Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#916   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 19:27
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Janet, thank you for posting this link. I had some reservations about fasting as Dr FUng himself proclaimed he only cares about weight loss. Stating that an obese body has plenty of nutirents. Opposite to this, Dr Atkin's view that the obese are low on stored nutrients, plenty of stored fat energy yes, but low on vitamins and minerals due to the deficient SAD diet, Dr Atkins recommends taking a daily vitamin. My concern is the one dimensional issue of weight loss expressed by Dr Fung. And not a broader concern for health. This leaves me with the impression Dr fung is tunneled vision and maybe doesnt see other issues. ( DOnt get me wrong--Dr FUng is VERY inspiring,)

Dr Phinneys lecture helped me find middle ground. Im happy to try eating only one meal a day in hopes of eating enough good vegies and fruit and clean meats then 23 hours of fasting.

Fasting longer than 23 hours is probably not for me....cooking and eating is a joy.

I'm a big fan of Dr. Atkins, but he was a bit neurotic about the supplements.
Sponsored Links
  #917   ^
Old Thu, Jun-07-18, 20:22

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Billy, respectfully, I have used a number of targetted supplements and changed the quality of my life. Regarding Dr Atkins specifically, A number of supplements Atkin suggested in DANDR I have seen other sources recommend as well for the same problem.

Dr Daniel AMen who wrote HEALING ADD, and many other books, also reaches for supplements first. NOT pharmasutical drugs first. He has been spot on for me, and my son.

Docs dismiss my comments during appointments, dismissing this, so I understand many do not see the value in targetted supplements.
  #918   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 03:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Teaser, I've been monitoring both blood and urine ketones, same time daily. They are in sync, showing basically the same levels. I wonder if the meter and the expensive strips are worth it, but everybody has to choose. Just wanted to share my n=1.

I've also been logging my macros and trying to eat more food. I realize I have to be patient because I've been eating so little for such a long time.

Good luck with your own experiment.

Thanks.

On my current almost zero carb plan (at least no plants except coffee and a little spice) the urine strips have been deep purple every time and every day that I've checked. This with slightly higher protein--84 grams as an upper limit where it was 70 before. So no concern about whether I'm in ketosis, just no idea how far.

Targeting deeper ketosis, and eating only meat and heavy cream/butter, I'm a little more concerned about supplements, when I'm getting my spinach etc. I mostly just make sure to get in my half-salt and try to remember my vitamin d. I'm not out to prove that a ketogenic diet is complete nutrition in and of itself, I might think it is, but a multivitamin, a bit of magnesium etc. is pretty cheap insurance. Like any other insurance, mostly you hope you don't need it.
  #919   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 04:08

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Dr Gerber has posted Dr Phinney's talk AGAINST extended fasting given at Breckenridge, with his Slides, if anyone missed it last March.

https://denversdietdoctor.com/dr-st...wo-edged-sword/

There is also a link to ALL the Breckenridge talks. Dr Bikman's is very good about protein...which with all the back and forth about lean muscle loss on extended fasting, brings me back to some version of a PSMF.

Janet, thank you very much for this link to Dr. Phinney's talk. The lowered metabolic rate, the mineral losses, dangers in re-feeding, all quite excellent food for thought.
  #920   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 06:16

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

It is particularly interesting that adipose tissue doesn't seem to affect these things very much. That is a little counterintuitive.

I wonder what the data is like for the sort of programme they run in some clinics where you eat 250 cals a day in the form of soup or something like that. Those sort of programmes normally last a week at most. I have an acquaintance who does that once or twice a year in beautiful place. He says it does him a lot of good mentally as well as physically. Not financially though. LOL.

I am not advocating any such thing, I'm just curious. I did a water fast on my own for a few days once in my twenties. I don't remember it being very hard and I felt fine but of course it may have had an impact on my metabolism. Who knows? Anyway I wouldn't try it now.
  #921   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 06:19

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EY3...eature=youtu.be

Good Megan Ramos talk at low carb down under.
I enjoyed that talk. I'd like to take my wife to Canada and be treated by Dr. Fung for her type 2 diabetes. Here's an interesting slide on being high risk for refeeding problems:

https://i.imgur.com/ga9Mrxy.png?1
  #922   ^
Old Fri, Jun-08-18, 07:24

BF:

Great idea!!
  #923   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 07:56

BF:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...80621172437.htm

I thought this was a reasonable place to post this, given it's about ectopic fat storage similar to fatty liver etc., although flies don't actually have livers. Also a connection to possible benefits of vinegar, with the effects of acetate being looked at.

