Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 17:24

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Shirataki Noodles

Hi All,

Been looking online at different brands and types and just not to sure on which one to get. Seems there is a Miracle Noodle: Shirataki Noodles and then other types that states Tofu?

Can you please advise which type to purchase that has the lowest carb/calorie count?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-24-14, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 247.4/229.2/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Miracle noodles

Miracle noodles for sure. They have less than 1 carb per serving and no calories. Plus it's made of a water soluble fiber material, no sugar or starch. There is a certain fishy smell when you open the bag but just rinse them in hot water(sometimes I boil them), pat them dry and then I microwave or sauté them on a skillet. They won't burn. It's strange. But once you start mixing them with stuff, they're great! They are rubbery so I wouldn't suggest a tomato sauce. Cream sauces and soups are what I usually add to them. Also great for a Mac n cheese substitute, spring rolls(with a coconut Paleo wrapper, and risotto. The Miracle brand has a couple kinds of noodles, "rice" and ziti. I've had them with grilled chicken and Alfredo sauce lately and it's my favorite recipe so far. The tofu shirataki have 3 times as many carbs, plus calories and fat. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 10:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Miracle noodles are made from the same stuff as other brands, so don't pay extra for them. They're all made from glucomannan, calcium citrate and water.

The tofu ones have tofu and a better flavor/texture I think.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 12:14

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

I was just looking for these things (at Kroger) yesterday and couldn't find them, despite the Fat Fast Cookbook telling me there'd be no trouble

What section do you guys find 'em? I tried pasta aisle, "ethnic" aisle, "health food" aisle to no avail...Or maybe our friendly giant Wal-store has them, perchance?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 12:27

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
I was just looking for these things (at Kroger) yesterday and couldn't find them, despite the Fat Fast Cookbook telling me there'd be no trouble

What section do you guys find 'em? I tried pasta aisle, "ethnic" aisle, "health food" aisle to no avail...Or maybe our friendly giant Wal-store has them, perchance?

I've never seen them at Kroger, but you might get lucky in the produce aisle, that's where my main supermarket stocks them.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 12:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

They are always in the refrigerated section where I find them. I have only found them at more health food oriented stores.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 12:58

BF:

Thanks all. I tried Super Walmart but no go so going to try Farmers Market.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 13:14
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

The only non-tofu shiritaki available in my area (southern Ontario) were these odd bundles tied in knots. They were pretty rubbery. My preferred way of eating them was to chop them up with scissors, as if you were cutting spaghetti for a toddler. And I'd be sure to only bother eating them with something strongly-flavoured and textured, like my really spicy thick beefy tomato sauce with lots of Parmesan cheese.

The tofu shiritaki, I find much more palatable. I still prefer them with distracting flavours and textures. They are definitely not just magical calorie-free ramen. :/

Tofu shiritaki has a slightly higher carb/calorie content, but still ridiculously low and worth it, IMO.

The ones I buy are "House Foods" brand. Here's where they might be available in AZ:

http://www.house-foods.com/sp/tofu_...l_store_usa/#AZ

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Aug-25-14 at 13:20.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 14:12

BF:

Bummer. no go at local Trader Joe. Might have to resort to Amazon.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 14:14

BF:

Thanks for info and link. Checked the AZ locators and the closest is AJ's Fine at 38 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
The only non-tofu shiritaki available in my area (southern Ontario) were these odd bundles tied in knots. They were pretty rubbery. My preferred way of eating them was to chop them up with scissors, as if you were cutting spaghetti for a toddler. And I'd be sure to only bother eating them with something strongly-flavoured and textured, like my really spicy thick beefy tomato sauce with lots of Parmesan cheese.

The tofu shiritaki, I find much more palatable. I still prefer them with distracting flavours and textures. They are definitely not just magical calorie-free ramen. :/

Tofu shiritaki has a slightly higher carb/calorie content, but still ridiculously low and worth it, IMO.

The ones I buy are "House Foods" brand. Here's where they might be available in AZ:

http://www.house-foods.com/sp/tofu_...l_store_usa/#AZ
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-14, 21:46

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 186/156/135 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

I saw some shiritaki noodles today at Walmart in the fresh vegetable section with the wonton/ egg roll wrappers. I didn't notice if they tofu or non tofu.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-14, 05:20

BF:

Nice. The Walmart i checked was not a super center or neighborhood market so there was almost zero food options.

I ended up going through Amazon (Pack of 6) and wow it shows that its in transit for delivery today.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-14, 04:32

BF:

Had some last night w/ Steak Chunks and 2 eggs (also a side a salad) and i love it. Def' absorbs the flavors and did not mind the texture at all. Also very filling that i have quite a bit left over for tonight.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-14, 09:18

Plan: Zero
Stats: 95/95/95 Female 50
BF:0
Progress: 36%

That's cool. I might just try them now that you've given the Maori Seal of Approval! Which ones did you buy again?
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-14, 09:30

BF:

Miracle Noodle Shirataki Pasta, Angel Hair, 7-Ounce (Pack of 6)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Qualified for Amazon Prime which is a bonus and it arrived the next day after ordering. There is a smell when you open up the packaging so i followed the instructions of rinsing them in a colander with cold water for 5 minutes then blanch for 2-3 minutes before adding them to the frying pan of coconut oil and protein.

Last edited by Maori : Wed, Aug-27-14 at 09:38.