Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 03:00

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default British National Health Service approves Low Carb Program

Quote:
From Diabetes Times

NHS green light for Low Carb Program

An award-winning low carb programme has been approved for use by the NHS (National Health Service) by a leading accreditation body.

Diabetes.co.uk’s Low Carb Program can now be prescribed by healthcare teams after the Quality Institute for Self Management Education and Training (QISMET) organisation gave it the go ahead.

QISMET is an independent not-for-profit body that supports self-management providers and commissioners to achieve the highest possible quality service for people living with long-term health conditions.

More than 326,000 people have signed up to the Low Carb Program which is a 10-week, evidence-based structured behvioural change programme supporting patients with type 2 diabetes and prediabetes to place their condition into remission. A low-carbohydrate approach to blood glucose control can help people lose weight, improve their health and wellbeing, and their medication dependency.

Last year it was estimated the programme had saved the NHS £6.9 million in one year through reducing type 2 diabetes medications.

Charlotte Summers, Chief Operating Officer of Diabetes.co.uk, said: “The Low Carb Program has been empowering patients to place their type 2 diabetes into remission for over 2 years. Type 2 diabetes does not have to be a chronic or progressive disease. We are proud to receive QISMET certification which enables NHS healthcare providers to offer the program to their patients.”

The programme was developed based on feedback submitted from 20,000 people who all believe changing the approach to type 2 diabetes is vital.
The Low Carb Program has been pivotal in making the case for a change in approach to dietary advice. In just over two years, the Low Carb Program has demonstrated a cost saving of £835 per person, per year, for each person that completes the programme through diabetes medication deprescription.

Results show that people who complete the programme reduce HbA1c by 1.2 per cent (13mmol/mol), lose seven per cent of their body weight on average and one in four people ‘reserved’ or put their type 2 diabetes into remission.

For more information, click here: https://www.lowcarbprogram.com/

http://diabetestimes.co.uk/nhs-gree...carb-programme/

Last edited by Demi : Tue, Jun-12-18 at 03:06.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 03:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

WOW!! Big news, best ever.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 04:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/177/150 Female 66inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Interesting program, but it isn't what most low carbers would consider true low carb. Guidelines are set to 125 to 150 g of carbs per day. The program okays going lower, though.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 09:33

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbs2
Interesting program, but it isn't what most low carbers would consider true low carb. Guidelines are set to 125 to 150 g of carbs per day. The program okays going lower, though.

At least the UK's program has an upper limit - still way too high, but better than saying eat whatever you want, and take more insulin to cover it, like they generally do in the US. With the OK to try even lower carbs, it's possible that seeing even better outcomes with even lower carbs will eventually result in the guidelines being lowered little by little.

It makes sense that improved guideline changes are going to happen first in the UK where health care is funded by the gov't and therefore there's a vested interest in finding viable ways to reduce costs.. Unlike the US, where health care is such big business, and truly cutting costs by reducing the need for ever increasing medical care ends up decreasing business.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-18, 12:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Definitely in the right direction: lower carb recognized and approved for doctors to support.

Needs to be more than 10 weeks----drug rehab is what...? A year?
Needs to be a life time of support..unless they find this forum for support.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 07:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
The programme was developed based on feedback submitted from 20,000 people who all believe changing the approach to type 2 diabetes is vital.
The Low Carb Program has been pivotal in making the case for a change in approach to dietary advice. In just over two years, the Low Carb Program has demonstrated a cost saving of £835 per person, per year, for each person that completes the programme through diabetes medication deprescription.

This is great news and proves that feedback from people who have to live with health issues matters. People are listening, and first-hand experience trumps all eventually.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 12:23

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

That news is quite a propos for me. I recently wrote about diabetes.co.uk in my journal, but then I thought I was mistaken about the nature of that group. Anyways, there's a bunch of forums over there, the low-carb one was started back in 2008. It's not as comprehensive as this forum here, what with all the subs about a bunch of related subjects like recipes, success stories, exercise, focus groups, and yada and yada you-name-it.

But, there's one thing they have that we don't (and probably that no other forums have either), variety in the diet types. A sort of neutrality (I kinda advocate this) with regards to nutritional approach to the same problem, specifically diabetes type 2 of course. I mean, on this forum, it's all low-carb and low-carb-ish. On theirs, it's got low-cal, veggie, low-carb, and a few more.

