Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-13, 06:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lupin? Pretty flower, never seen the flour. If it doesn't cross my line of sight at Trader Joe's, I don't search out new products. Read it can be cross allergic with peanut. But then I use to be wildly allergic to cashew and no longer am. Does Dr. Davis use it in his recipes?

But now to the more important kitty allergies...the treats have a loooong list of ingredients but no wheat that I see. After anchovy and sardine meal (yum), ground brown rice. Also some oatmeal and flaxseed.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-14, 23:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144.6/141.4/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:

I buy most of my groceries at Trader Joe's! I love that place! They have such a great selection of bagged veggies. I love their blends of greens.

Here's what I love to buy there:

pre-cooked uncured bacon
uncooked uncured bacon
uncured sausages and hot dogs
uncured salami
organic large omega-3 eggs
organic heavy cream
chicken liver pate
sliced rosemary ham
coconut oil and olive oil
nuts and seeds
various fresh meats and poultry
beef with chimmichuri sauce
frozen stuffed mushrooms (not very carby, good as a side dish)
frozen artichoke hearts
lots and lots of cheese! they have such great cheeses!!!
unsweetned coconut milk, coconut cream

I love their shredded broccoli slaw! I stir-fry it and can make it taste all sorts of different ways depending on how I prepare it. It's a good stand-in for rice when you want something to "soak up the sauce."

I use their cauliflower to make a substitute for mashed potatoes. Makes a good topping for low-carb shepherd's pie!

I don't buy any nut flours or nuts for anyone else in the house. Everyone else is allergic to nuts and legumes (husband and kids) so I'm the only one who eats the nuts and I can't cook with nut flours or almond or soy milks.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-14, 08:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

There isn't a TJ's convenient to me, but when i worked near one, about 7-8 years ago, there are some things i still remember loving:

1. $3 chuck- i was only 21-23 when i had that job- money was tight post-college!
I would still buy it now, as cooking wine, or wine to make a lowcarb sangria.

2. frozen salmon and frozen mahi burgers- sooo convenient. you just bake them.
toppings: mahi with fresh salsa and sour cream
salmon with wasabi aioli and goat cheese
either with aioli and maybe sf relish

3. these little snack packs of celery with pb to dunk (the pb is not totally sf, but the portion control made the trade off worth it to me).

of course, i loved all the cheese, produce, etc.....the above 3 things just still stand out in my memory (which is impressive 7 years later, so they must have been good!).
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-14, 12:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Lupin? Pretty flower, never seen the flour. If it doesn't cross my line of sight at Trader Joe's, I don't search out new products. Read it can be cross allergic with peanut. But then I use to be wildly allergic to cashew and no longer am. Does Dr. Davis use it in his recipes?

But now to the more important kitty allergies...the treats have a loooong list of ingredients but no wheat that I see. After anchovy and sardine meal (yum), ground brown rice. Also some oatmeal and flaxseed.

Lupin flour doesn't come from TJ's. I ordered it online. I don't know if Dr. Davis uses it. It is pretty unknown in most low carb circles. I think someone here turned me on to it.

Lupini beans are a common thing in Italy. That is what they make lupin flour out of.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Feb-12-14, 01:35

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I think someone here turned me on to it.

It wasn't me. I bought it because you bought it.

Must figure out what to do with this stuff.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-01-15, 05:07

Rumor on another Paleo forum...Trader Joe's now carries frozen Grilled cauliflower and Riced Cauliflower, which if anyone needs a quick base or side for say a crockpot meal...this cuts out a messy, time consuming step. Microwave the Riced Cauliflower a minute and done. I haven't seen it yet.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-15, 08:02

BF:

Quote:
Rumor on another Paleo forum...Trader Joe's now carries frozen Grilled cauliflower and Riced Cauliflower, which if anyone needs a quick base or side for say a crockpot meal...this cuts out a messy, time consuming step. Microwave the Riced Cauliflower a minute and done. I haven't seen it yet.

whoa! i might have to make a trip out to the suburbs to load up on the riced cauli! i love it, but it is a real pain.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-15, 08:29

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Don't want to be Debbie downer but I heard that the Hollandaise sauce was so great at Trader Joe's so I went there specifically for that and sorry to say, it was horrible to me. I took one taste and blah...then another and yuck.
IDK if it was mishandled or what, It is in the refrigerated section but it sure didn't taste like any Hollandaise sauce I had ever had...
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-02-15, 09:34

Trader Joes will take back Anything..and be nice about it too. Have receipt if not branded like produce or just bring back any TJs item and tell him you didn't like it..they truly want your feedback.
Oh also, they will OPEN any product and let you taste it in the store too!

Robin,
SO..the deal in NC is...Grilled Cauliflower was added a month ago and is in stock. The Riced is brand new, first two cartons came in Saturday and are ...gone. I ordered some, will be in Friday Morning. So it should be orderable in the DC burbs also because I think we use the same TJ warehouse. Crazy as this sounds, Call ahead and order your Riced Cauliflower!

