Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 12:56

Plan: atkins 72
Stats: 308/282/165 Female 5'9"
BF:...whatever!
Progress: 18%
Default Longest....Day......EVER!!!

So I freely admit that I have fallen off the wagon, landed face first into a puddle of carbs (deliciously, I admit)

I've also gotten very lax for the last couple of months. Extra Heavy cream in my coffee, up to 3 or 4 cups (large glasses) per day......
overdoing my "legal" treats
snacking, snacking, and more snacking.....

then this weekend I completely fell off the rails of my "carby" train.
Full on sugary dessert, french toast with syrup, 2 pieces of wheat toast, it was a complete carb tragedy.
yesterday I ate Hershey's chocolate!!!

I'm an addict, I'm not proud of it, but this morning I decided to try my damnedest to get back on track. I went into my fat secret account and recorded my weight this morning. #255 (and not proud of it)
I measured out my cream in my coffee, had only 1 cup and for breakfast I had a carefully measured out protein shake

my shake was 210 calories, my coffee was 374 (hello heavy cream! goodbye heavy cream!! ) all at around 7am

started getting hungry around 9 or so, so I had a piece of SF gum, then awhile later I looked at the clock and it was just just after 9, had a diet soda.........

make a phone call ( business) and felt like I was on the phone for-ev-er
and had felt hungry, so then I opened the fridge to look...... looked at the calories and carbs on the cottage cheese container. Looked at the clock again because I want to EAT and it said 9:20am

Loudly complained to my husband that this sucks, I'm flippin hungry and I can't believe it's only 9:20!!!!
He laughs and says it's 11:45! the battery in the clock stopped!!!

PRAISE GOD I CAN EAT LUNCH NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*sigh* going to be a long day, long week, long whatever........

need love, support and a good kick in the oversized pants. Tired of failure.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 13:07

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%

thats all in the past, you know what to do, start now
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 14:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4"
BF:BMI=23.2
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esam
my shake was 210 calories, my coffee was 374 (hello heavy cream! goodbye heavy cream!! ) all at around 7am

looked at the calories and carbs on the cottage cheese container. Looked at the clock again because I want to EAT and it said 9:20am

If you're counting both calories and doing Atkins, it seems to me like that's putting enough pressure on you to drive *anyone* to eventually break down and binge. It seems, to me, like you're setting a standard of perfection that makes the diet harder to do than it should be.

I'm not arguing that calories don't matter. I've read somewhere around here that some people only lose pounds when they do low-cal and low-carb together. But even if that is the case, if your low-cal/low-carb approach is driving you to uncontrolled snacking and eventually to a binge on carbs, you would still have a better chance of losing pounds if you did a higher-calorie Atkins that you could stick with, in which you eat food that you enjoy, when you're hungry, until you're satisfied.

Maybe you won't lose in a super fast way if you stop counting calories. But if you're losing 5 pounds in a week with the low-cal thing and then gaining 5 pounds next week because you've veered off plan, that's not really speedy fat loss.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 14:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

You're probably hungry because you need some protein. Fat is great, but it's a combination of fat and protein that provides the most satiation. At least, that's how it works for me.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 14:41

Plan: DirtyCarnivore/vlc Atkins
Stats: 181.2/125.0/123 Female 65
BF:34.6%/19.7%/?
Progress: 97%

How much protein was in your shake? What about doing 2 shake servings and skipping the coffee? I know all you coffee drinkers will gasp at that! Ha! I can't stand coffee! But seriously--if you're occupied with drinking the shake instead, do you think you can get past that morning coffee? I'd rather get the protein & calories from the extra shake than the calories from the coffee. Seems it would do you more good, too.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 18:17

Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

You may want to also consider eliminating sugar free gum and diet soda.

I know that it is really hard to do - but I am beginning to think artificially sweetened things are practically like using real sugar anyway and might be causing you to feel more hunger pains.

I know this doesn't seem fair but eliminating diet soda seems to help me with cravings.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 19:15

thanks guys for the input....

it's 6pm, just had dinner.
I'm entering everything I eat in fat secret so I can see an overall picture of whats going on.

I'm mostly concerned with carbs than I am with overall calories, so thats why my coffee wasn't negotiable!! (sorry amelia-b) I'd rather not eat than give up my coffee ( I've tried several times, but still come back)

the gum and diet soda are just to get me over the hump, I can easily give up the soda without a backwards glance, the gum might be a bit harder, I love the fresh breath when I don't have a toothbrush handy ( like out and about)

dinner was a small salad, couple bratworst, and onions. Apparently the onions are super high in carbs.

I'm at 1700 calories, which doesn't stress me, what does stress me out is the 61gm of carbs that I managed to consume while thinking that I'm "relatively" low carb. That means I seriously need to pay more attention, and do some tweaking.....

keep up the support and comments! I appreciate it!

