Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-04-07, 08:49

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 136/135.5/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Spending allot of time preparing foods

Hi Everyone,
What do all of you do to save time preparing all the whole foods that are required on this diet? I'm committed to sticking with it, but sometimes I skip a snack, because I don't have time to make something healthy. I've discovered that having some scrambled eggs ready in the fridge for the mornings I work help. Maybe I should spend an hour or two on Sun. to chop vegetables and have them ready? Anybody have any other tips to share?

Thanks,
Carol

Starting weight:136
Todays weight: 133.5

My husband has lost 4 lbs. in two weeks! Guess he's healthy.
I finally figured out why I'm dizzy when I get up from reading these boards, burned out adrenal glands!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 11:29
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Burned out? Maybe...

Hi Carol,

Your suggestion is a good one - to prepare ingredients in advance. Don't miss a snack if at all possible.

Are your adrenals really burned out? I thought mine were because of the symptoms, but the lab tests didn't bear out my "diagnosis". There's nothing like getting the real numbers from a lab test, but here's a link to a quick quiz you can take that may give you some indications (it was accurate in my case):

http://www.adrenalfatigue.org/burnout.php

Blessings,

-Don
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-07, 11:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/274/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Are you kidding?
Progress: 0%

I try to make a little extra when I'm fixing my dinner at night. Doesn't matter what it is. Been known to have a little leftover roast or maybe some shrimp stir-fry. Like tonight I'm going to fix a hamburger steak with a couple of fried eggs. Will fix an extra hamburger patty to bring to work tomorrow, break it up, add some lettuce & cheese & taco sauce (LC of course) and make a taco salad. Lots of things you can do. I'm not one to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. The key to this WOE is definitely in the PLANNING AHEAD!
Trisha
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-07-07, 06:12

Stats: 136/135.5/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Thanks for the response Don and Trisha. Yes Don, I think my adrenals are burned out. Thanks for the link to the tests. I was yet to allot of those questions, especially fatigue. I have an appointment with a doctor in May (first appointment I could get!) to check my hormones for bioidenticals. I am going to take the book with me and ask her to do the other tests too. I'm glad that yours aren't burned out! I've started gaining weight (after starving on low fat for the last few years). It's a little alarming, but I have to trust what she says.
Thank you Trisha for the tips. Yesterday I fried up several chicken breasts, and froze them in meal size portions to grab quickly and put over salad. Great idea about the hamburger and Taco salad. I'm sure glad this forum is here. I had the strangest sensation yesterday, when I went into the gas station store after work to get a snack, and couldn't fine one that didn't have sugar or carbs in it! Even the jerky was cured with sugar! It's amazing.

Happy Trails,
Carol
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-16-07, 21:07

Plan: Schwarzbein II
Stats: 139/138/125 Female 60.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I need to plan the night before every meal I'm going to eat the next day. I even write it down, what I'm eating and what time. I do all my food prep then, too.

There are some nights that I'm reluctant to do it, but I'm so glad I did the next day!

Some things that are simple:

ricotta cheese (just measure it out into a container)
sliced fresh mozzarella (I weigh it on a kitchen scale)
some almonds and an apple

I also really enjoy raw veggies like green beans and grape tomatoes, and they're super easy to just grab and go.

I'm hoping to get some more menu and snack ideas, though! My biggest problem is keeping my motivation high enough to remember to take care of myself, even when it's getting late and I'm more tired than I want to be while preparing the next day's food.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-03-07, 20:07

Stats: 168.5/160.5/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I do a bit lower fat plan, so for breakfast I eat cold boiled shrimp and chicken, and smoked salmon or trout. I made a couple of batches of turkey chili (no beans) and ate that for breakfasts - well the cowboys did it, lol.
I poach chicken breasts and freeze them 2 to a ziploc, defrost when needed and shred the meat. You can boil water in large pot, add chicken, cover and turn off heat, allow to sit for 25-30 min and remove, pack and freeze. I like them plain,but you can add vegs and salt/pepper to the water if desired.
I also cook and freeze brown rice in small packages.
Bob's Red mill makes some quick cooking cereals that are whole grain.
I also make mashed potatoes with just chicken stock and measure out 1/4 cups, flatten and bake in the oven, at 375 for 45 mins. Cool and freeze, another very quick 'bread' like addition to a meal.

