Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 03:22

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 143/143/128
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Can't sleep & sweet cravings

Lately, I haven't been sleeping well. This is becoming a problem - I end up tossing and turning in bed the whole night and come morning, I'm so, so, so, tired I have been taking magnesium and calcium before going to bed and when I asked some friends that also take them then, they said that they should actually help you sleep! Schwarzbein also mentions that they should be taken in the evening. I didn't have any last night, but still could not fall asleep. Come evening, I'm just so wide awake!
Also, I'm having a hard time letting go of Aspartame (sp.?). I still get my sweet cravings now and then... Problem is i totally want to get rid of these cravings and just can't seem to do it. I'm not craving major stuff (in the past my cravings would get so bad... once for breakfast I had Kitkat, Mars, Snickers, and Bounty - no joke - just sad and binged at my desk at work!!!) So I have to admit that I've dramatically improved...but still... What to do???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 08:41

Plan: Barry Groves - Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/173/142
BF:
Progress:

Hi Boo,

In the beginning I had trouble sleeping too and was also very hot, It should pass, why don't you try taking the suplements a little earlier in the afternoon.

I don't know if you're feeling hot too but apparently, if your getting hot it's because your fat burning and one night I was so bad I got up and spent half the night posting about is as I was having so much trouble. Don't know about the sweet cravings though...mine's usually OJ or apples.

I look at the positive things to keep me going, my nails, hair and skin are wonderful.

Bez

#3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-01, 18:59

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
I'm having a hard time letting go of Aspartame (sp.?). I still get my sweet cravings now and then... Problem is i totally want to get rid of these cravings and just can't seem to do it.

Boo,
You might be like some of us. The artificial sweeteners trigger the cravings. Try to get off of the Aspartame and all artificial sweeteners for a week and see how it goes.

At night my cravings would drive me crazy! So I started making whipped cream, no sweeteners. I would eat 1/4 cup and feel like I'd just treated myself to something heavenly. You can put in bits of a vanilla bean.

I found that my energy level went up when I first started and I had some trouble getting to sleep too. I understand what you said about your breakfast. Been there, done that, glad those days are over...
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 08:13
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ka3n's right Boo. The best way to deal with sweet cravings is not to give in to them. Easier said than done but an entirely worthwhile project to work on. You will be thrilled to be free of the sugar demon, artificial or not!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 11:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/168/140
BF:
Progress:
Red face me too!

Hi Boo,
I can't sleep either. I am on going on day 4 and haven't slept a whole night through in 3 days. I am hoping that tonight is better. It is evening time here and I feel like I am already ready for bed. But I was just as tired last night but didn't get to sleep until about 3:30. I hope this passes soon.
Rene'
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-01, 21:24

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 230/218/170
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default sleep aid herbs

Here are some herbs that you should be able to find in a healthfood store or a pharmacy.

These promote rest and relaxation:
Kava Kava
Valarian

These promote sleep:
California Poppy Seeds
Passion Flower

Some herbal companies combine them in teas or capsules. Check with your phamacist or doc if your on any meds first.
Another thing that helps people, especially with jet lag and getting your body rhythm regulated is Melatonin. Warm baths and relaxation tapes/CDs can help, too.

Katherine