#8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 20:14

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

Hang in there you know how to do this . Just look at how far you have come and give your self a big pat on the back then recharge and get back to it. Carb. creep really sucks and its a sneaky little devil. It took me several days of feeling like I was starving to get back my mojo after I noticed I was having trouble with carb. creep and cracked back down on counting and measuring everything. You,ll get there just give it a few days.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 20:53

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

Probably if instead of the shake you have bacon and eggs for breakfast you won't be so hungry.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-25-12, 22:35

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

Hi Sam!

Nice to meet you! At least your derailment was days/weeks, mine went from one meal, to several days, and lasted for a whole year! (this was from one ‘cheat’ meal of chips and dip!)
I'm glad to hear you are pressing forward....ALL of us have been there (and those who say they haven't may still face it in the future)....we're all struggling with the same addiction and it is a process, for sure…

Keep your chin up and push through induction week and you’ll be back on track in no time!

Julie
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 13:34

today is better...

breakfast was coffee (with less cream that in the past)
3 eggs boiled with mayo (yumm egg salad)

lunch is hamburger patty's with cheese,

carbs so far today at 2gm's!!! and it's past lunch!

sometimes shakes do make me crave more, but yesterday, the thought of egg's didn't sit well with me, and I eat bacon about every other day..... quite the bacoholic, here......
in fact the impending bacon shortage has me in a bit of a panic.....
I'm already planning on stocking up as soon as I have $$$

I was down 2# this morning. (and I've been peeing alot!)
good sign.......
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 13:38

Hi Julia!!

(great quote from Isaiah)

I've been on this carber coaster for awhile, my main motivation was after a 6 month attempt at being vegan and ended up with systemic candida that made me want to die!!! thats my main motivation not to eat carbs, they hurt me.

I'd love to lose the weight, but until I can get myself to exercize, I doubt it's going to happen. I just need to eat compliantly, that's all I can do now...
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 17:45

Plan: VLC, Paleo
Stats: 243/228.4/135 Female 5ft 2 inches
BF:way too much!!!
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by esam
Hi Julia!!

(Great quote from Isaiah)

I've been on this carber coaster for awhile, my main motivation was after a 6 month attempt at being vegan and ended up with systemic candida that made me want to die!!! thats my main motivation not to eat carbs, they hurt me.

I'd love to lose the weight, but until I can get myself to exercize, I doubt it's going to happen. I just need to eat compliantly, that's all I can do now...

I agree with you on the weight thing for sure!

I like your term 'carb coaster' and I'm glad you're not vegan anymore. My friend is a vegan and I'm not really sure how to 'preach' LC to her - it terrifies her that I eat pork fat and beef!

Back to the weight thing...I've heard many people on here say that your body has to be healthy before losing weight - I think I'm in that category. I am so messed up (metabolically) that it's probably going to take a while to shed some fat-pounds. However, I'm already seeing positive results with my BG#s lowering and being less erratic and AF visited on week # 2. (I also have PCOS, so that is very rare for me!)

...so I know my hormones and other health factors are starting to change - for the good!....I know now (I mean I really, really, really know now) that this is a total WOL for me and my health/weight loss will all trend better as I continue on...

...btw, Isaiah 40:31 is one of my life-verses...very powerful! I saw you had a cool verse too!

Have a great week!

Julie
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 22:50

thanks Julie!

yeah, WOL it is...... not what I would have chosen for myself, but then I look at the people around me and what their vice's are, I don't complain so much anymore.
I'm not fighting drug addiction, alcoholism, violence, abuse... etc etc etc

Although at times I'm a bit jealous that I can't eat the crap I want, but I can't dwell on it. That would make me crazy, so I try my best to shrug it off and move on.

today was day 2, I'm done eating for the day and ended up with (drum roll please........)

Fat(g) Carbs(g) Net C(g) Prot(g) KCals
155.24 23.09 19.27 160.08 2190

64% fat, 32% protein, 4%carbs.

you know Julie, it's hard to talk to someone who is a "believer" in one specific diet ...... I imagine that we get a bit defensive at times over LC. I tend to not say much, there are several girls at church that are going crazy over raw juicing right now, they are posting 10 things a day on facebook about it. I can't say much, they don't understand my perspective and it could just get into a big fight. Love them through it and pray for their health. Maybe people do have different body chemistry and can handle different ways of eating. More power to them.

(without getting too preachy, Jesus did say that it wasn't what we put into our mouths, but what is in our hearts......)

have a great night!! tomorrow is another day!

keep it groovy
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-27-12, 07:01

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I have a juicer that my mother gave me for x-mas a few years ago. The only thing we've used it for is to make really good mixed drinks

She wanted me to go healthier and give up LC, I bet she wasn't meaning to turning me into a drinker!