Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 04:54

Plan: Dr Clarks High Protein
Stats: 268/254/210 Male 71.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%
Cool 14 pounds lost in 14 days - A bizarre Tale

Hello fellow low carbers - before anyone shoots me down in flames - read my story - its absolutely true and a little strange.

My name is Adam Ososki, I am 34 years old and live in Reading, Berkshire, UK.

I smoked around 30- 40 cigarettes per day since the age of 24 and weighed around 16.5 stone (229 pounds) that whole time. I fluctuated up and down by 8 to 10 pounds but essentially weighed about the same. After the age of 30 it was more like 17 stone (238), but I never really worried about it, in fact was totally against diets on principle and felt life was there to be enjoyed not restricted.

On the 1st of February this year (a Sunday) I woke up and decided to go swimming at my local pool (something I had not done in years) - I didn't smoke before the swim and after I felt wonderful, went straight to the supermarket and bought nicotine gum and haven't smoked since. (only used the gum for two weeks by the way - fantastic stuff)

I continued swimming nearly every day - replacing my cravings with activity - and swam about 1000 metres a day (2/3rds of a mile). Within a month I had put on 14 pounds, and by month 3 was up at 19 stone 4 (270). I spoke to my doctor and my chiropractor who both told me that stopping smoking both increases your appetite and slows your metabolism - and that it would sort itself out in its own time, they also said that as I was doing so much exercise, the muscle weighs twice as much as fat and therefore I would weigh more. (I kept telling myself "better fat and not smoking for now!")

However as most of my clothes started not to fit - I started to panic a little.
My best friend has successfully lost about 4 stone (56) on Dr Clarks High Protein Diet - and he is always very evangelical about it - so I borrowed the books to read.

So: Thursday the 22nd of July this year - I made myself a test meal of steak and cheese etc just to see how I would feel doing this. About an hour later my long term (3 year) girlfriend dumped me. (she wants babies - I don't) so this is what I call stage one Stress. I weighed 19 stone 2 (268) at this point.

Friday I realise that my part time job won't cover the whole rent and bills on the house we live in so I have to either move out or get in two lodgers to share the bill. This is stage two stress. I spend most of Friday eating ice cream and snack (comfort foods) Big chinese take away etc for dinner.

Saturday I'm a zombie - walikng round like an idiot trying to decide what happens next.

Sunday I get a call to say my Dad has had a heart attack (not the first) and I drop everything and get to the hospital (which is some way away). You've probably guessed this is stage 3 stress! (He's ok at the moment by the way)

I take Monday off work as I am still spinning like a top with a friction free spindle on an ice rink.

I decide to really go for the Dr Clarks thing from the next day, and decide I will have Pizza to celebrate my last night of carbs. I have invited good friends round to cheer me up and chat about how pants life is etc. I call them around 7pm to confirm they are coming and to offer to pre-order the Pizza and they tell me they have cooked lasagne for me. (Very sweet but mini stress stage 4 - I was so looking forward to that last Pizza!)

So Tuesday 27th I start the diet in earnest - stick completely to everything it says about carbs - and have been since then.

Today - 16 days after the first stage stress and 11 days since officially starting the diet I am 18 stone 2 (254)!!!!!

Please don't try this at home! The stress combination diet was totally random in it's occurance and the factors should definately not be attempted to be contrived artificually. ( I think thats called Patricide anyway and may incurr jail time). All joking aside, ( sorry British sense of Humour), I feel fantastic and healthy (am taking berrocha vitamins daily and those funny stomach bug capsules), eating like a horse - just keeping to 40 carbs a day - and the big overhang above my belt is starting to dissappear.

I hope to be able to add a little to the group with my experiences - and wanted to thank everyone who contributes as have been reading away in the background for the last few weeks.

Best Wishes

Adam
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 07:46
Bad Girl Queen

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 388/388/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking

Welcome to the forum!!!!
You are in the perfect place for support and motivation!

Best of luck!

Hugs~
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 08:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Adam! Welcome and best wishes. I think your story is more common than you think - a lot of people decide to start losing weight following a proverbial straw breaking the camel's back. I'd say that was the case for me. In my opinion, eating well is one of the best things you can do for a stressed body.

Congrats on your success so far... keep swimming.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-07-04, 18:19
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello and welcome!