You will make new discoveries as you go and keep checking the recipes -

Ali
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-27-07, 00:30

Plan: paleo/atkins
Stats: 134/134/127 Female 172
BF:
Progress: 0%

Dianna, I'd double check re the raw beans: some raw beans are very poisonous. I was seriously sick after eating raw, soaked kidney beans ones in my vegetarian days...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-07-07, 12:02

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

Steel cut oats, if you are able to tollerate them (we are all in a different place) cook up and refrigerate nicely for the week. I make a big double batch on Sunday or Monday morning and they last thru the week for us both. Very nice in the morning to have only to reheat the oats! And steel cut oats are a whole grain and take about 30 minutes to cook, which is why I cook them ahead.

It's always a good idea to keep a package of mixed nuts or almonds in your daily vehicle, or wherever you spend a lot of time. I do like the half salted mixed nuts, but often get unsalted too.

You can hard boil eggs and peel and keep in containers in the fridge for a fast snack or meal.

Chicken cooked in an oil based dressing (such as Trader Joe's Romano Parmesan dressing, or their Caesar dressing--refrigerated) will store wonderfully in the fridge during the week. When you reheat them, the dressing keeps them moist.

Celery and nut butters on hand always. Bell peppers (I don't eat the green ones, just orange, yellow and red) are great on their own as a sort of fruit break, with a bit of cheese or an egg.

I like to make a nice dip to have on hand for veggies. The dip is loaded with protein! Just mix cream cheese, sour cream or yogurt and if you want a little zip some high quality mayo, and add whatever herbs or spices you like. I use fresh garlic and some dill sometimes. Also, you can go SWEET with this and instead of the spices add stevia (or your choice of sweetener) with some cinnamon. You can turn it into a dip for apple sliced by adding apple pie spices, or make it pumpkin-y with those spices. Dipping JICAMA is a great treat! Tastes like you are eating something *naughty* but it's nice.

I also like to have a can of Traer Joe's canned wild salmon on hand for salads or a fast meal on the go. It's a flip top can and the perfect serving size. There is nothing added, just the wild salmon and it's very VERY mild tasting. Not fishy fishy. You can make ahead a chicken or salmon salad by adding a can to cream cheese and whatever else you can think of.

I like to go a little *gourmet* and add the weirdest ingredients to cure the sweet/savory desires of my tongue: Can of/or fresh chicken breast or salmon. Add to cream cheese and cut up small chunks of about 4th apple, some GREEN olives (funky but yum somehow!), maybe pecans pieces, celery. The sweet apples and strong green olives complement each other and make this a GREAT topper on your mixed greens! You can also as a lot more celery or other veggies and use this as the entire meal on the go!

For sweet cravings I like to experiment with cream cheese and stevia and nuts. You can make little bon bons by mixing stuff with cream cheese and sweetener, nuts or cocoa powder, then freezing and eating in an hour like dessert. You can add peanut or other nut butter equal amount with cream cheese too.

You can get nitrate and nitrite free deli meat at Trader Joe's very cheap compared to the whole foods stores. They have ham, roast beef, pastrami, and two kinds of turkey--all nitrate and nitrate free! I like to roll them up with either cheese or veggie strips inside for a fast snack on the go, or as a lunch meal.

I don't snack much for some reason. I never have been a snack person, just monster size meals (my downfall). So I limmit my portions, which is the key to my personal weight loss. Eating the whole foods repaired my body, reducing the amounts shed the weight, along with movement, but not crazy movement.

If I can think of any others I will post them here. Eat well! --Betty
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-08-07, 16:20

Plan: Schwarzbein II
Stats: 139/138/125 Female 60.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thanks to everyone who has posted so many great ideas for managing food intake. I guess the key to all of this really is going to be planning and staying on top of keeping good choices available.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 22:21

Plan: Like to start Scwarzbien
Stats: 298/290/119 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Hey there, a Dr.S person! Yea! I've just started Dr. S, but I am not new to LC, but knowing it and doing it are two different things.
Here are a couple of things I've done in the past that seem compatiable with Dr. S.:

I make up a huge tuna fish (or salmon, or egg) salad with only mayo, then I can add whatever I think of at the moment to change it up for a quick work lunch. A minor cheat might be (I do 7.5 carbs for snacks) half a bag of South Beach whole wheat envelope crackers. Haven't gotten the ones she has suggested yet.

