Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-09, 20:23

Plan: now
Stats: 170/160/135 Male 68
BF:
Progress:
Default Lowering my cholesterol?

So I went to the doctor and it was 222. Low hdl only 44. Tri 148 and ldl 148 + 30 vldl. So I needed to make life stlye changes. I have asthma so I hate exercise. I'm 33 male. So I thought diet would be enough. So less meat and more beans, fiber, legumas, nuts, some fruit, etc. No more transfat and less saturatede fat. That was april 10 2009.

June 2nd 2009 it went down to 160 just diet and no exercise. HDL is not the best 39 but triglyceriods are only 104 now. Also LDL is only 100now +21 vldl.

So just diet and no exercise. The problem is that is 62 pionts. Nobody believes me. My mom even said it can't go down that much in only 2 months. They must of made a mistake or tested it wrong she said. Get it done again.

So how long do I wait before getting it tested again? And is it even possible those are accurate and not false results.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 09:20

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Personally, I would trust the results. I think though that you would be safe eating meat AND, believe it or not, your HDL levels should rise if you begin adding saturated fat to your diet. I would start with coconut oil. Here is some info on it.
http://coconutresearchcenter.org Also begin supplementing with vitamin D3. Actually, just a few years ago your cholesterol total was considered a little on the low side of normal.

Doing the math your first ratios were
Your total cholesterol divided by HDL was 4.4---ideally you want that to be under 4. still not something to panic about.
Your LDL divided by HDL was 3.14---ideally you want that to be under 3. Still not a panic situation.

Your new ratios however are 4.1 and 2.7 . These ratios have improved reasonably if I did my math right. And on page 47 and 48 of the book Protein Power there was a test study done on a group of people that had very similar results as your own. I highly recommend this book by Drs. Michael and Mary Dan Eades for more info.

You might want to re check this by dividing the total cholesterol with your HDL which should be under 4.
Then divide your LDL with your HDL which should be under 3.

If you want to get the test again, wait at least 8 weeks then go for it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 10:42

BF:

I would also like to share this pod cast with you.

http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/...e-1/#comment-82
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 09:38

BF:
Progress:

Well I've been eating processed foods, red meat, saturated fat, and a lot of junk my entire life hdl has never been over 50. Besides saturated fat raises my ldl also and that is not good.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 15:38

BF:

Not all saturated fats are equal namely, coconut oil. Did you read the link on coconut. Really read it. You are so certain that coconut oil has contributed to raising your LDL. So what will rise your HDL? Plus I just read that it is more important to look at your HDL/triglycerides ratios.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 21:48

BF:
Progress:

I was just saying saturated fat in general. I've never tried coconut oil before so I got 2 jars from wholefoods 360 virgin expeller pressed. I'll give it a try. But as for the argument I just saw this.

http://www.healthcastle.com/coconut...ted-heart.shtml

It says its bad so I don't know what to believe now.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 14:51

BF:

Yes, lots of misinformation here. Isn't it funny that the food that we survived on for centuries is now deemed unsafe. Does it really make sense that the key to makind's survival is also the root of its destruction? I just got these test results yesterday. My total cholesterol is 179. Triglycerides are 67, LDL is 77 and HDL is 89. I eat coconut oil , MCT oil,butter, cream. I just got these test results yesterday.

I'd like to share this pod cast of a triathlete.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...eans-our-cells/
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-09, 23:25

BF:
Progress:

What was it before, total cholesterol? Last time before this? What is MTC oil? And your numbers are low so that's good as long as it doesn't go up much. High hdl is good but if ldl also goes up everytime that's not good. Cuz some say the coconut oil lowers ldl and some say it raises so I'm not sure which it is?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 08:25

BF:

Coconut oil raises HDL. As long as the ratios are good, I don't worry about my cholesterol. Actually my numbers were lower, if I recall correctly. As long as the ratios are good, there is no need to worry. I am sure that my HDL is higher this time than it was before but I will check it to give you a difinite answer. But did you get a chance to read this http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org MCT oil is medium chain triglycerides which is made from coconut oil.

