Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 08:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: -/175/145 Female 5ft 6in
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie ? for DR

Hello all - newbie here. I have an appointment w/my PCP 4/29. Want to run down history to get input to bring to appointment. Pls review and comment - many thanks!
40yr, wfemale, 2children, work full-time, 2yrs ago PCP sent me to neuro for MS work up...arm weakness+ muscle pain, headaches behind eyes, bi-lateral nystagmus, dizzy - Finds: bi-lateral nystagmus (duh..) bi-lateral carpal tunnel..everything else was in my head.

on atkins lost 20lb - feel good - still nystagmus, tried, muscle aches...

fast forward 2yrs....gained 20lb back, all finger nails have ridges from bed to tip, exhustion, exhustion on excerise - (no relife), hair limp, cold always (this has alway been) dry/senative skin, history of hives on face and neck (break out all the time but nothing shows on testing) - 5yrs ago sun senativety on neck (swell up with heat/sun..no sunburn)...this now happens everytime in sun/heat (even under umbella) neck, face, rash - swell for up to 5-7days...NO s.. drive, v-hist 4yrs ago for cervical cancer, brain Fog, can't concentrate.....

SX I have always had....feeling cold Always, low normal temp, hx of hives, slow to dead metabolism...

I think PCP will be open to anything in reason. From what I read here I am looking for FH3 FH4, - T3 T4,....yes? no?

Please give me whatever feed back you can
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 09:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It's FT3, FT4 not FH. FT3 is probably the most important test. A good result is you should be somewhere in the top 1/3 of the range on it.

Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 09:56
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi mbs:

Sorry you've been having such a rough go of it.

Along with the TSH, FT4 (Free T4) and FT3 (Free T3), would you also be able to get a cortisol test done? It sounds like you are also exhibiting symptoms of adrenal fatigue as well as thyroid problems.

If your PCP is open to it, ask for an ACTH stim test. The cortisol blood tests (which he may want to order instead) really don't tell you that much. In all honesty, having a conventional doctor take adrenal fatigue seriously is next to impossible.... but it's worth a try.

When you get your results, make sure they give you a copy (with the lab ranges) and post them here.

Good luck!

Wanda
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 10:17

BF:
Progress:

Well, as I read and pop around your wonderful site I almost fell off my chair.!
NO tea? (OMG, I have been drinking increasing amount as my engery levels fall..)
NO flax...been taking 2000 - 4000mg of flaxseed oil off/on for close to 2yrs
NO Soy....drinking soy milk as I am peri menapousal
And raw veggie....eating all the ones I probably shouldn't.....

I reason I finally am seeking tx is because the engery level is killing me! and I can't tolerate the sun - first outdoor soccer game of the season sitting under the umberla sent my face and neck to the moon! I actually have develope a perminent dry red spot in the middle of my neck where the rash starts...can take up to 12hrs to come out spreads up the neck into the face swells the eye and takes 5-10days to totally go away!

I do think my pcp will work with me since he was very surprise at both neuro's 2yrs ago that said everything was in my head.

I will ask for all the test suggested and will report for feedback.

Any and all suggestion to tell PCP would be appreicated.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-05, 10:19

BF:
Progress:

WCollier can you tell expand on this "exhibiting symptoms of adrenal fatigue" ..?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, May-03-05, 12:14
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi mbs:

I'm sorry I missed your post before your appt.... I was out of town.

Often adrenal and thyroid symptoms can overlap, but what struck me is that you have hives and feel dizzy. Those are adrenal symptoms. The muscle aches could also be Fibromyalgia, which is often a combination of thyroid and adrenal problems.

At the bare miniumum, you need to get thyroid, adrenals and your sex hormones tested.

Here's a great link on "Adrenal Fatigue" you might find helpful. Also, Dr. Rind has a helpful scorecard to look at.

How did your appt go?

w