Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 16:00

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

The video about how insulin makes us fat on page one is great Janet! I've never seen it explained so well.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 06:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Meme,
Like Jean I would have found it hard (no impossible) to sit through.
Assuming she is in or near Medicare it is us who will paying the bills for her emergency room visits and eventual amputations and blindness. That is such a bizarre attitude (at least to me) to take toward her own health, I might resort to the negative reinforcement method...think Dr Fung and Fettke show gangrene limbs and write clearly that controlling BG doesn’t little to stop the progression of disease. Maybe her son can get through.

Great that Virta is getting press on this study in even political news!

Also Dr Hallberg's TedTalk has been republished as an article in the BMJ. It can be cited now. Rather than a talk about a study...in reverse order...How cool is that? http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...15&postcount=50

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-11-18 at 07:04.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Feb-11-18, 14:54

BF:

Janet, Well guess what DD3's BF's mother did last week to her son who is only in his late 20s and is doing so much better about not eating and drinking sugar to the point that it's almost normal now. Still more to go but headed in the right direction.

DD3 said that MIL to be, baked several dozen of cookies and brought them over in a huge Tupperware container.
Well DD told him to take it to work and let all of them have it...
Of course they ate all of the cookies..YAY!

Here is the strange and ironic thing. It turns out that one of the fellows who works with DD3's BF told BF mother the other day that her cookies were great. It turns out that he lives right next door to her!!
That is beyond coincidence in a city of a couple of million people!!

So now DD3's BF's mother knows that they didn't eat any of the cookies LOLOLOL... good for them, but IDK what she's trying to do to her own son...
Isn't this odd?

It's like the old saying, misery loves company!

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sun, Feb-11-18 at 15:54.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 03:33

Funny....now you can keep the BF supplied with LC sugar free cookies he can share with Mom when she visits. over Xmas, I made two simple recipes with Pyure, Walmart carries it now, my family liked them.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 05:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It's a kind of mindblindness going on.

On one level, everyone they know eats this way!

On another, they know they are not "supposed to" but keep deliberately fuzzy about details.

On the deepest level of all, they will admit they have nothing else to look forward to in their day. Of course, that can be changed; but some people have a terrible struggle with that.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Feb-12-18, 08:28

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

In a way, I understand the way their struggle - Their bodies are screaming for foods that are designed to be addictive. They probably feel like they have no choice - and truthfully, in the midst of carb addiction, they don't really have much choice. The reasoning part of the mind is overwhelmed, desperate for their next "fix", at least in part because of the massive amounts of insulin their body is pumping out, plus whatever amount of additional insulin they're injecting in an attempt to handle the massive amount of blood sugar.

They may or may not have their come-to-Jesus moment when the doctor says "I'm very sorry, but you are going blind, a side effect of uncontrolled diabetes", or "we have no choice but to amputate". Even then, they may not be able to give up their drug of choice, because they've gone so many years feeding their addiction. They're already of the belief that carbs are the only thing they have to look forward to in their day, so how much stronger will that attitude be if they don't even have sight or walking to look forward to?

I know it's sad and very frustrating to watch. But you can't make the decision for them. It's not like you can have them committed to a rehab facility to get off carbs. And even if you could, think about how many drug addicts slip back into their drug habit after going through rehab. There's a huge psychological component that needs to be addressed, and while others can help the addict through that part, the addict still needs to really want to change.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-18, 09:54

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Meme#1, how odd about your DD’s future MIL. I know a lot of people who eat lots of sugary things, but none of them actually *brag* about it! And to sabotage her son like that? My son and I talk a lot about diet. We don’t really agree in many ways. He is very opposed to a low carb diet and always eats plenty of carbs and makes sure his kids get plenty of carbs. But if I’m cooking for him and his family I make foods that respect their choices, and always include a side like rice 🍚 or potatoes 🥔. And you know what they say? You can’t argue with results. Oh his pretty high carb diet, but implementing some IF, he has lost 50+ pounds in the last year, looks fantastic, and is fitting into clothes he has not worn in nearly 10 years. Whereas I’m still stalled at the same weight I’ve always stalled at for 20 years on and off.
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-13-18, 10:47

BF:

Yes Merpic, Bragging and sabotaging her son Is very strange.
At one point during x-mas dinner there was something being said about his mother's Cokes, I was talking to someone else so only half way heard it, but BF looked at me and said, I'm drinking sugar free tea and I'm really getting use to it this way now! I replied, that's good! I sort of glanced at her, his mother, to see her reaction and I saw none. She's refusing to recognize that he NEEDS to eat this way, never mind what she's doing.
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jan-04-19, 04:12

Bad title for this thread, but you can see all Virta has done in less than two years since company launch!

