Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 19:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Talking Amusing Success Incident

Hi guys, just thought I would share something.

The weather here on the gold coast has been a tad blustery, to say the least, so I dug out my jeans from last winter.

Well, I put them on, and just paused. I pulled the waist out. I grabbed the excess demin around the legs. I turned around to look at my rear. I then tugged my jeans down.

To my total amazement, I can get my jeans over my hips WITHOUT undoing the button or the zip!

I did this 3 times, laughing louder each time.

This was just such a wonderful suprise to me, as I see myself every day, I hadn't realised how much weight I have lost. Sure the scales talk, but this was just the positive reassurance I needed, as well as putting a huge smile on my face.

Be well and LoCarb.

Love

Rey

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 20:10
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Show off!!!

Ah, one of these days I'll be showing off, too.

Goodonya mate! (again!)

27 pounds, I'm still in awe.
Go Reymi!!!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 02:12

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 178/145/147
BF:
Progress: 106%
Default wowowo

Wowowo Reymi, What a great feeling that must be. I am so HAPPY for you, and yes I agree with Rosebud one of these days................ Marg........
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 02:27

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Exclamation re: jeans

Congratulations! That's awesome! That is such a fantastic feeling..you must be more motivated than ever! I have quite a few pairs of jeans I am looking to get into with ease..thanks for the motivation!
Keep up the good work!

#5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 04:43

Stats: 146/135/132
BF:
Progress: 79%
Talking Well done

I am envious!! I now have clothes that are too big for me - but I have one favourite skirt which I wore as part of my going-away outfit after Rog & I married 8 years ago. I cannat get it past my bum! Do you think it is too much to expect that I will ever fit into it again??? - (I have had 2 children since then)

Part of me is determined to get into it - the other part if me thinks that it is an unreachable goal

Well done anyway.

Lucy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-02, 09:22

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 236/202/150
BF:
Progress: 40%

Good for you Reymi, well done, and what a great way to find out how "lean" you are.

Lucy, don't be discouraged, it will happen. We are all so lucky because we know how to do it, all we have to do is put it in to practice AND WE CAN ALL DO THAT!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 05:10

Plan: Natropaths Diet
Stats: 232/228/100
BF:
Progress: 3%

SUPER
Reymi that has just inspired me to pull my finger out and try a bit harder watch out Christmas a new me
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-22-02, 19:22

Plan: Induction
Stats: 63/55/50 Female 174cm
BF:
Progress:
Talking ANOTHER GOLD COASTER

Hi Reymi. I'm also from the Gold Coast, and I have just started the Atkins diet with great success. I would love to contact you buy email, if you wouldn't mind!

You can contact me at elle_cooke~email.com

I am having trouble finding some low carb products that I find listed on these sites!

Hope to hear from you soon,
Elle.

Last edited by Elle : Tue, Apr-23-02 at 01:55.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 04:27

Stats: 249/193/160
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default Hi Elle

Welcome to the wonderful world of low carb!

Since that post I can now fit into my old jeans from forever ago and am so happy and feeling great. One of my friends who I hadn't seen for months saw me over the weekend and couldn't believe it!

I can't tell you all how amazing Atkins and LoCarbing really is. I can't weight till I see my doctor on friday for my next weigh-in - I am going to just blow him away again.

Did I tell you I love Atkins?

/hugs everyone on the lo carb journey

Rey

PS. Elle - I will email you now. Hope we cross on icq soon.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 17:06

Plan: Atkens
Stats: 164/160/121
BF:
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up Gold Coast Newie.....

Hi Everyone;

I'm from the Gold Coast and I just started the Atkins diet. I've been on it for 5 days and last night I broke it. 5 days is just about a record for me to stay on a diet. - but I've lost 4 pounds.
Takeaway seems to be a bad idea.
Does anyone know where you can order Atkins friendly home delivery ? - or even take away for that matter.
I ended up ordering ribs (which were covered in sauce) and I got my hubby a pizza. Of course I ended up eating a couple of slices of pizza as well as the ribs. So this morning I woke up with a burnt sugar taste in my mouth.- Yuck.

I tried to order the muffins from the "picture of health" website but they want $10 for delivery. Which means I'm paying $30 for muffins I don't know I'll be able to eat. I tried the atkins muffins and if they are anything like those, they'll go straight in the bin. Can anyone tell me what they are like? If they are worth ordering etc.

I'm also wondering about Alcohol. I do LOVE it. What is permitted? I've heard vodka,lime and soda is the best? Can anyone comment?

