Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 23:01

Plan: BFL
Stats: 110/108/100
BF:
Progress: 20%
Smile New User

Hi Everyone,
My name is Carol and I just wanted to introduce myself because I am new to this forum. I've read a lot of posts already and everyone has been so supportive and encouraging! I'm really glad that I've joined and I hope to make lots of new friends.
I recently quit carbs (almost cold turkey) about 2 weeks ago and started Atkins about 2 days ago (I am currently in Induction).
One thing that I think I should mention about myself is that I was diagnosed with anorexia about a year ago. I went to the doctor, got help and managed to gain weight back. When I did start eating again, however, I ate basically ONLY carbs (in fear of "fat" like most of society is!) My diet consisted basically of 'fat free' cereal, 'fat free' pretzels & saltines, any fruit, and most vegetables. I never touched meat, cheese, etc.
However, I was always very interested in LC because I've seen how it's worked so well for so many celebrities, so I decided to give it a whirl after one of my coworkers convinced me how it did wonders for him. So 2 weeks ago, I threw ALL of my cereal, pretzels and crackers out and restocked my kitchen with sandwich meats, all sorts of cheese, nuts, cream cheese and eggs. I know that according to Atkins, you are supposed to eat until you feel 'satisfied', but I find myself able to binge on nuts and sometimes even cheese! How bad is this? Is there a limit to my intake? I havent eaten nuts or fruits since I am on induction, and it's KILLING me! Help?
I also had a question about my metabolism. I know that since I had restricted myself from eating during my eating disorder, my metabolism basically got slaughtered...how difficult will it be for me to get it back in check?
I was also extremely fatigued when I started this diet about 2 weeks ago and still notice that I sometimes have difficulty concentrating and have been really sleepy. I've read that LC dieting can at first fog your brain and cause tiredness, is that true? How come?
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can make for meals that doesn't require too much work? I'm a college student so I don't exactly have THAT much money to spend on groceries (esp. meat!) I eat eggs (only whites) just about everyday. I love to cook, but just want to make simple things. Any help?
I would really appreciate any feedback that I can get. Once again, I'm so happy to have joined this forum..you guys seem like an awesome group and I look forward to talkin to lots of you!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 06:07
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Smile Welcome

Hello Carol,
My name is Donna. Welcome to the forum. You will find people here that are with allot of encoragement and kindness.
I was also diagnosised with Anoxeria when I was 20 years old. I almost die . I am 5'3" and went down to 89 lbs. I was lucky that my father found me half unconcious and took me to the hospital.
I hope you are seeing a doctor about this. It does affect the metabolism and it takes awhile for it to become normal.
Have you read Dr. Atkins book yet? You really need to if you haven't. This link will give you facts on induction food.
"http://www.titanic.kn-bremen.de/induction.html"
It is hard at first for me anyway to start back eating after being dianosised but please don't let this disease control you like it did me. See your doctor and talk with him/her. They can really help with this.
Well Carol welcome again and I hope we can be friends. Have to go and fix breakfast.
P.S. Have you started your journal yet? It can really help with your feeling and a place to down what you eat so people can help you on your journey to health and wellness.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 07:12
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Carol,
I must repeat Donna's advice about seeing your doctor.
I am very concerned for you when I read that you want to be 100 lbs and you are 5' 5''.
Honey, at 108 lbs, you are still a little underweight and I think that to lose any more could put your health at serious risk.
Did you know that most health authorities consider optimal Body Mass Index (BMI) to be between 20 and 25?
At 108 lbs, yours is 18. At 100 lbs, your BMI would be only 16.6.
I'm sure you can still eat a low carb diet (it is the healthiest diet there is IMHO) but please increase your carbs to a level where you no longer lose weight.
I'd hate you to mess up your life by skidding back into anorexia.
Congratulations on putting weight back on; that had to have been very difficult for you.
I'll be thinking of you, I know this is hard.
Again, please see your doctor.
All the best.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 09:22

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking Hi Carol!

Hi Carol

Welcome to the board!

I think it's a good idea to become a low carb eater and to change your thinking from number of Calories - to less sugar!

Good luck with your endeavours!

LC_Dave
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 11:48

Plan: BFL
Stats: 110/108/100
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default More fit/toned body?

Hi All,
I appreciate everyone's reply and just to let you all know, I have seen a doctor. She had put me on zoloft (anti-depressant) about 7 months ago, and said that I could stop taking it whenever I felt ready. I stopped taking it about 2 months ago, because I feel much better than I did before...
I know that I don't NEED to lose more weight, but I'd like to adopt this LC diet because it makes sense to me that carbs make you fat!
I guess what I want most is to have a lean, toned body. I guess the answer to that would be exercise. When I had my eating disorder, I ran 2 mi. everyday but ate nothing. So while I did slim down a lot, I lost a lot of muscle also. So now I wnat to be able to slim down the fat and look lean.
Ive been finding it a lot more difficult to make time for the gym lately because I'm in school all day and work most afternoons/night. How is everyone else's exercise regimen? Any suggestions as to what I can do at home?
About how many calories should I be eating a day? Also, I had a question about keeping track of the foods I eat during the day. How do I know how many 'ounces' of something that I eat? I know when I have cheese, there's no way for me to weight it or anything. If Atkins advises no more than 4oz. of cheese/day, how will I know if I've exceeded my limit?
Hope everyone else is doing well and enjoy Superbowl Sunday!

-Carol
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 16:14
Pending Member

Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Smile hello

I am glad that you are seeing your doctor. That really worried me. I quess because I went through it. Even after 25 years I am still have to watch and I have to make myself eat. I use fitday and it is free. the link is " http://www.fitday.com/"
You sign up and it keep your password. I use it everyday. I like it because it I can track my exercise. My exercise is walking and I am starting belly dancing again. I hope this help Carol. I feel so much better on the low carb diet. Have you got Dr. Atkins book yet? It will help allot. P.s. What are you taking in school? I have my BA in counseling. Well better go for now but visit us at Petite ladies thread. We would love to have you.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-03-02, 18:58

Stats: 473/332/190 Male 75.6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Talking Questions

I'm from Australia,

Whats an Ounce?

Whats Superbowl?

More importantly - Whats exerecise???

he he