Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-14-18, 23:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254.8/250.6/167 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Why is it so hard?

Why is it so hard to give up carbs? Why is it so comforting? Why is it so easy to overeat? Why do I think so much about food? Why is it so easy for others?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 04:52
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Good Questions! Here's my 2 cents worth = totally JMO:

1) Why is it so hard to give up carbs?
Because they are highly addictive and engineered to be that way. So we buy more, eat more, buy more etc!

2) Why is it so comforting?
Because we associate a lot of our foods to traditions, special events in our lives. When we feel "off" we want to recapture those moments in our lives when we were happy.

I know there are others on here who can give you the actual scientific reason...

3) Why is it so easy to overeat?
See answers to 1 & 2 above, esp 1. For me, carbs truly make me hungry... The more carbs I eat, the more I want to eat...

4) Why do I think so much about food?
Because we have to eat. I found starting with Induction level carbs and staying 100% on plan really did help with thinking overmuch about food.

I came up with lots of strategies. One that really works for me is to know well in advance what I am going to eat. I also find that the more tired, stressed, or hungry I am, the worst eating choices I made...

5) Why is it so easy for others?
Is "it" means staying on plan? If that's what you mean it ain't been easy for me but I know what my end game is... to be as healthy as possible as I go kicking and screaming into my 6th decade and beyond.

Truly if "it" were easy, we wouldn't be facing the obesity problem we have today, not only here in the US but world-wide...

Like I said, these are my opinions.

Wishing you much success on your journey!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 05:00

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, need2lc, Perhaps some of the posts in answer to "why do we backslide" will be of help to you.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=479875

For me, to stay on my food plan means I have to have a plan I can live with, day in and day out, and keep going.

It is vital, key, crucial to turn my thinking to doing things which help me, rather than putting my attention on what I don't have, can't have, what is difficult, etc.

One of the things I really appreciate about the online LC support forum, is that the support is for finding a way to live that is nourishing, and to keep on living in ways that are ever more nourishing and sustaining.

So, when those rotten thoughts pop in, or creep in, and they try to get me to be stuck in what isn't, I can come to the forum, and turn my attentiveness to what helps.

I also read lots about health and nutrition. Others like to find LC recipes, or enjoy talking with LCers about anything, just to be in the LC community helps.

We can't leave an empty space where the sabotage-thoughts can come in and take over. Success means filling up the spaces in our hearts and minds with what helps.

That's what comes to mind this morning. Others will post other facets.

I am sending you good thoughts and smiling at you.

I wish you happy successes!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 06:00

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Why do you think it is so easy for everyone else?. If that were true there would be no need for this forum, no need for support

I agree 100% with SilverEm who wrote

Quote:
It is vital, key, crucial to turn my thinking to doing things which help me, rather than putting my attention on what I don't have, can't have, what is difficult, etc.

Beyond acquiring the knowledge of what, where and when to eat, I have also found that I needed determination, discipline and gratitude. I prioritize my health and feel grateful everyday that I have found a way to optimize it. I do not feel deprived I feel fortunate. Changing how I think has been key for me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 07:21

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Why do you think it is so easy for everyone else?. If that were true there would be no need for this forum, no need for support

I agree 100% with SilverEm who wrote

Beyond acquiring the knowledge of what, where and when to eat, I have also found that I needed determination, discipline and gratitude. I prioritize my health and feel grateful everyday that I have found a way to optimize it. I do not feel deprived I feel fortunate. Changing how I think has been key for me.

I have a quote on my desktop: "One reason people resist change is because they focus on what they have to give up instead of what they have to gain." (Rick Godwin)

One thing I have to keep reminding myself of is how good my lchf food tastes compared to the junk food or weird diet food of the past.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 06:19

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Morning need tlc, welcome to the forum, and I have to say, I agree with all of Just Jo's answers and also what Jean said....trust me, this is NOT easy, we have all been there, we are here for each other, EVERY step of the way, this is a safe place to vent, celebrate, whine , rejoice....whatever. Remember, one day at a time, celebrate small victories, we did not get fat overnight and unfortunately we don't get thin overnight either, believe me if there was a way, I already tried it, and it didn't work...so relax, hang with us, you will get you there. Don't stress over those "why's", they are facts that you can not change, but YOU can change you and how you deal with those facts...have a positive day, drop by my Journal sometime, I love company...ttys
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 06:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

We all have challenges and we all have opportunities. Oftentimes we can transform those challenges into opportunities. It isn’t necessarily easy but definitely worth doing. Perhaps if I had not become sick and fat I might not have learned how to become truly healthy.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 13:39

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great advice in every one of answers shared already.
Four years ago when you posted here a few times, you were borderline diabetic then and now you are. I can’t think of one thing more important than Reversing your Diabetes and learning new strategies to make that happen. Good forum with new, simple programs. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45

"You have to want better health more than bread" or whatever high carb food is your addiction. Stick to the basics, no fake LC breads, no exceptions, follow the rules of a VLC plan ...for many of us abstaining completely from a trigger food is easier than trying to have some moderate portion.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 14:57

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
for many of us abstaining completely from a trigger food is easier than trying to have some moderate portion.

