Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 14:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/217/160
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Stomach Acid

Since starting my low carb diet 3 days ago, it seems that I have a large amount of stomach acid. Do Tums, etc. have carbs? Are they going to mess up my counts?

Also, is anyone having late evening starvation feelings? We eat around 5:30 p.m. and by 8:00 p.m. I am starving and have no energy. Is this normal.

And another thing, I have lost 7 pounds in my 3 days of dieting - is this normal and has this happend to anyone else?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 14:29

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: Stomach Acid

Quote:
Originally posted by tonmur
Since starting my low carb diet 3 days ago, it seems that I have a large amount of stomach acid. Do Tums, etc. have carbs? Are they going to mess up my counts?

Also, is anyone having late evening starvation feelings? We eat around 5:30 p.m. and by 8:00 p.m. I am starving and have no energy. Is this normal.

And another thing, I have lost 7 pounds in my 3 days of dieting - is this normal and has this happend to anyone else?

Thanks.

First question:
How much water are you drinking a day? You need at least 64 oz plus 8 oz for every 25 pounds you want to loose. That should cut down the stomach acids, and they do go away after a few weeks. I would imagine Tums and other antacids have some carbs in them.

Second question:
Your body just now noticed it has no glucose to burn off and it is whining about being hungry. Feed it something low carb This lack of energy and hunger will pass within a few more days. And yes it happens to most of us that are detoxing our system for the first time.

Third question:
7 pounds in 3 days is terrific! It is mostly water you are losing right now. Low carb diets have a diuretic effect on the system and will flush water like crazy. Which is another reason why you need to drink water! DO NOT dehydrate your system.

Take care
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:41

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Make sure you are eating enough. Low carb is ANYTHING but a starvation diet.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-03-02, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237/217/160
BF:
Progress: 26%
Question Eating Enough

Is it a must to have the 20 carbs a day or can you have fewer in the first two weeks? I have cut back on my eating because I am also trying to shrink my stomach. So, not only am I having the stomach acid, but the poopies as well (sorry for too much info).

#5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-02, 08:39

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

You can go below the 20 carbs a day. However make sure you are consuming at least 10 to 12 times your body weight in calories, AND drink minimum 64 oz of water and 8oz for ever 25 pounds you want to lose.

As LC said, this is NOT a starvation diet. Eating less food and drinking less water than recommended will only cause you to stall and get frustrated.