Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 14:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

after reading everyone's post i feel kinda silly, like maybe i over reacted. i'm sorry for being so fussy! group hug right back at ya'all! ((((((((((hugs))))))))))
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-01, 16:31

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Talking

'sall right by me, Deb, if you don't say anything, how do we know how you're feeling? I'm glad you brought this up, 'cause I've been mulling over the subject since last night. You got me thinking, girl!

Hug back atcha,
Rachel
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-13-01, 18:38

Plan: My own (based on a compil
Stats: 333/260/224 Male 73 ins
BF:
Progress: 67%

I like this thread. Came across it fifteen minutes ago, and I have enjoyed reading every entry. If anyone wants to know why we join a forum dedicated to losing weight rather than just buying and reading a good book, let them read this and one or two other threads. Behind the messages can be read so clearly what makes this forum worth belonging to: the respect and love of many different characters enjoying who they are and their relationship to each other, mindful of the consequences of their words and sentiments; the feelings, like that of a family intent on harmony, not strife; and the humour, sometimes subtle, sometimes making you laugh out loud; the inspiration, and all those interactive things we gain from this forum which we could never get from a book. It's great. You're great. But hey, I'd better watch my own words, all this rhetoric could be offending someone... Time to go.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-01, 16:26
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Protien power
Stats: 164/149/130
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Foul language

I like this site very much as it is so positive. I have browsed others and they are quite nasty to each other. No idea is stupid. We are all here to help decided why it may or may not be a good idea. We need each other to stick to this WOL. We are our own minority and need to stick up for each other. I have learned so much in the short time I have been a member. I say keep on keeping on!!
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Aug-27-01, 11:07

Stats: 73/58/57
BF:
Progress: 94%
Smile Power of Words

How come this thread has come to the forefront now? I am very glad it did 'cos it is very interesting and something that I have been thinking about a lot lately.

Language is very powerful. It can make or break.

Debbie I came from a similar up-bringing to yours. My parents never ever used any swear words and I cannot recall a single incident in my childhood when anyone used bad language. On the one hand it lent for harmony and sweetness ... on the other hand I was very easily shocked and tacken aback when I first came to a new location and was surrounded by people for whom every other word is **** and ****. I learned to live with it and adapted as best I could.

I remember the first time I ever used a four letter word everyone in the room just stopped right in their tracks in total shock ... LOL ... The reaction was so profound I went right back to my normal.

When I met my husband he was very careful never to use a swear word. It was only later that I learned that he came from a culture where the art of bad language was very finely refined. It was not long before I had started using some of that language. It got worse and worse. When we started arguing my ears burn at the thought of some of the language he used and I tried to match. It always made the intensity of our arguments unbearable. So much so that it eventually led to violence on his part - and our parting.

This Forum matches my early upbringing. The respect for different views, the love and support that is the main thread running right the way through is what attracted me to it - not to mention the inspiration, honest sharing resulting from the safety, and genuine willingness to progress and help others do the same.

So why have I been thinking about bad language recently? Because there is a website I recently started visiting. It has links which I would like to keep in touch with. But the language leaves a lot to be desired. The chat room can be such fun ... until one person slips into bad language and within seconds the whole atmosphere has deteriorated and degenerated. I have pulled them up on it several times and things are improving but ooooh I am always glad to come back here after a little bout there.

Finally Debbie I think it is people like you - and me - that help to keep the power of words constructive, peaceful, harmonious no matter how hard it is for others to conform to our standards !!

Take care.