Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 12:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238.31971/239/209 Male 167 cm
BF:
Progress:
Question Workout, weight lifting and protein consumption!

Hi everybody

I would like inquire about protein consumption while i'm on induction phase (Atkins) I read a lot about that i have to make it 70/25/5 but the problem that i need to feed my muscles with protein every 2-3 hours through all the day (6 meals)

when I'm try to adjust my plan to Atkins i figure out that
my ratio is 44/54/2
Total calorie is 1731 kcal
Fat: 69g
Protien: 263.7g
NC: 9g-10g

So, Do I eat too much protein? and How could I calculate the total protein amount that i need for each meal?

meal 1: (after gym)
6 egg white

meal 2:
6 oz chicken breast
1 tbsp mayo
1 cup cooked broccoli

Meal 3:
5 oz chicken breast
1 tbsp mayo
1 cup cooked mushroom

Meal 4:
5 oz chicken breast
1 tbsp mayo
1 cup cooked broccoli

Or
5.4 Light Tuna
1 tbsp mayo
1 cup cooked broccoli

Meal 5:
4 oz White fish
1 tbsp mayo
1/2 cup lettuce

Meal 6:
3 egg white
1 whole egg
1/2 cup lettuce

Tall: 5'5
Wight: 239lbs
Male
BF 38.7%

My goal to reduce BF while maintain or gain muscles at least maintain them!

My NC grams is 20g but i get usually around 10-11 everyday

And one more thing, my cardio is 45 mins on empty stomach. I slightly running to keep my heart rate in the fat burning zone
after that I lifting for another 45 mins

Usually, I lose about 600 - 800 kcal

but today because it's my second day on Atkins i know my energy level going down so, I burn 500 kcal.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 14:37

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Sosta, welcome!

How are you calculating protein consumed? Note that each ounce of meat or fish contains about 7-9 grams of protein. Eggs, depending on size contain about 6 grams.

Now for the fun part, there are as many ways to calculate optimum protein as there are variations in people's metabolism, meaning, there are a boatload of ways. I have always used 1.5-2.0 grams protein/Kg of lean body weight. This is consistent with what Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek recommend. I've noticed I can eat more protein and still be effective at burning fat, and that is my metabolic situation. Here's a link to a very detailed post by Marty Kendall that addresses the "how much protein" question with tons of information and a summary of the different approaches (it's probably the most informative summary around and provides multiple methods, one of which will be correct for you):

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...vs-low-protein/

Good luck on your journey!!!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 15:51

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Sosta, welcome!

How are you calculating protein consumed? Note that each ounce of meat or fish contains about 7-9 grams of protein. Eggs, depending on size contain about 6 grams.

Now for the fun part, there are as many ways to calculate optimum protein as there are variations in people's metabolism, meaning, there are a boatload of ways. I have always used 1.5-2.0 grams protein/Kg of lean body weight. This is consistent with what Steve Phinney and Jeff Volek recommend. I've noticed I can eat more protein and still be effective at burning fat, and that is my metabolic situation. Here's a link to a very detailed post by Marty Kendall that addresses the "how much protein" question with tons of information and a summary of the different approaches (it's probably the most informative summary around and provides multiple methods, one of which will be correct for you):

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...vs-low-protein/

Good luck on your journey!!!

Thank you so much for the detailed article! That is EXACTLY what I need to read !!

For calculating protein consumed, I use "KetoDiet" App and enter the food data by myself from USDA website for example cooked chicken, meat, veggies and what another else

Last edited by Sosta : Mon, Apr-16-18 at 15:58.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 06:14

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Your program looks a lot like what some bodybuilders do for a contest prep. Those guys are doing something that's very catabolic, trying to get down to low single digit body fat. So very high protein might make sense in that context.

Calories are protein-sparing, this seems to be as true for calories released from body fat as from the diet.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi40.htm

You might have read this Berardi article already, but he includes an interesting bit on lean mass loss while cutting;

Quote:
I hope it's clear from this table that eating a diet too few in calories causes a substantial LBM (lean body mass) loss, while eating a higher calorie (but still hypocaloric diet) preserves more lean mass.

