Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/172/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default H2O information

I was just reading the Sunday paper and found the following "health brief" in USA Weekend.

Water: It can come from food and beverages, too

If you cringe at the idea of drinking eight glasses of water each day, you'll love this: A new study published in the "Journal of the American College of Nutrition" found that your body can get the water it needs from other beverages and food. Researchers evaluated 27 men divided into two groups. For three days, one group drank plain water while the other group had no water but did have other liquids and foods that contain water. When hydration was evaluated, both groups came out the same. The lead researcher says not to worry if you don't have access to plain water each day; other liquids and foods can supply it, too.

http://www.usaweekend.com/03_issues...iefs.html#water
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/245/180 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 24%

I despise plain water. But, it works to charm the whoosh fairy to stop by.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 17:53

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Thanks, Vicrock, for sharing that article. It is truly amazing what studies will come out and what their outcomes are based on who funds them.
I can't and won't argue anything the article says, because I am not a medical professional.

I can tell you that after having 3 kidney surgeries years ago, the dr's didn't tell me to "get my water in anything liquid; instead they told me to drink good ol' plain H2O.
As little as I know about health, I would think that if I drank my water only in sources other than water, like juice, or milk, my kidneys would have to work so much harder to filter out what they don't need (sugars, carbs, artificial sweeteners found in diet pops). But drinking just good ol' plain water really does make me feel so much better, skin looks better, I feel more awake, etc.

Just my thoughts. I know some have a hard time drinking it and there is another thread on this site devoted to that subject. But for me, give me a tall glass with ice anyday!
Best wishes Vicrock on your weightloss and your goals...keep up the great work! And please keep sharing interesting articles.
Hugs, ~Annie-Pie~
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 18:14
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 202/172/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 48%

I think it is an interesting article - and perhaps will take some of the pressure off folks who really have a hard time drinking the recommended amount of pure water (like me!).

If we look at this study - and add all the fluids we take in to the water we drink - if we make the recommended amount of pure water, adding the other fluids is pure "profit"!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 18:15

BF:

Absolutely!

~Annie~
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 20:15

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

I was never a big water drinker until Atkins came along. Now, I just can't get enough.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-01-03, 22:27

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/210/160 Male 5' 7"
BF:31%/31%/24%
Progress: 0%

When I first started low-carbing, I drank water like it was going out of style. I was always thirsty, because I was losing electrolytes as I lost weight quickly. Now, I'm not so thirsty, and drinking water was a bit of a chore. Recently, though, I discovered a way to enjoy drinking water more.

My home water is filtered by a reverse osmosis system, which leaves it tasting somewhat astringent to me. By happy accident (I was researching coconut oil) I found a liquid minerals product that's just concentrated seawater (from Utah's Great Salt lake, quality tested and all that). It's mostly magnesium chloride, with most of the sodium removed, and a smattering of trace minerals left in. Just three drops per 8 oz. glass makes the water more thirst-quenching to me. So, now, I'm back to easily getting in my 3 liters/day.

Last edited by acohn : Mon, Jun-02-03 at 12:21.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:41
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Just to clarify -

Kidneys do not filter the water we consume directly - they filter impurities out of blood.

Water, in whatever form, is filtered first and foremost by the stomach and digestive system. So it makes sense that water, in whatever form - distilled, tap, diet soda, fruit2O, Perrier, beer, sugared soda, etc - all contributes to positive hydration. Of course, the other ingredients of the beverage can have a diuretic effect, causing a loss of hydration.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 00:45

BF:

Thank you, Gotbeer, for clarilying my mistake! Told you I wasn't a medical expert!
~Annie-Pie~
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-03, 10:32
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Water drinking

I have to admit I wasn't a water drinker either but you know, I just can't imagine having a meal with anything but water... It compliments all my meals nicely. There is no flavor clash if you know what I mean.