Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 06:44

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Talking Celebrate!

Just wanted to celebrate with you other LC parents. My son has been doing this WOE for one week now. He's never done ANYTHING like this before, and he's doing so well!

He still asks for special treats; which I have to tell him to "hold off" on until his Reward Meal. He can handle that.

Anyhoot. He lost another 2 lbs 2 oz. today. He's so happy and seems to be content to live this way.

I just need to find him some LC bread, as he's really missing bread.

He has one more week before school starts and my goal is to have him set in this WOE before he goes back. At least so he can see the results and how it truly works, hoping he'll have the resolve to stick it out once the cookies come into class!

PTL! We're doing this together!

Jeannie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 07:37

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 238/212/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Congrats for helping your son with his NWOE. I have 2 teen sons (ages 15 and 16). They, my husband and myself all started this past May 6th on eating lower carbs. My 16 year old has lost 42 pounds, the 15 year old has lost 26 pounds and my husband and I have lost 33 pounds each. The boys have done so well with this WOE. Even when my husband and I were out of town for a few days, the boys never were tempted to cheat. They have both been so pleased with the results and are planning on monitoring their food for life.

Good luck to you and your family.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-28-02, 21:11

Plan: CAD (Basically)
Stats: 175/154.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:lot/less/little
Progress: 59%
Talking just more happiness

just wanted to share again how well things are going for my son. Today he had an orientation at school. The principal offered fudge bars to the students when it was all over. My son just walked away. He said, "Fudge bars just didn't sound all that good to me."

Later he said, "I can't believe this, but I just don't want cookies anymore. I used to always want cookies."

Then, he and my younger son went into a store to buy drinks. He came out with a Vanilla Coke. I didn't say anything, although I knew how many carbs were in this drink, I don't want to hound the poor kid. WELL, he said, "I'm not going to drink this now. I'm saving it for my reward meal."

My o My. What a different boy this is than the one I had just 2 weeks ago.

Also, he put on a pair of jean shorts and came down exclaiming, "The last time I put these on, I had to lie down on the bed. Now I could button them standing up!"

Just wanted to share. I'm so happy for him.

Jeannie
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 15:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's wonderful that your son is kicking his sugar addiction! I just had my 8 year old to the doctor today for an ear infection and while I was there, I asked her what an appropriate weight would be for her. She's in the 80th percentile for height, but off the charts for weight. At 51 inches tall, she weighs in at 78 lbs. Doc looked at her height, then compared it with the same percentile with weight and said 65 lbs would be a good weight for her.
I told her what we've been doing for the past 10 days (cutting sugar and starches, adding more veggies) and her pediatrician thought it was a great idea and that it was wonderful that we're getting her to eat "more healthy" and if we kept her with it, she would probably slim down in no time.
Now that school has started, I'm noticing a definite difference between now and last year. Homework gets done right away with a minimum of complaining and she seems to be able to focus much better.