When I cook on the grill, I cook a second meat for the next night, and extra of even that for lunches. I cook a lot of skinless chicken breasts. First night off the grill, and if I can hide the extra ones from bottomless pit son, I have sliced chicken for either a greens salad, a chicken taco salad or regular mashed chicken salad. Sometimes I take some dip and just dip the chicken "spears" and veggies in it for a quick lunch. I use the Suzanne Somers various flavored salt sea rubs and sprinkle some on when I am marianating the chicken, just sprinkle on as it is cooking if no time to mar., or just flavor the dip itself with one of those salts. I love this stuff, put it on scrambled eggs, on cottage cheese, egg salad, in salads, dressings, with anything that is not sweet. Because there are so many different flavors, a single flavored can lasts a long time and by different flavors, you can make something simple taste great and very different from the last time you used a flavor.

I make up lots of greens, or in a rush, just buy a large (or 2) bags of already prepared salad greens and one of baby spinach.

I will make up either a cole slaw or a cucumber salad for the week. They can be changed up by the ingredients or the dressings.

Cut up red and green pepper strips and have celery in a tall glass in some water keeping crisp.

If I'm in a real rush out the door and if you like them, grap a can of sardine. Always be sure you get the layered pack with the SMALL sardines (Norway brand) and a couple of hard boiled eggs and the mustard bottle. Again, grab some crackers and you are set.

This week, I wrote down on a sheet some meat recipes, listing the meat needed, cookbook and page number, then went back through my books and put an appropriate vegetable and its reference. Then went back again and made not either a simple carb (mostly for dear son, but for me to have my portion of "good" carb out of) or if I had that already written by the meat, then a non-starchy veggie recipe or noted what kind of thing I could do. In doing this I tried to make one thing a simple thing and only one thing that I would need to use a recipe for. That way I am only trying to learn how to do one new dish at a time. By doing this I can see if I have a pfvc planned. I must have done this for about 45 combinations. so I check my freezer for what meats I have on hand, run down the list to find that kind of meat and presto I already know what I'll be fixing. Make a quick pantry check and I'm in business for the week. I don't have to contantly be meal planning and thinking what can do with what. I also made one page of things that will go with just anything and one of sauces. But I know that whatever is on that list is already been checked out as far as being appropriate and it will match the pfvc plan.

I also made a list of quick lunch packer ideas for when my brain isn't up yet.

Well hopes this helps you out. Blessings
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jul-27-07, 22:25

Plan: Like to start Scwarzbien
Stats: 298/290/119 Female 5 feet, 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Oh, ps. Also made sort of generic staple grocery list for canned things, frozen and often used types of meat and veggies. I will type it out on computer, making several copies then as I check ingredients in pantry and recipes, I can just put a check by them, and any unusual things for the week at the bottom and take that list to the store. This way don't have to keep writing a list, in fact, (mind flash here) I hope I will start a list at the first of the week and check off anything that comes up as I go through the week when I notice it. That should save some time as well. Next week just run off a new list and start checking it.

Well I hope these didn't seem too obvious, but they are things that helped me in the past. Oh, as I make a recipe, I write notes in my cookbook on that page as to how I tweaked it or DS liked (or not) it. So my menu planning list only has the name of the recipe, the book and page number, so when I look it up next time the notes are already there.

One more thing I did was reorganize my kitchen so my processor, cutters and blender is close at hand. Bigger things like crock pot, pressure cooker are also easier to get to, but not on the counter.

There aren't too many current and new Dr. Sers on here, so let's keep in touch. Well, more blessings!

Last edited by HappyHeart : Fri, Jul-27-07 at 22:31.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-20-07, 11:41

Plan: Schwarzbein now
Stats: 280/240/140 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Thanks for all the suggestions.