Quote:
Our intestinal microbiome influences metabolism -- through the immune system
Study teases out how 'good bacteria' keep us metabolically fit

Quote:
Research tells us that the commensal or "good" bacteria that inhabit our intestines help to regulate our metabolism. A new study in fruit flies, published June 21 in Cell Metabolism, shows one surprising way they do this.

The study, led by Paula Watnick, MD, PhD, of the Division of Infectious Diseases at Boston Children's Hospital, reveals that innate immune pathways, best known as our first line of defense against bacterial infection, have a side job that's equally important.

In the intestine, digestive cells use an innate immune pathway to respond to harmful bacteria. But other intestinal cells, enteroendocrine cells, use the same pathway, known as IMD, to respond to "good" bacteria -- by fine-tuning body metabolism to diet and intestinal conditions.

"Some innate immune pathways aren't just for innate immunity," says Watnick. "Innate immune pathways are also listening to the 'good' bacteria -- and responding metabolically."

Metabolic syndrome, fatty liver in flies

Watnick and her colleagues knew from their previous research that bacteria living in flies' intestines make a short-chain fatty acid, acetate, that is essential for the flies' own lipid metabolism and insulin signaling. Flies with no bacteria in their intestines (and hence, no acetate) accumulated fat droplets in their digestive cells. The lab of Norbert Perrimon, PhD, at Harvard Medical School had previously found similar fat droplets in flies whose enteroendocrine cells lacked tachykinin, an insulin-like protein important in growth, lipid metabolism and insulin signaling.

"When there's a problem processing glucose or lipids, fats get stuck in these droplets in cells that are not designed for fat storage," she says.

The new study again used fruit flies, which are easy to breed and manipulate genetically, and have cell types in their intestines much like humans'. When Watnick and colleagues examined flies with mutations in the IMD innate immune pathway, they again saw fat droplets in their intestines.

Watnick believes these fat droplets, whether caused by loss of intestinal bacteria, loss of tachykinin or loss of the innate immune pathway, are the equivalent of fatty liver. Their accumulation is a sign that the body cannot properly metabolize carbohydrates and fats. In essence, Watnick thinks these flies have metabolic syndrome, commonly associated with obesity and type 1 diabetes.

Defining the immune system's role in metabolism

How are intestinal bacteria, the innate immune system and metabolism related? Through a series of experiments, the team began to tease out exactly how bacteria exert their metabolic influence. They showed that:

The innate immune pathway spurs enteroendocrine cells to produce tachykinin.
In the absence of either bacteria or their breakdown product, acetate, no tachykinin is made.
When germ-free flies are given acetate, the innate immune pathway is reactivated and their metabolism normalizes.
A specific innate immune receptor on enteroendocrine cells, PGRP-LC, is required to receive the acetate signal.
"We know bacteria control our metabolism, but no one realized that bacteria were interacting with innate immune signaling pathways in enteroendocrine cells," says Watnick. "Maybe these pathways are really a system that allows cells to recognize bacteria for different reasons."

A two-pronged interaction

The study also showed that activation of the innate immune pathway in enteroendocrine cells is essential for normal fly growth and development. When Watnick and colleagues inactivated the pathway, they got growth-stunted flies. Feeding the flies acetate or directly reactivating the innate immune pathway got them growing again.

Though Watnick would now like to confirm these findings in a mammalian model, the study further sketches out what appears to be a two-pronged interaction between our microbiome and our metabolism. Good bacteria ferment nutrients in our diet and release short-chain fatty acids like acetate, which help us optimize our use and storage of nutrients. Pathogenic "bad" bacteria do the opposite: They consume fatty acids, impeding healthful metabolism. An imbalance in our intestinal microbiome has been linked to obesity and sometimes contributes to malnutrition. (More in this comprehensive review article authored by Watnick with lab members Adam Wong and Audrey Vanhove).

And because acetate is produced through fermentation, Watnick and colleagues speculate that eating more fermentable carbohydrates may boost acetate levels and promote good metabolism. Such foods may help counteract imbalances in our gut bacteria, such as those caused by protracted antibiotic use, they suggest.

