Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-08, 08:01

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default This, That and PP Chat for April '08

Greetings fellow PP/PPLPers

Since no one has started a new thread, and the title is one I sort of came up with, I thought I should start one for this month. Sorry I have been so busy that I don't have time to post like I would like. I have been fixing up an old barn to use to store "stuff" from the garage so I can tear it down and build a new garage/shop in it's place.

I eat breakfast (my CO soaked sardines as usual) and supper reading the comics and then this board. So I have been "keeping up" with the postings, BUT it is hard to type and "shovel" food into my mouth at the same time. Also, I do not type OR spell very well, so there is a lot of editting to be done before I can post anything with much substance. I am going to take the time soon and make some comments that I want to make.

Until then,
Larry
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-06-08, 19:21
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 226/224/150 Female 64 inches
BF:51%
Progress: 3%

Well, I'm just glad you didn't disappear again after I found you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 09:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65
Well, I'm just glad you didn't disappear again after I found you.
Me TOO!!

Don't retire! I found out that just a former coworker said, "You are so busy when you retire, you wonder how you got anything done when you were working!"

For example; I thought that this weekend I would have some time to post some long delayed posts here. But then Saturday I helped a neighbor, that I owed a favor to, fill in a 10 foot gap in the rock wall along the road in front of his property. His wife came out from the city midday and then came down and helped by raking the dead grass so we could find the rest of the rocks I had dumped last year. We finished about 5PM and she asked me up to the house to have something to drink. After hesitating I thought, GO do it!, and did. We wound up having a great time. I found out he was also a collector of Marx toy trains. Then she asked me to have supper. They are vegetarians (but eat sea food) so she had some sardines, which I had told them about eating for breakfast. SO that was my meat dish, with some Munster (sp?) cheese on it. Then as she was getting stuff out for them to eat she pulled out a big broccoli head at which point I said I love bockey’ so she steamed some for me. They had aspargrass (sp?) with chopped onion, chopped garlic clove, chopped green pepper and what I suspect was tofu. When she was dishing supper up I let her give me a spoon full of the mix. Turned out great which surprised me as the few times I have tried aspargrass it was awfull! He said that too many people over cook it so it is really soft, but they found that keeping it crisp makes all the difference - and I said, just like cooking broccoli, overcooked just is not as good. So by the time the dinner/evening was over it was 9:30 which meant it was almost 11 when I got to bed.

So I was dragging Sunday and then wound up haveing several intrusions followed by a two hour phone call from my sister (love her - but wish she would have called another day ) so again I was late going to bed. And didn’t finish watering my orchids so the last cycle of soaking them, as I can’t soak them all at once, started as I went to bed and then about 2AM when I woke up I had to go and drain them so they would not have their “feet” wet too long.

Tell me about your new job, Petra. How did you come to take it, etc.?

And what about the rest of you PP/PPLPers?? I know, I know, you are just as, if not more, busy than I am.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 15:42

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

That is strange about the asparagus. I had thought I hated asparagus for years, but my MIL made some recently & I loved it. I also think it was the fact that it wasn't overcooked; it is really gross when it is mushy!

I have had LOTS of time to post lately, as DH & I just moved to the UP of Michigan & I left my job (where I worked 12 hrs/day). He works in AK 2 weeks out of the month, so I have been rather lost, having worked full-time for the past 16 years! At least I have time to focus on eating right, although we are going to be opening a business up here soon, which will keep me busy.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-08, 18:31
Registered Member

There aren't many veggies I don't like except greens-like spinach, collards, turnip greens, etc. I eat just about everything else. In fact, this weekend, I put a whole assortment on the grill-zucchini, peppers, onions, eggplant, portabellas,etc. Delicious. you should try it sometime.

My job......... Well the job I have now is not the job I came to MS for. I moved here for a job at the VA. I thought it would be great to have a government job. Great benefits, all those holidays, etc. I absolutely hated that job. Partly it is the bureacracy and partly I found out some of the dirty little secrets of our military. I had my life threatened for the first time in my career and it took them 3 months to do anything about it. And even then, it wasn't much. I only lasted there 10 months. I loved the people I worked with and they respected me a great deal. I could certainly go back there some day if I ever wanted but I don't see it right now. I now work at a community hospital. I am the medical director of a geriatric psych unit. It is actually a great fit for me because all thosee geriatric patients have lots of medical problems and I can handle the whole thing which makes life a lot less complicated. I also go to 2 nursing homes. One on Wed. afternoons and one all day Thurs. This is the first job I've had where I have had a real appreciation for how special my training is. I really like this job. In fact, it's the best job I've had since residency. I almost hate saying that for fear I will jinx myself. We take call a week at a time. I'm on call now but it's nothing like my call was in PA. Don't know if you remember that. This is totally doable.

Probably way more information than most of you all wanted to know.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 10:51

Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I like raw asparagus- I haven't attempted cooking it, and I see no point in doing so when it's perfectly yummy raw!

Things have been crazy busy here with Passover coming up. I have extra shopping, cleaning, etc. I even had to get chametz-free food for my hamster!

