Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 11:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Svelte Colorado is loosening its belt"

Svelte Colorado is loosening its belt

What's the skinny? Obesity rate doubles, yet state still leanest

By Bill Scanlon, Rocky Mountain News

June 13, 2003

link to article

One in seven Colorado adults is obese, a doubling of the obesity rate in 11 years, a new state survey indicates.

But despite the proliferation of poundage, Colorado remains the leanest state in the nation, said Douglas Benevento, executive director of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.

Mississippi has the highest obesity rate, with 27 percent of its adults in that category.

The rise in obesity is blamed on too much food, too little exercise, a decline in manual labor and easy access to cars.

Benevento said that obese adults are 1 ½ to two times more likely to die prematurely than thin people.

Obesity is linked to heart attacks, strokes, high blood pressure, arthritis, asthma, sleep apnea, depression and at least four cancers: breast, prostate, colon and endometrial, he said.

Some 4,500 Coloradans die of obesity-related illnesses each year, said health department Chief Medical Officer Dr. Ned Calonge.

Benevento said obesity costs Colorado $500 million a year. "The health costs associated with obesity exceed those associated with tobacco use."

Colorado's poorest residents are most likely to be obese. Among those with household incomes of less than $25,000 a year, one in five is obese.

One in nine adults in households earning more than $50,000 a year is obese.

Obesity is defined as a body-mass index of more than 30. People can calculate their own BMI by multiplying weight in pounds by 704, then dividing that number by height in inches twice. For example, a 6-foot-tall (72-inch) person who weighs 200 pounds would have a BMI of 27, which is overweight but not obese.

The health department's Health Statistics Section surveys 2,000 adults every year. The latest survey found that 14.9 percent of Colorado adults - 450,000 - are obese. In 1990, the rate was 6.9 percent.

The eastern plains have the highest rate of obesity - 18 percent - while the ski-resort counties of Eagle, Garfield, Lake, Pitkin and Summit average a 7.5 percent obesity rate.

In the survey, one in six obese adults reported fair or poor health. Among the non-obese, about one in nine described their health that way.

Obesity doesn't appear to increase mental-health problems. According to the survey, 37 percent of the obese and 35 percent of the non-obese reported having one or more bad mental-health days in the past month.

The middle-aged are most likely to be obese. More than one in six Coloradans between 45 and 54 is obese; just one in 20 adults younger than 25 is. One in seven seniors is obese.

The non-obese tend to eat fruits and vegetables more regularly and exercise more, although 22 percent of those in the obese range reported exercising at least three days a week. Nineteen percent of the obese said they eat at least five servings of fruits or vegetables a day.

Calonge said that while regular exercise and a healthy diet are crucial, "Diets, as usually defined, are not effective in long-term weight loss." Instead, permanent, sustainable changes in eating habits are required. If the weight is taken off slowly and steadily, a 10 percent drop in weight eliminates many of the health problems.

The ballooning of America came during the 1990s and the turn of the millennium, when low-fat, high-carbohydrate diets became popular.

That has prompted some Atkins Diet adherents to say high-carbohydrate diets were all wrong, that diets high in fat that more completely quench the appetite are better.

A recent study indicated that people on high-fat, low-carbohydrate diets lost more weight than those on low-fat, high-carb diets. Additionally, those on the high-fat diet had more favorable cholesterol levels.

The consensus, though, is that it's the extra food one eats off any diet - against the advice of dietitians - that balloons the belly and fattens the calves.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 11:58

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default My philosophy

I'd just like to say that I think obesity is not the problem or cause of poor health. Getting there is -- as in eating too many high glycemic carbs and not enough activity (with a smattering of trans fats and other unhealthy practices thrown in).

It took me a lot of years to get to the poor state of health I was in before I started low-carbing and got healthy. Even though I'm still considered obese with a BMI of 38.4 (based on their calculation), I am healthy now and getting healthier daily. But to get healthy, I had to reverse my bad habits and embrace low-carbing, to control my insulin response, and exercise, to train my body to deal with food properly and to help it function well (and to hike and dance).

;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Fri, Jun-13-03 at 12:07.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 12:50

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I agree with Deb on this one...I just recently got down to the BMI I was in 1996. At that time, I was just beggining to get significantly overweight. I was only Obese for a few weeks in 1996/1997. I managed to drop 22 pounds on a LF/HC diet and get down to a 24.9 BMI. My Blood Pressure was high the whole time.

When I went on Atkins, my BMI was 42.81. I cut the carbs and before it even dropped below 40, I was feeling alot better than I had in years. At a BMI of 35, I tested my Blood Pressure for the first time since going on Atkins...It was down to the normal range. By the time I reached 32, my Blood Pressure was well within the normal range. My BMI is now 29.9.

Now, all I got to do is lose this last 36 pounds and get my Cholesterol checked.

Last edited by cc48510 : Fri, Jun-13-03 at 12:53.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-03, 13:49

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Re: My philosophy

Quote:
Originally posted by DebPenny
I'd just like to say that I think obesity is not the problem or cause of poor health
;-Deb

They are probably mistaking the sympton for the cause.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-03, 04:57

Stats: 297/235/190
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Colorado's poorest residents are most likely to be obese. Among those with household incomes of less than $25,000 a year, one in five is obese.

Carbs are the cheapest foods. When pasta/rice/potatoes make up a large part of the diet you get obese.

danny