The two year results have been published, and heard on a podcast that the study now has funding to go to five years. The website is a wealth of information.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/2-year-r...tients-thriving

2-year results of the Virta Health keto study: patients thriving

Quote:
How are the Virta Health patients with type 2 diabetes doing two years into their keto coaching experiment? Just great!

That is what the researchers recently reported in an abstract for Obesity Week.

The as-yet unpublished two-year results showed that the majority (74%) of the 262 patients were continuing with the program and achieving lasting and significant benefits in weight loss, better blood sugar control, lowered blood pressure, lowered inflammatory markers and improved blood lipid markers.

In fact, the study showed there was a 43.2% reduction in the number of patients meeting the defined criteria for diabetes at the two-year point. Average weight loss was close to 12 kg (26 lbs).

Obesity Week Abstract: Effectiveness of a continuous care intervention for type 2 diabetes management.

A year ago, Diet Doctor reported on Virta Health’s impressive results from the first year of its study.

Diet Doctor: 1-year results of the Virta Health keto study

The 43% diabetes reversal at two years is impressive, albeit a little disappointing after 60% reversal at one year. Realistically, backsliding is to be expected because it is almost always seen in long-term studies as subjects revert to old eating patterns. In short, the diet does not cure diabetes, rather evidence shows it puts it into remission. Blood sugar issues, and type 2 diabetes will likely return if people resume eating too many carbohydrates.

With results like these, shouldn’t nutritional ketosis be the way all doctors approach not only the management but the reversal of type 2 diabetes?

It’s yet more scientific evidence that eating fewer carbohydrates that digest into sugar will reduce blood glucose levels and reverse type 2 diabetes.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 06:18

Great News for Virta:
Virta has partnered with the Dept of Veteran Affairs!

https://www.virtahealth.com/veterans

And already announced on the VA website with a big banner at top of page. https://www.blogs.va.gov/VAntage/58...ype-2-diabetes/

So the Vegans have wigged out over this...which then touched off a Twitter War Twitter is not my thing, but I so despise Dr. Neal BarnYard and PCRM that it is interesting to watch from the sidelines. See Vegan vs Keto ~DrNealBarnard.

His letter to VA: https://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/...etter-Virta.pdf Followed by the lies in it enumerated by low carbers.
  #56   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 07:21

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Janet - excellent news! I wonder if the American Diabetes Association got wind of this news and that's why they put the low carb diet on their recommendation list?
  #57   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 10:35

I don't know but something is going on
And there was that recent Keto Military study on obesity.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482430

But if Low Carb gets accepted through the Diabetes angle that is fine with me. They can't argue that a diet good for reversal of diabetes could be bad for general health and weight reduction. And "More than 50 percent of Veterans using VHA health care are overweight and many Veterans with a Type 2 diabetes diagnosis carry excess body weight."
  #58   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 14:32

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

The Barnard letter reads very "scary." It would be impossible for the average person (the average doctor?? the average VA Board member??) to parse these claims compared to other dietary strategies.

P. S. I did not see the "rebuttal" points you mentioned, Janet.
  #59   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 15:09

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
They can't argue that a diet good for reversal of diabetes could be bad for general health and weight reduction.
unfortunately, Dr. Barnyard and hords of vegans can and will argue that! Just cuz an argument makes zero logical sense doesn't mean that some people won't make it anyway... especially if the argument advances their cause.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, May-06-19, 15:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
The Barnard letter reads very "scary." It would be impossible for the average person (the average doctor?? the average VA Board member??) to parse these claims compared to other dietary strategies.

P. S. I did not see the "rebuttal" points you mentioned, Janet.

The Rebuttals are on that well- reasoned, scientific Fount of Knowledge called Twitter.

And there is always the Fathead FB page to get the ball rolling: https://www.facebook.com/groups/574...59544352856959/ Gabor made a point, Barnard can delete a post from his twitter feed, but can't the "Laughing" symbol...I am really to old to learn the nuances of social media!

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, May-06-19 at 15:26.