Chametz is the Hebrew term for grains (wheat, oat, barley, spelt or barley) that has gotten wet at some point and may have started to become leavened. Basically, unless one of these flours has been baked into matzah in carefully controlled conditions (making sure its' baked quickly after adding water, etc) then you have to assume that the grains are chametz, and unsuitable for use on Passover. We're not even allowed to own or derive benefit from chametz during Passover, so I can't feed the hamster the regular hamster food since it has wheat and oats in it. So I had to go to the health food store and buy some millet and flax seeds and roasted soybeans to mix together for the little guy to eat during Passover. I don't eat millet or legumes during Passover (or feed them to my kids or to human guests) but fortunately the rules about pet food are more leniant than the rules about people food!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 16:16
Registered Member

Wow, rules for hamsters during Passover. I didn't know that detail.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
my CO soaked sardines as usual

Please explain what you do to your sardines, my mind is boggling!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 18:27
Registered Member

Larry's sardine breakfast is infamous but I'll let him tell you about it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-08, 20:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffles
Please explain what you do to your sardines, my mind is boggling!
I seem to have that effect on lots of people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by petra65
Larry's sardine breakfast is infamous but I'll let him tell you about it.
Well.... I cheated and copied a couple of old posts below that tell about my “infamous” breakfast.

I regularly eat a can of sardines for breakfast. They are 26 gm and I am just barely into the 34 gm range per PPLP. I have a half slice of blue cheese and a slice of American cheese on top of the sardines which I heat so the cheese is just starting to melt. Then I have Half and Half to drink so I think the milk/cheese protein gets me up close to what I need. I add coconut oil, two teaspoons about, and more olive oil to what was already in the can with the sardines. All total there may be a quarter cup of olive oil in the dish.

In a later post, I said that I chop this “mix” up to which Lisa replied
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaz8605
THANK YOU for adding what you did because it was a big A-HA!! moment for me when I read you got boneless, skinless ones AND chopped them up with cheese. So it's like a cheesey sardine casserole. <chuckle> Again, very creative and using ingredients that give you a great nutritional bang for your buck!
I found that sardines are actually dry inside, so the CO and olive oil helps moisten them. Mashing them up into as small a pieces as I can gives more surface for the oil to coat. That helps to get all the oil eaten when you are using a fork, as I do. Then since I am a guy living alone, I lick the plate clean so I don’t miss any of the good fat!

This was in the “High-fatters thread” so thus the emphasis on the fat percentages.
I have most of my fat in the morning. That is about 85 gm of olive oil and 14 gm of coconut oil added to a can of sardines. The can has 22 gm fat (olive oil and that in the fish), 0 carb, and 26 gm protein. To this I add a half slice of blue cheese and a full slice of American cheese. That adds an additional 7 gm fat, 2 gm carb, and 4.5 gm protein. Finally my half and half, about 8 oz, adds 24 gm fat, 8 gm carbs, and 8 gm protein. Let's see if I can add this all up right Grand Total = 136 fat, 10 carb and 38.5 protein for 1418 calories. NO WONDER I am not hungry until dark. I have stopped eating lunch.

For those interested in percentages, that is 86.3% fat, 2.8% carbs and 10.8% protein.

Then here is a more detailed post.

And now I will add the current status.

My sister and her husband came up after Xmas in Florida. He got some Sargento 4 Cheese Mexican shredded cheese in a pouch which was not finished when they left. So one morning I decided that it needed to be eaten up and put in on instead of the American. It was really good! That led my to try some cheddar which was also good. Now having tried the Munster cheese at the neighbors, I may switch from the American Cheese FOOD (??) and switch around for fun and variety.

I have now been using about three table spoons of CO and cut the Olive oil accordingly. Like the CO because of the variety of saturated fats it has. Where olive oil is mostly monounsaturated fat. I seem to be getting slow changes for the better in my toe nail fungus because of the added CO.

The truth is, my “dish” is a lot like Pizza, minus the crust (BAD for you) with EXTRA oil (GOOD for you ) with sardines as the meat. I could see using ground round pre-fried, like sloppy joes, as the meat instead of the sardines. Any meat that is chopped/ground up small would work. The idea is to have a high surface area to coat with oil to help you get the oil level you eat up which then supplies most of your energy needs.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 16:51
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

Sardines - yummy snack, I love them right out of the can. Bleu cheese, my favorite. But together?? Gah! And you add American cheese to it? That's worse than... than... butterscotch sauce drizzled over a California roll! Pico de Gallo in coffee! Tuna tacos!!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 17:34
Registered Member

Well now you all know about Larry and his sardines. I haven't had sardines for awhile but maybe I should buy a couple cans to have on hand. I like them heated a little with sour cream. on top.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-08, 19:44

Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Nothing personal Larry, but that breakfast sounds nauseating to me. I can't eat that much oil at once without getting sick!

Now, open up a can of sardines in tomato sauce and add them to a big bowl of mixed baby greens, and add some lemon juice, about 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and some salt and pepper.......

Darnit! now I'm craving sardines and I don't have any in the house.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 17:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
I can't eat that much oil at once without getting sick!
That is too bad, because that much fat in the morning really fills up my "tank", such that I have stopped eating lunch because I just am not hungry, even when I am doing a lot of physical labor, like the rock fence building.

It does take a while to get used to the HIGH fat but when you do it is great.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-10-08, 19:12

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Sardines are great in this salad:

- hothouse cucumber (ie, "burpless" or seedless), diced
- seeded ripe tomato, diced
- red onion, finely chopped
- flat leaf parsley, chopped
- arugula, chopped