Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 18:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/239/150
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default new here

Hi everyone. I've been reading here for most of this month, while I've been on induction/Atkins. I started on 1/2 and have lost 11 pounds so far. I love this WOE, I feel better than I have ever felt in my life, and I vow to never go on another starvation diet again in my lifetime.

I am most confused about how many calories I should be eating, I've seen references to 10-12 times my body weight and I've read several threads here on the topic. Where does the recommendation for 10-12 times body weight in calories come from? I read most of the Atkins book but don't remember seeing any reference like that, I'm just curious.

This seems like a great group of supportive people, I hope I get to know you all!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 14:53

Stats: 200/160/150
BF:
Progress: 80%

Hi I just wanted to welcome you to this site! Great job on your 11pds. You must feel great!
I really don't know the answer to your question but I'm sure somebody will.

Jess
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 15:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: new here

Quote:
Originally posted by Karen53
I am most confused about how many calories I should be eating, I've seen references to 10-12 times my body weight and I've read several threads here on the topic. Where does the recommendation for 10-12 times body weight in calories come from? I read most of the Atkins book but don't remember seeing any reference like that, I'm just curious.

Welcome to the Forum, Karen and congrats on those 11 lbs!

As to your question, the 10 - 12 times your current body weight a day come from human biology and physiology. This is the number that satisfies your basal metabolic functions, those things your body must do every day in order for you to live. It comprises 60-70% of your caloric need. It is the minimum your body needs to avoid 'starvation'.

Atkins doesnt count calories - he has you focus on counting carbs but as you progress in your LC WOL you learn what works for you and how to tweak your WOE. One of the great side effects (and one of the downfalls) of LC is the lack of appetite you find yourself dealing with. It is important that you eat enough food every day to keep your body from canabalizing its lean muscle mass to survive. What we want with our WOL is permanent FAT loss, which is quite different from weight loss. The last you thing you want to do is lose lean muscle. Muscle is what burns your fat and keeps your metabolism rolling along.

The next time you're out surfing the web type "BMR" into a search engine - it's facinating to read about.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 07:43

Stats: 251/239/150
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default thanks!

Thanks so much for your replies. I understand a little better now about needing to eat a certain amount. You are right, I don't have enough appetite, I'm rarely if ever hungry and although I would never have thought I would EVER say this in my entire life, I don't think I can really eat that much.

Plus, I am still at the stage where I think this is all too good to be true, after a lifetime of denying myself things like butter, cheese, eating little tiny pieces of meat,filling up on fruit and vegetables, and totally believing that fat was the enemy, this is all a little bit "out there."

In the first 3 weeks of this diet I lost 11 pounds, but for the past 2 have had no further weight loss. I am a veteran dieter so I know not to get in a tizzy, but I can't help having these little nagging thoughts that 'yes, maybe this is all too good to be true.' I certainly hope not.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-02, 08:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206.0/196.5/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Hi Karen!

Hi Karen..

Those stalls are so frustrating...make sure you are getting your water in..one of the biggest lessons I learned was on drinking the stuff...I wasnt drinking enough and I know that stalled me out terribly. I know now that I have to flush those that fat out of the cells...

Congrats on your 11 pounds, that is terrific!! Welcome to the board..keep up the good work..

Laura