I want extra fats and nutrient dense foods in my diet. I want to keep my diet ketogenic. Ketones is a natural by-product that maintains healthy bone and muscle tissues. It also maintains healthy organ tissues. I prefer ketones as opposed to glucose to give me my energy for the day. So not only do I use those as my fat sources, I also use butter and cream. Using them for energy aslo reduces the likelyhood of them being stored in my body. I want to put fat to good use. I have been living a low carb lifestyle for nearly 7 years. My only regret is not doing this years ago.

I also try to keep coconut products as a regular part of my diet. I have some tasty muffins that I will be eating for breakfast that are made from coconut flour. I will also have and egg with home fries that I made from celery root and onions fried in coconut oil. Then I will take my fat soluble vitamins one of them is vitamin D which is processed through cholesterol. I think it is more important to worry about your vitamin D levels. I also believe that healthy vitamin D levels will raise your cholesterol...another reason I don't worry about my cholesterol. It's s'posed to be there.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 20:05

BF:
Progress:

Well I just checked again today. Now its 132 total. And hdl is down to 34 so I guess I have to give the coconut oil a try. And I'm reading on the internet a lot of studies also say eggs raise hdl.

Anyhow why can't I attach files here.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-09, 23:21
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0078265317
Well I've been eating processed foods, red meat, saturated fat, and a lot of junk my entire life hdl has never been over 50. Besides saturated fat raises my ldl also and that is not good.

No actually, not really. Read the first stickied post in this forum.

As long as your triglycerides are low, your LDL cholesterol is going to be large, fluffy and harmless. It's when you have small LDL that you have problems. Funny thing is, you can have less LDL but if it's small, you'll end up with a heart attack anyway.

So concentrate on having low triglycerides and high HDL and you'll be fine.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-09, 09:51

BF:
Progress:

So how do I lower triglyceroids. They are 89 right now.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 09:32

BF:

Quote:

Your tris are already low. Don't worry.

http://www.freetheanimal.com/root/2...l-nonsense.html
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-06-09, 09:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:

Triglycerides come from eating carbs. 89 isn't bad. Under 60 is even better. But your LDL is going to look higher than it really is. Use the LDL calculator in that first stickied post (last posting in that thread), it'll tell you what it really is.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-09, 14:13

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
So how long do I wait before getting it tested again? And is it even possible those are accurate and not false results.

The whole concept of cholesterol testing is flawed. Apparently, there is not even such a thing as a static, immoveable "level" in your blood anyway. Your cholesterol levels could go up with stress, upon your seeing the nurse approach with the needle, for example. So we are all being totally misled that the level that is measured at this one instant is the level we "always have".

Once upon a time, back in the day, somebody made a machine that could measure cholesterol and, because it could now be measured, it had to be made into something important: why measure it if it is not important???

Cholesterol is important: it is present in every single one of our cells; it is a major component of our brains; it keeps us from getting depressed; if it is low we become susceptible to diseases like Parkinson's disease.

Low levels of cholesterol are associated with higher levels of mortality, suicide and violent behaviour, such as self-harm. The lower your cholesterol is, the higher your chances are of dying before you were "meant to".

If you don't want to buy the book, "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Dr Malcolm Kendrick, you can try looking at the Second Opinions website or look for any of the talks by Malcolm Kendrick on YouTube. Any of these sources will give you some unbiased information about cholesterol and statins.

What's more, cholesterol is only one component of arterial plaque: calcium is another. The question is not which component of this plaque is the "baddie". Maybe it's calcium, not cholesterol: one theory goes that it is cholesterol which is the paramedic that goes along to patch up an injury after it has happened - do you blame the paramedic for the accident he happens to come to? The real question is: what caused the injury to the arterial wall? Blaming the Band-Aid is not the answer.

My own personal theory is that one of the causes could be faulty calcium metabolism. What is calcium doing in our arteries (whether coronary or in our legs) anyway? Why isn't it being put in our bones and teeth, or excreted if there's too much coming in?

The faulty calcium metabolism could be caused by vitamin D deficiency. If you want to look into this issue, then check out the Heartscan Blog to find out more.

Cholesterol is not the baddie that it has been made out to be. Please don't worry about these levels too much.

amanda