Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 20:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%
Default Splenda Zero

Well, well, well; look what I found in my grocery store flyer today. The Splenda folks, who ignored our requests for consumer-available liquid Splenda (ie minus the carbs from bulking agents like maltodextrin) for years, finally put a product on the shelf. Splenda Zero. It looks like it's been available in the US for a while now.

I won't need to do the mail-order thang anymore. I thank Diane the Sweetzfree lady and the other subversive liquid sucralose distributors for their efforts.

Welcome to 2005, Splenda!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 08:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I found the Splenda Zero a couple of months ago at Loblaws. I did buy it to try although it's way overpriced IMO .. but then I've never been a big fan of splenda/sucralose. It has a metallic aftertaste that I really don't care for. Much prefer the clean sweet taste of SugarTwin (cyclamate).

The design of the bottle makes it nearly impossible to dispense just a drop or two. It wants to squirt out a half-teaspoonful or more with even the lightest squeeze. That's as much as I'd use in a whole recipe, not just a single serve. Or is there a trick to it that I don't know about??

Speaking of SugarTwin, for the last year I've noticed stores have been loading shelves with their (ie SugarTwin brand) stevia products, while the cyclamate products are gradually disappearing . I can't find the liquid ST anywhere locally and have to order online.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 09:14
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Being in the USA where cyclamates are illegal, I buy mine from global drugs online. The cost is really high because of customs, but there's no other way for us to get the product. I ordered the liquid once and the package arrived wet. Yep! Every bottle leaked. So I get the packets.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 20:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
Being in the USA where cyclamates are illegal

Me, too. Stupid government nannies.

I really need to get my passport card so I can go shopping in Canada. Maybe I'll start a cyclamate boot-legging business.

Fortunately, I like the liquid sucralose. I can get it at Fred Meyer in Spokane under the Apriva brand. Last time I was there I bought their last 2 bottles. Walmart used to carry it, but now they only have the stevia & Splenda-type products, neither of which I care for.

The Apriva bottle is by the squirt instead of the drop, too, which isn't very precise, but I don't do much precision cooking. I've found out how much of a squirt works in the things I make with it.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 09:10
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I finally solved the squirt vs. drop problem by transferring the Splenda Zero into a small glass bottle that previously held stevia extract. It has an eye dropper so no problem to measure out just a drop or two .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
M Maybe I'll start a cyclamate boot-legging business.

Actually, it's only banned from being sold .. it's perfectly legal for anyone in US to have cyclamate-based sweeteners for "personal use".

Beware buying large amounts for shipment to US, though . I recall reading a few years ago where someone had placed a large order on behalf of a group of friends, thinking they'd save money by sharing the cost of shipping, taxes and duty. Unfortunately, US customs confiscated at the border, assuming that several cases of product going to a single address were intended for sale