The upper limit of calories from fiber I've seen claimed for humans is ten percent, in a two thousand calorie diet that's 100 grams of fermentable fiber if you assume half the calories go to the host and all the fiber gets fermented. I got suspicious seeing that figure everywhere and hunted it down once, it did all come from one study, and basically it was all assumption rather than measurement of what happened when they crammed crazy amounts of fermentable fiber down people's throats. Most healthy people will be eating much smaller amounts of fermentable fiber, and not all will wind up as acetate. But even small amounts could still serve as a signalling molecule for the immune system.

I sort of wonder what the rate of production of acetate over the course of the day is like in a healthy person on a high fiber diet. Is a couple of tablespoons at meals or just before bed sort of a bolus model versus a constant drip while fiber is fermented over the course of hours?
  #924   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-18, 10:23

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I love vinegar. Ever since I've started reading Dr. Fung's books, I've had a bottle of apple cider vinegar ready and waiting. Love the taste.
  #925   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-18, 14:13

BF:

I Used the last of my bragg's--- and Im freaking out!!!!! I add it to my daily salad.
  #926   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-18, 22:42

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I love vinegar. Ever since I've started reading Dr. Fung's books, I've had a bottle of apple cider vinegar ready and waiting. Love the taste.
Haha. I have ACV in the fridge and keep wanting to use it more. But the taste just about makes me ill. I’m rather sad I hate it so much.
  #927   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 02:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Merpeg, Way back at the beginning of first finding Dr Fung and his Obesity model in which fiber and vinegar were components, I added flavored sweetener drops to be able to choke down vinegar...and still do. Whimp. I use STUR, can now buy it regular stores like Publix, a squeeze of that into vinegar and water...it is still tart but milder and slightly berry flavored. Which reminds me....

HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY DR FUNG THREAD FOLLOWERS!!!

I had started reading his website in late Spring of 2014 and wrote about his crazy ideas on Diabetes and Fasting here in July 2014. From obscure nephrologist to being quoted in the Harvard Health newsletter...

Interesting Harvard is accepting of fasting but still not low carb:
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog...e-2018062914156

Quote:
Intermittent fasting: Surprising update - Harvard Health Blog
Monique Tello, MD,MPH

There’s a ton of incredibly promising intermittent fasting (IF) research done on fat rats. They lose weight, their blood pressure, cholesterol, and blood sugars improve… but they’re rats. Studies in humans, almost across the board, have shown that IF is safe and incredibly effective, but really no more effective than any other diet. In addition, many people find it difficult to fast. But a growing body of research suggests that the timing of the fast is key, and can make IF a more realistic, sustainable, and effective approach for weight loss, as well as for diabetes prevention.

The backstory on intermittent fasting IF as a weight loss approach has been around in various forms for ages, but was highly popularized in 2012 by BBC broadcast journalist Dr. Michael Mosley’s TV documentary Eat Fast, Live Longer and book The Fast Diet, followed by journalist Kate Harrison’s book The 5:2 Diet based on her own experience, and subsequently by Dr. Jason Fung’s 2016 bestseller The Obesity Code. IF generated a steady positive buzz as anecdotes of its effectiveness proliferated.

Continues....

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jul-07-18 at 03:54.
  #928   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 07:49

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Haha. I have ACV in the fridge and keep wanting to use it more. But the taste just about makes me ill. I’m rather sad I hate it so much.

I don’t think it needs to be ACV to be helpful - any natural vinegar with the mother will do. I’ve been making kombucha vinegar which has a milder, kind of fruity taste (I use a mix of black, green and mint tea) and also wine vinegar out of a batch of homemade wine that didn’t turn out too good, lol.
These need to be mixed with water to drink - I add some squeezed lime or lemon, salt and potassium citrate to make an electrolyte beverage.

I also make apple scrap vinegar in the summer from my apple tree apples - you just chop up the apples and put into water, cover with cloth and wait (as opposed to making cider first). The vinegar is extremely mild and very drinkable on it’s own.
  #929   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 08:09

BF:

I don't think it even needs to have a mother, studies vs. blood glucose with vinegar use just plain white vinegar, water and acetic acid. Hard to make a proprietary claim for the simplest form, basically just a commodity. The whiff of "wholesome" really jacks up the price, for vinegar, for salt etc.
  #930   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-18, 09:13
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I am unable to use vinegar and other acids without balancing fat. Likewise, supplements like alpha lipoic acid give me terrible stomach aches. My stomach acid is high, but my body is alkaline. My GERD was treatable with apple, which is the opposite of the vinegar treatment recommended for most. For me, this works.

Forgot to add that taking probiotics also causes me bowel and stomach distress.

Last edited by bluesinger : Sat, Jul-07-18 at 09:43.