Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 15:08

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%
Lightbulb Need fast food suggestions!

Hi, everyone! Today as I was typing in my journal (under the J's, if you're interested) I commented that when I went to Wendy's today and ordered two of their 'Big Bacon Cheeseburgers', I found that it worked out to be a lot of $ for not a lot of food. Obviously, if I'd eaten the buns, that would have made it a very large meal, but without all that stuff, it worked out to be couple cheeseburger patties with a little bacon and tomato. It tasted great, but it was pricy for what I got, especially since I just did the drive-through (6$)

Any suggestions on good, fast stuff that I can get either at a fast food place or at the grocery? Our local supermarket had rotissary chickens on sale, but the label said something about a sugar solution being added. Too bad -- I love rotissary chicken! (Maybe I should get one of those Popeil rotissaries!!!)

I have looked at a lot of the recipes and will use them (I already made the 'French Toast' with pork rinds) but I also need the aforementioned easy ideas, too.

I'm only a few days into induction. So far, so good. Oh, and one other thing...any suggestions for heartburn? I would normally take a Tums but they have sugar and carbs in them.

Thanks! I love reading these boards...could stay on here all day (but my kids wouldn't like that too much!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

Season and then bbq a steak, cut into cubes. It's wonderful cold!! That's a great quick snack. You can buy a whole chicken, they are cheap, rinse, pat dry, place in a roaster,with some sliced onions, squeeze some lemon juice over it, sprinkle with some ginger, salt, pepper and dry mustard, put the squeezed lemon in the cavity then roast. After pick the meat off into baggies with a little roasted onion (NOT much). Some wonderful ziploc baggies of flavorful chicken with sweet onion.

Hardboil a dozen eggs, peal them and voila! Or you can devil them and stick the halves together and pop them in a baggie.

BTW they make these little cooler bags out of fabric and a mylar type material !! They are small not huge plastic coolers of old and would work wonderfully for carrying stuff around.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 15:27

Yes, Jo, I have a couple of the little cooler bags. I use them when I meet friends out and have my 16 month daughter along. they are great for carrying her milk, etc. I'll have to roast a chicken one day soon. I often throw a whole chicken in my crockpot and that's really good, too (the chicken just falls off the bone when it's done) but the skin isn't crispy. And I had deviled eggs just this AM -- very good indeed.

I know that if I eat at a rib joint or at a steakhouse, I'll have no trouble whatsoever finding appropriate meals to eat. But I'm hoping that I can find stuff in the fast food domain, too. Can you tell that I'm not an ambitious cook?!

Time to go refill water bottle! Will check back later...
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 15:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins HIGHLY Modified
Stats: 247/195/135
BF:
Progress: 46%

Oh you can eat in the fast food domain. Del Taco, taco salad meat no beans toss out the shell. McDonald's or any burger joint you can have meat in a bun LOL!! Then give the buns to the birds. Dairy is a staller for me but you can add cheese if it isn't for you. McDonalds has those shaker salads too! Just don't get Thousand Island dressing (my favorite).

You can eat anywhere just make sure you stick to the meat and green veggie side of life LOL.
Jo
PS if ordering burgers or sausage ask if they use any extenders in their meat or if they are 100% meat. Some places may use carbohydrate extenders and those you do want to avoid.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 18:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Joanie...

With the kids I end up eating at fast food places often, when we are on our way home late from an outting etc. I have found Burger King to be the best bang for your buck... I usually get a double whopper sometimes with cheese... no ketchup no onions... I wish I could find a real carb count on their mayo because the burger is better or I find with extra mayo.... this still costs you about $5 but its a huge burger and fills me up. I just take the bottom patty and flip it on the top one.. then use a knife and fork to eat it...

happy low carbing
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 21:11

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys! I forgot about those salad shakers...that's a good idea. If I'm just doing the drive-through (like today) I can use my own dressing at home, too. I'll have to check out Taco Bell. Think I read some others talking about the taco salad. But it would be hard to throw away the taco shell; I like those a lot.

BK double whoppers are also a good idea. I'm supposed to do a play group at "Chuck E. Cheese" this Friday. May just bring a salad or something with me because I don't think they are going to have a lot of Atkins stuff there. Of course, I'll be chasing kids around so I may not have time to worry about eating!

Hey, tlcdoula...are you a doula by trade?! I had hired a doula when I was pregnant with my daughter, but unfortunately I had to have an emergency c-section instead. The doula was so kind...I was really bummed I couldn't use her!

Thanks again for the great ideas. I'm also looking for recipe suggestions -- easy things that take no time but taste good, like the parmesan chips I made or that great French Toast recipe. So if you have specific recommendations in that arena, let me know. I have looked at the listed recipes and will use them, but I get really excited when I hear about something easy and yummy and "legal" for Atkins.