In addition, it's especially interesting to note that the fatter subjects on both the higher calorie and the lower calorie diets have a remarkable shift in the muscle loss to fat loss ratio toward more fat loss and less muscle loss. This shift is especially striking in comparison to what happens when their leaner counterparts diet.

I don't see any problem necessarily in the approach you're taking, you may respond to it very well--it's just that from your starting point, I think probably you don't need to stress protein quite so much from a purely muscle gain/maintenance perspective. There are studies showing gain of lean mass while losing weight, with protein intake more like what Rob was talking about or lower.

Sometimes people fight over whether a low carb diet should be high in protein or high in fat. I think it should be one or the other, or somewhere in-between. Whatever the individual responds best to.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 10:39

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Your program looks a lot like what some bodybuilders do for a contest prep. Those guys are doing something that's very catabolic, trying to get down to low single digit body fat. So very high protein might make sense in that context.

Calories are protein-sparing, this seems to be as true for calories released from body fat as from the diet.

https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi40.htm

You might have read this Berardi article already, but he includes an interesting bit on lean mass loss while cutting;

I don't see any problem necessarily in the approach you're taking, you may respond to it very well--it's just that from your starting point, I think probably you don't need to stress protein quite so much from a purely muscle gain/maintenance perspective. There are studies showing gain of lean mass while losing weight, with protein intake more like what Rob was talking about or lower.

Sometimes people fight over whether a low carb diet should be high in protein or high in fat. I think it should be one or the other, or somewhere in-between. Whatever the individual responds best to.

Thank you teaser!
I'm still working on protein amount and my meal plan adjustment

by doing Atkins on third day, my appetite is going down which makes me reducing the protein amount for example i eat 2 whole eggs today only (after walking) instead 6 eggs white and feel full!!

However, I 'm still loosing pounds after that huge protein amount (2 days ago) so i'm very happy with that!

The only thing that i'm angry with is my energy. almost gone! I feel like a dead zombie! hopefully it doesn't take long time! I walked for 45 mins at low rate and could not do my lifting training!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 10:45

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The energy thing should turn around in a bit, a lot of the time it comes back with dividends.

Something I find any time I'm sort of low energy is that it's better to do the weight training first--that gets the adrenaline going or something, if I work out and then go for a walk I'll have more energy for both than if I walk and then do the workout.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-17-18, 11:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
The energy thing should turn around in a bit, a lot of the time it comes back with dividends.

Something I find any time I'm sort of low energy is that it's better to do the weight training first--that gets the adrenaline going or something, if I work out and then go for a walk I'll have more energy for both than if I walk and then do the workout.

I think that's key for me as well. Doing a workout this morning after little sleep the night before helped tremendously. I found that maintaining regular workouts helped in adapting to low carb. It teaches the body to burn fat efficiently as an energy substitute for glucose. As teaser says, this will turn around for you once you become adapted. You'll start to feel much more energetic.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-28-18, 13:01

BF:
Progress:

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your replies!

Now, i'm doing wonderful!

I bought the Ketone strips although it's not accurate but it gives me amazing result. Most of the time, i'm between Moderate 4.0 and Large 8.0
I'm losing slowly now (4 lbs) but all from fat. my fat percentage it's going down since last post from 38.8% to 37.8% and my Muscles going up from 32% to 33%

My food consumption is changed!

- For now, I eat 3 boiled whole eggs after workout
- and about 5-7 oz breast chicken with 1 tbsp mayo
- Then, the last meal is beef burger or salmon with 1 tbsp mayo
- 15-35ml Heavy cream with my coffee
- Sometimes I have 2-3 oz Mozzarella cheese as snack or 2 boiled whole eggs

Total Kcal: about 1000 - 1500
Total fat: 72g - 110g
Total Protien: 88 - 130g
Total NC: 1-5g

I feel satisfied all the time!
There No Craving!

My energy level also changed!
I can do my workout now the cardio 45 mins and lifting but with lightly weight than before! and that's fine as long as i'm losing fat and gain Muscles!

For next week, I will add some vegetables like broccoli, lettuce, asparagus, mushroom, and spinach!

Last edited by Sosta : Sat, Apr-28-18 at 13:12.