Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-17, 12:28

Plan: Atkins '72 version'
Stats: 264/232.2/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default BG keeps going up!

I am totally confused...

Been on this woe since jan 1. A week after I started my BG was hanging around 89 to 90 and my FBG 139 to 149. Im on metformin 1000X2. After I added IF like 3 days a week my FBG came down to 99 which is great.

I had 1 black and white cookie on VD and thats it. My BG has been 106 to 153. I don't get. All I had today was a coffee 1TBS HWC,3oz pork chop with 1/3 c cauliflower mash.

Before I ate my BG was 138??? The only dairy I had was the HWC and thats it. I keep my protein no more than 3 to 4 oz per serving. Something is setting off my BG and I have know idea what it could be unless that cookie really messed with me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-17, 12:32

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

A cookie you ate days earlier shouldn't cause this.
Do you an infection/ virus? That can do it. Are you under a lot if stress? Are you less active (snowed in or something)? Is it TOM?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-17, 12:57

Plan: Bernsteinish
Stats: 314/231/199 Male 6'1
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, it's a bad idea to stress over individuals numbers. As mentioned, sickness and stress will increase it (and indeed, sickness has doubled or tripled mine a couple times) so you need to look at longer term trends.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-17, 14:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
A cookie you ate days earlier shouldn't cause this.
Do you an infection/ virus? That can do it. Are you under a lot if stress? Are you less active (snowed in or something)? Is it TOM?

I haven't been sick and that tom thing has been gone for 4 years now. I am not active in a sense like exercise. I am on my feet all day with taking care of horses and house hold chores. I may sit a few times a day and the only thing that I am stressed about is for the last 3 weeks I keep losing and gaining the same pound and BG.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-17, 14:09

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Jor
Yeah, it's a bad idea to stress over individuals numbers. As mentioned, sickness and stress will increase it (and indeed, sickness has doubled or tripled mine a couple times) so you need to look at longer term trends.

Maybe your right. I guess it will all work its self out.I haven't been sick or anything and I'm not to stressed.

Thanks for your input.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-23-17, 19:24

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

Sometimes the fasting itself stresses a higher blood glucose number for me. I wait it out and it gets better over time.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-17, 10:36

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Coffee is known to spike many folks.
This is why Atkins originally discouraged it during induction.

I'm a type I and spike in early morning (dawn phenomenon). I find coffee to make it much worse.
Strangely, very caffeinated tea (more than coffee) and even sf red bull don't spike me, so it's not the caffeine in my experience (YMMV).
You might try nixing coffee for a test for a week or two? I still drink caffeine every morning, but coffee is now weekend treat (when I don't spike as much anyway as I, less stressed- stress of rush over, getting to work, etc....doesn't make me "feel stressed" but my BG begs to differ!).

Any decrease in BG yet?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-27-17, 15:14

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I know it's not the same experience for everyone but I have stayed on very strict induction/IF - usually 1 meal a day and as I have lost weight and added exercise the bg fasting, morning, before and after meals has really come down. Seems the stored glucose in my fat cells was triggering bs spikes even though I was eating on plan early on but that has improved tremendously.