Thanks everyone for posting to the boards. I was relieved to find so much support. Good luck to everyone.

Nicky
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 17:13

BF:
Question One more question.....

I just have one more question.
What vitamins is everyone taking?

I take TresosB( 2daily), Sprillium (6, 3x daily), Folate(1 daily) and Thermo Trim (2, 3x daily) - contains Chromium, Brindelberry etc...

I've started getting bruises, so I must be missing something. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Nicky
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 17:37
Forum Moderator

BF:
Smile

Hi Nicky, (Reymi, I know you won't mind if we borrow your thread for a minute )
You're best to avoid alcohol while on Induction. Did you know that the body will use the calories from the alcohol before it uses those from food?
If you can't do without, red wine and spirits have no carbs and are therefore your best choices. Just watch what mixers you use with the spirits. For instance, the lime in vodka, lime and soda is usually lime cordial. Sugar! Ick! Scotch or brandy and soda would be okay. Be very wary of diet soft drinks. Some people (me for example!) find that artificial sweeteners act like sugar on the body - I stall as soon as I use AS. Other folk are just fine so it's one of those YMMV (your mileage may vary) things.

Vitamins:
There seems to be a consensus here that a good multivitamin, calcium, magnesium and potassium are essential. Leg cramps are common in the absence of Cal, Mag and potassium. Try to find a calcium tablet that has ½ as much mag as cal. I use "Natural Nutrition." You should be taking 1000cal/500mag daily. Potassium is a bit different. Blackmores make a potassium compound that I used to take but I found that using a sprinkle of potassium salt substitute works just as well and is much cheaper! Just look in the supermarket hear the real salt and you'll find it. I can't remember the name - either Nu salt or No Salt.

I also take L-Glutamine and Chromium (prevent the sweet cravings), Fish Oil capsules (mainly for arthritis and cholesterol), Vitamin C and Vitamin E.

I don't know what could be causing the bruising. I haven't heard of that being mentioned before with low carbing. In fact if the bruising is new and happening for no reason, I would strongly urge you to see you GP for some blood tests.
Have a good look around the whole of this site, Nicky, (not just the Aussie section). Ther's a "General Health Issues" section that might be able to give you more help.
Cheers, mate.

Rosebud
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 17:55

BF:
Cool Thanks !

Rosebud;

Thanks for the tips. I'll try to stay clear of Alcohol .... I'll try - that's all I can promise.
I take your point about AS - I should lay off the diet drinks.

The bruises aren't bad - I only have two - I don't normally get them so I thought they would be related. Maybe they aren't. I'll give it a week and head to the doc if they don't stop coming.

I notice that you've lost 33% - I'm dead jealous - Congratulations.

Thanks again for your tips and such a quick reply. I look forward to staying on the board and misplacing some of my fat.

Nicky
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 18:24
Forum Moderator

BF:
Smile

Hello again Nicky.
I just had a peek at your profile and got a bit of a fright.
Are you really 168 cms or 5 foot 7?
If you are, you have very little weight to lose.
100 lbs is WAY too low.
Have you heard of the BMI? If you haven't (please excuse me if you have) it's body mass index and is calculated by dividing body weight in kilos by height in metres squared.
That gives you a BMI currently of 26.
100 lbs or 45.45 kg would give you a BMI of only 16. That is truly unrealistic and definitely underweight.
Some authorities say that for optimum health, BMI should be 20 to 25. Others say 18 to 25. So if you aim at, say, 121 lbs (55kg) you would have a BMI of 19.5, very slim and much healthier.
Nicky, I'm sorry to rouse at you, but I've seen too many people (I'm an RN) with eating disorders and don't want to see it happen to an Aussie who lives just down the road.
{{{hugs}}}

Rosebud
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-23-02, 18:38

BF:
Thumbs up It's okay - really

Rosebud;

Thanks so much for your concern.
I have heard of the BMI and I DON'T want to be 45 kgs.
I was guessing what I was in pounds - I only know it in kgs.
I multiplied my kg weight by 2 instead of 2.5.
I'm 77kgs = 192lb.
I figure I have 22 kgs to lose - to get to my goal of 55kgs
(I'd be really happy to get to 65kgs).
If I times 22 by 2.5, I get 55lbs to lose. So my correct goal would be 137lb.
Sorry to concern you. When I signed up I didn't realise the figures would be shown to anyone, so I was just doing quick calculations in my head.
Any clue on how to update my figures online?

Nicky