Also newish, and bright purple in color, is Beet Hummus at 3 net carbs. Just gorgeous on a veggie platter.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-02-15 at 10:39.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 11:21

BF:

Quote:
SO..the deal in NC is...Grilled Cauliflower was added a month ago and is in stock. The Riced is brand new, first two cartons came in Saturday and are ...gone. I ordered some, will be in Friday Morning. So it should be orderable in the DC burbs also because I think we use the same TJ warehouse. Crazy as this sounds, Call ahead and order your Riced Cauliflower!

Also newish, and bright purple in color, is Beet Hummus at 3 net carbs. Just gorgeous on a veggie platter.

thanks Janet! that is very helpful, and i will be n th lookout for purple hummus
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Jun-03-15, 23:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Don't want to be Debbie downer but I heard that the Hollandaise sauce was so great at Trader Joe's so I went there specifically for that and sorry to say, it was horrible to me. I took one taste and blah...then another and yuck.
IDK if it was mishandled or what, It is in the refrigerated section but it sure didn't taste like any Hollandaise sauce I had ever had...

On top of that, you wouldn't guess what I went through to finally get that jar of hollandaise sauce.

First time I went I searched in the sauce area. Then found a girl (young 17?)and asked her where the hollandaise sauce was. She looked at me funny after a pause she said, "Seasonal".... I wasn't sure what she meant So I replied, what? Seasonal, only certain times a year. So I thought, oh well and left.

Then as I drove away I kept going over our short conversation and started to think that she didn't know what Hollandaise sauce was and thought I had said "Holiday Sauce" lolol
So I inquired with my friend again about the HS and she said that it wasn't on the isle anyway, it's in the area with yoghurt and it's up high above...

So I decided to try again.

Well, this Trader Joe's is very small and the parking is even smaller. I circled over and over looking for a spot at least 10 minutes, even sitting for one parking space to open up. Finally I went in for my Hollandaise sauce, armed with the information of where it was located......

Still couldn't find it and got a fellow to show me where it was. It was up so high in the open refrigerator section that it was above my head. It's perishable and has an expiration date...not shelf stable.
Ah, finally I got my sauce.

Went home and opened it right away and armed with a spoon for my first taste I spooned it into my mouth expecting this wonderful sauce
and not sure with that first taste I took a second bite only to reaffirm myself that it was horrible. It's perishable and has an expiration date...not shelf stable.

Yes, I could have returned it but I didn't want to spend the afternoon driving into traffic to get there and parking and honestly I just said forget it and tossed it into the trash...

Oh well, what else is good there. I need a reason to go back...

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Jun-04-15 at 00:04.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 03:19

Meme, sorry you ran into such problems at your TJ, good help is hard to find
Texas has many other good grocery options, if I were still in Plano, I would go to Central Market and Whole Foods too, so TJs better shape up.
My TJ store here was the first in NC, still has many of the same management team and employees as the day it opened eight years ago. Very well run and friendly helpful folks. I buy 95% of groceries there, so my answer is almost everything in store.

For specific list of foods, just start at post #1 here, then follow my link to another TJ thread. In that thread, I even posted a shopping list. (Which I now forget how to do, sorry!) I could email it to you.

In general, prices are good for many canned and jarred LC items, like olives, wild salmon, olive oils, vinegar (try white balsamic), sun-dried tomatoes (I make this simple recipe way too often,and with jarred garlic http://everydaypaleo.com/sun-dried-tomato-chicken-bake/) coconut cream, nut butters (recently added RAW almond butter in addition to organic Almond butter), stevia extract, etc.
Frozen veggies and berries..thin French green beans very popular and good, pepper mixes (another quick meal with their chicken sausages), other frozen veggies I'll purée into a quick side.
Boxed organic broths, bags of almond meal and flaxmeal, full fat yogurts, and ALL cheeses and deli meats, bacons. Grass-fed items in fresh meats and cheese are noted with special signs. There is Grass-fed ground beef and a few other items in Frozen also from New Zealand. Frozen wild caught fish excellent prices. Coffee, tea and wine...big savings. Many other specific suggestions if you wander back through these two TJ threads. You can also find many lists on-line, TJ has a crazy fan base

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jun-04-15 at 04:41.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 08:05

BF:

"holiday sauce"

Sorry Meme, hope next trip is better. in the meantime, i think this is so funny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdB7GDZY3Pk
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 08:39

BF:

Thanks for the tops Janet and the recipe link. Looks good!!

Robin, Thanks....That was one interesting video and I just kept thinking that all her frozen things were thawing out. I did watch a few other videos and they were funny.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jun-05-15, 16:57

The Riced Cauliflower is a Keeper! Organic, a Product of Itay, 3 servings a bag, 30 calories, 5 g carbs, 2 g fiber. $1.99.
Preferred Instructions is for StoveTop prep. Just put it in a pan until hot. Let any excess water cook off (I had no excess water, maybe my stove was too hot?) but whatever, it was hot, al dente, not mushy, not raw, just perfect in a few minutes! Also perfect small, same rice sized bits...which mine never were. When frozen is better and cheaper and easier, it goes in my cart.