Another favorite quote, this one from Robert Heinlein: “Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 20:09

Plan: Keto/Carnivore/Fasting
Stats: 190/143/144 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 102%

It’s hard for everyone. Carbs are very addictive. When we eat bad carbs it just leads to eating more and more.

Staying on plan helps to curb the hunger.

I haven’t heard anyone say it’s easy. Quite the opposite.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-18, 20:49
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
SilverEm said:
We can't leave an empty space where the sabotage-thoughts can come in and take over. Success means filling up the spaces in our hearts and minds with what helps.
We don't all eat from body hunger. As a matter of fact, being in ketosis leads to rarely experiencing hunger. If we are eating to fill that void where love used to live, well, food won't fill it.

Just because I know that's true, doesn't mean I don't give in. I don't pretend. Not here on this forum. I'm always honest about my failings. Maybe I don't always snitch on myself, but when I do, I tell the truth.

Even maintenance is a challenge. But the costs of eating carbs are so very high, healthwise. Not just for T2D, but also for Alzheimer's Disease. It's too late for me to do this for vanity. I do this for my very life.

Quote:
If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
-Wayne Dyer
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 08:24

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

Thank you to the OP for asking this question. I was just thinking the same thing. I am finding it much harder this time than the first time, despite not really believing that it should be harder at the second or third attempt. I didn't gain everything back - only about 1/4 - 1/3 of it - so it's not too late, but I am really struggling to maintain let alone lose.
I do really believe that we gain so much more in terms of health benefits etc. than we lose in terms of comfort foods which have a big sting in the tail. But that little devil on the shoulder keeps whispering in my ear.
So all the good advice you received here is also just what I need to get back in the groove!
I hope you can pick it up and run with it and that I can too! :-)
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 09:05

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Why is it so comforting?

Serotonin. An lc diet is more tyrosine/dopamine boosting.

Quote:
It’s not a coincidence that people binge on sweet or carbohydrate-rich “comfort foods” when they’re feeling blue.

It’s a quick way to raise serotonin.https://bebrainfit.com/serotonin-deficiency/

Quote:
Symptoms of low serotonin include carbohydrate cravings, binge eating, insomnia, anxiety, negativity, digestive disorders, low self-esteem, low libido, and hypervigilance. (13)

Men and women manifest low serotonin level symptoms somewhat differently.

Women are much more likely to experience mood disorders and carb cravings, while men are more likely to be impulsive, have ADHD, and drink alcohol in excess.

How to Increase Serotonin
Tryptophan is the amino acid precursor, or building block, of serotonin.

It’s found mainly in protein-rich foods like meat, eggs, fish, and dairy.

So, theoretically, eating tryptophan-rich foods should raise serotonin levels, but the relationship between serotonin, tryptophan and food is not that straightforward.

Unexpectedly, both tryptophan and serotonin levels drop after eating a meal containing protein.

It turns out that protein blocks the synthesis of tryptophan into serotonin. (14)

Eating carbohydrates alone — with no protein — at some of your meals or snacks allows tryptophan to enter your brain and boost serotonin levels there....

Daily exercise, sufficient sleep, and exposure to sunshine will increase serotonin levels too.https://bebrainfit.com/neurotransmitters/

#14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 09:34

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Do you mean why is it so hard not to overeat carbs specifically, or just overeating in general?

Comfort food... is your low carb menu interesting enough to compete with off-plan foods for your attention? I find making low carb food too interesting can have me eating more, which isn't always what I want. But then if I'm off plan for a holiday, these foods can help get me back on plan, or intentionally overdoing heavy cream, pork rinds, liverwurst etc. can keep me from going off plan in the first place. It sort of depends on the situation, if peanuts keep me from eating pie, that's good, but when those temptations aren't around, the peanuts make my diet a little worse. Sometimes you might just need a little comfort or holiday food, and if it's more in the order of a slight diversion instead of something that will throw you off-track for a week or two, that may be the way to go.

Last edited by teaser : Mon, Apr-16-18 at 10:25.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-18, 10:05

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

It is also helpful to find new comfort foods, like butter and full fat mayo and salad dressings on LC vegs and crispy roast chicken skin.