

I think the best you can do is try to make sure the rest of your lifestyle is supportive of your studies. Are you getting enough sleep? Taking breaks? Clearing your head by going for a walk? When I answer "no" to these questions, that's when I head for the stimulants. I work shift and the sleep thing is huge for me.

Best of luck to you.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 13:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

You might also try loading most of your days carbs. into your study time. Something like half your days carbs when starting study time then the other half in the middle of your study time. I started that with my new job last week and so far its working well.