Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-17, 13:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%
Default Calorie banking does anyone here do it

I bank my calories for special occasions . I tried it with carbs but it doesn,t work as well a huge up day on carbs tends to throw me no matter how few carbs I at the days prior. What works for me with carbs is to use them up after the fact. A long fast walk as soon as the meal is over really helps and a meat and fat only fast the day after puts me right back on track.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-17, 17:12

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

You use two phrases; "throw me" and "back on track" - could you elaborate a little. I'm not exactly getting what you're getting at.

Carbs aside, are you taking about something like:

0 calories day one, then 4000 calories day 2 = 2000 calories day 1, then 2000 calories day 2 ?

If I'm eating LCHF, like I am doing this November, and over eat on Thanksgiving (but remaining LCHF) I typically will really pay attention to my appetite the day _after_ and if I'm not hungry, I'll try not to eat out of habit. I don't think I usually fast before feast in a planed manner. I could see that kind of pattern being promoting overeating more often for myself - As I could start to mis-interpret my normal appetite - which I barely have a handle on to begin with as far as knowing what hunger is.

Thanks for bringing up a interesting approach and perhaps someone might think it taboo

Last edited by thud123 : Fri, Nov-17-17 at 06:13. Reason: spelling added and added clarification
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-17, 18:47

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 230/165/160 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeyna
I bank my calories for special occasions . I tried it with carbs but it doesn,t work as well a huge up day on carbs tends to throw me no matter how few carbs I at the days prior. What works for me with carbs is to use them up after the fact. A long fast walk as soon as the meal is over really helps and a meat and fat only fast the day after puts me right back on track.

I think a lot of people do that , without thinking of it as banking. For example, I have seen a lot of people skip breakfast the day after eating more than normal, e.g. Thanksgiving or some other celebration. Before starting the IF protocol, if I over ate, or had extra carbs, I would eat less the next day. I guess the only difference is that banking implies anticipating overeating, what some may call a cheat day, rather than a natural reaction to over eating. Interesting subject.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-16-17, 21:49

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

I can't wait till I hit my goal so I can CAREFULLY "experiment" with stuff like this
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-17, 04:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

My perspective - It's a bad idea. For me it holds the potential of bringing on cravings that sticking to my plan avoids. Plus sugar and grains are toxic and why put toxic substances in my body? And the high fructose content of fruits do me no favors either. It really depends on your priorities and what works for you but for me sticking to plan outweighs most any other consideration plus it keeps things simple. I just say "no".

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-17, 07:58

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I guess it depends on how you go about it. If, say, I ate 1900 calories a day six days a week so I could have 2600 calories on Saturday, that seems like something that wouldn't make me feel too deprived vs. just having 2000 calories every day. There inevitably are going to be days when we eat a bit more, planning them in instead of experiencing unplanned cheats could be less stressful.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-17-17, 09:17

BF:

I have been doing it this past year. I went online and found out my daily cal. needs for someone my age and goal size then on my cal. up day I go up to that point in cals. with a disregard for carbs. So it was still a weight loss day just not a super low carb day. By banking cals I was able to have a really high cal low carb day without a stall as well. I am a over 50 short small boned female so I have to count both to lose
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 18:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
I guess it depends on how you go about it. If, say, I ate 1900 calories a day six days a week so I could have 2600 calories on Saturday, that seems like something that wouldn't make me feel too deprived vs. just having 2000 calories every day. There inevitably are going to be days when we eat a bit more, planning them in instead of experiencing unplanned cheats could be less stressful.

I agree that planning makes sense, but my question is does it really work that way, and if so, what are the parameters. For example, if we extrapolate that to a monthly splurge, does it mean I could eat 1900 cal per day and then have 4900 cal on the 30th day. That sounds like a bad idea. There is no doubt we are programmed for a 24 hour rhythm, but I'm not sure about longer periods.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 18:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonBill
I can't wait till I hit my goal so I can CAREFULLY "experiment" with stuff like this

If your experience is like mine, you probably will need to experiment. At least I'm not going backwards, but I am having trouble getting to that next step.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 20:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
If your experience is like mine, you probably will need to experiment. At least I'm not going backwards, but I am having trouble getting to that next step.

From what I have been reading, (and based on the fact that I lost 17 pounds my first week on low carb and cured my edema), there is considerable glycogen bound up with water when you eat a diet with carbs which gets used up when you go into ketosis. It only makes sense that some of this water weight would come back once you go back to eating (limited quantities) of carbs - at least that's my theory.

I am wondering if some people eat a few carbs and see 6-10 pounds come back and freak out when its just water, so that will be my test. When I hit 170 I'll try something like going to 50 carbs a day for a couple of weeks and I wont freak out unless my weight goes over 180 - or perhaps I'll go down to 160 if I am going to keep 170 my permanent target...

Anyways, it will be fun to experiment

Last edited by TucsonBill : Sat, Nov-18-17 at 22:47.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-17, 22:37

BF:

If your weight bounces up after a height carb meal it should bounce right back down in a few days . I never consider a one time height on the scales to be something I need to panic about. Scales aren,t accurate day to day so you have to watch for a pattern. I usually consider what ever weight I hit three times in a week to be right.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-19-17, 18:38

BF:

Actually, I just realized I'd been doing a bit of "banking" without even fully realizing it. I often fast on Saturdays and then pig out on Sunday
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-17, 00:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins / South Beach
Stats: 265/246/185 Male 71 inhes
BF:
Progress: 24%

I'm not a big fan of calorie "banking" per se. IMHO it is better to accept rare increases in consumption of calories and carbs on "special occasions" and the just get right back on your program.

On those "special occasions" make plans that will allow you to enjoy the festivities without going completely off the rails nutritionally. Take a traditional Thanksgiving dinner for example. Plan on eating larger portions of turkey, green beans, and whatever other relatively healthful selections are available and go very easy on the stuffing, sweet potatoes and pumpkin pie. Try to keep your portion sizes reasonable.

Say you eat 500 kCal and 40g more carbs than you would at a typical meal. Not a disaster. Don't starve yourself before (it'll just make it harder to resist overindulging) or after (that'll just exacerbate the blood glucose crash). Go back to your normal nutrition and exercise plan, maybe go back to induction for a few days, but don't cut calories below your normal daily average. Any momentary gains will be forgotten in a couple of days and life will be good again.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-17, 19:59

BF:

All rare updays in cals will result in a weight gain without some kind of compisation on the other side of the spectrum. I think what a lot of us over weight people have in common is while we don,t gorge ourselfs we do go slightly over in cals on a semi regular basis and we don,t compisate by naturally having the same amount of lower days. I am trying to find a easy way to be more mindful of that.