About that QISMET (really? how cute) certification. Basically, it's a certification for providers of self-management, i.e. I teach you how to do it yourself, and you do it. For some reason I get flashes of Tony Robbins. Anyways, this forum, it's got all of that, though maybe not as an official-like expert-like kinda thing. We do have a few with genuine expertise in that, just from their sheer mountain of experience, what with their focus mostly on helping others do it and get it right, and their stratospheric post count. You know who you are, you cheeky chicks.

My point is, give us that QISMET thing already. Not for me, I'm just some guy with an axe to grind. But for this forum and its members, and to bring in more members to help them do it and get it right too. Isn't it what the forum founders wanted to do with this after all?

About their official low-carb programme. Methinks the 125-150g/carbs/day is probably set to fit the 130g/glucose/day the brain is said to consume. Incidentally, it's also very close to the ketogenic threshold, so no worries about ketoacidosis, if that's still a thing. It's a pay-for program, I don't particularly like that kinda thing, but maybe it makes it appear more official that way. Also, it's easier to manage a pay-for program when it's prescribed by docs, cuz it would also be well defined. Then, with the NHS giving the green light as a valid treatment option, docs will be more accepting of it, patients too, all good for all involved. But then, for the rest of us who still go with unofficial options like Atkins and Wheat Belly and all that, the door is pulled wide open for others to take a peek at what we do independently, also all good for all involved.

You know the thing where we imagined some kind of integration of low-carb into official guidelines? Well, this is where it all began. The tipping point. Remember this day.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 17:17
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
It makes sense that improved guideline changes are going to happen first in the UK where health care is funded by the gov't and therefore there's a vested interest in finding viable ways to reduce costs.. Unlike the US, where health care is such big business, and truly cutting costs by reducing the need for ever increasing medical care ends up decreasing business.
Spot on. Sadly, in the colonies keeping us sick and selling us pills is a fat cash cow :-(
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 18:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/177/150 Female 66inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

In reading further into the program, it seems like it was put together by Dr. Jason Fung. He normally wouldnt advocate for such high carbs, but maybe he had to do so to get govt approval.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-18, 23:47

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Definitely a step in the right direction. With any luck, it will be enough to gain further momentum which in turn can lead to variations where carbs are reduced even further.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-18, 05:59

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

This is outstanding. From what I've read, The UK has been ahead of the game.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 05:30

BF:

Low Carb Program victorious at UK Content Awards 2018

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...8-95129494.html
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 08:38

BF:

Low Carb Program awarded CE Mark

https://diabetestimes.co.uk/low-car...warded-ce-mark/

Quote:
The award-winning Low Carb Program developed by Diabetes.co.uk is now registered with the Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) after receiving a CE Mark.
The CE Mark approval means that the Low Carb Program officially conforms to European Union laws as a registered medical device, meeting the health and safety regulations outlined by the MHRA.
Chief Operating Officer of Diabetes.co.uk Charlotte Summers said: “We are delighted to receive CE Mark approval. For over two years the Low Carb Program has been showing that type 2 diabetes does not have been be a chronic or progression disease; this approval provides additional quality assurance needed to scale out the Low Carb Program and support even more people with type 2 diabetes.”
More than 340,000 people have registered for the platform, which is redefining type 2 diabetes, prediabetes, obesity and metabolic health.
People who have completed it achieve an average HbA1c reduction of 13 mmol/mol (1.2 per cent), and also lose seven per cent of their body weight. Also, it has shown to save the NHS £835 per person, per year in prescription costs.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 13:19

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
More than 340,000 people have registered for the platform,

Wow! I just looked it up and according to Diabetes.co.uk there are currently 3.5 million diagnosed diabetics in the UK. That means that approximately 1 in 10 people in the UK who know they have diabetes have ALREADY registered for the low-carb program. That is huge! And, as that 10% starts seeing the results, low-carb is ought to spread among UK T2 diabetics like wild fire.

Will be very very hard for doctors in other countries - even the U.S. - to ignore it if the UK solves its diabetes epidemic via a simple dietary change. And, even if big pharma has a vested interest in people staying sick and on medications, I do think most doctors do want to see their patients get healthier. And insurance companies for sure don't want to pay for expensive medications for their insureds if they can avoid it! So, I can imagine insurance companies starting to refuse to pay for insulin for T2 diabetics who have NOT, or will not, give low-carb a reasonable try.

Yes, we are witnessing the "tipping point."
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-18, 23:36

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

This is fantastic! Great news.