Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 16:36

Plan: Protein Power/6WBM
Stats: 181.5/139/129 Female 66"
BF:55%/27.5%/22%
Progress: 81%
Thumbs up Lost 6 Pounds In 3 Days!!

I've been stalled for 2 and 1/2 months, since the end of January. I had lost 30 pounds rather quickly (15 in November, 10 in December - even during the Christmas holidays!, and 5 in January). Then everything just stopped. I still worked out as always and ate, most of the time, according to my plan. But slowly 5 pounds crept back on and I would bounce between 150 and 153.

So I'm trying something new. Still PP-ish, but candidly, I don't think I would recommend it to others just yet EXCEPT FOR THE BLUEPRINTING PART. I'll explain.

Saw an infomercial for Michael Thurmond's 6 Week Body Makeover. Perhaps you all have heard of him before, but I hadn't. The general thrust of his program is that everybody's metabolism is different - that's why some of us do better with more carbs, while some of us only have to look at them to gain weight. Some need more fat, some less, etc., etc. He says that in order to lose weight, you need to know what your specific body type is and then eat the foods that work for your metabolism/body type. (This is a methodology called metabolic typing and it's been around for years.)

Then he adds 15-18 minutes of body sculpting moves done twice a week with a body band for your specific body type, so you sculpt the body you want. No point in working on areas you don't need help with, or wasting time working the wrong muscle.

You also add some aerobic activity (he recommends walking). But he says 70% of your weight loss will come from the diet plan, so if you can't do everything all at once, don't worry about it. You do have to eat every 2-3 hours, which I think many of us do anyway. Only fresh, whole foods. Nothing processed.

So I ordered the program and I'm on Day 3 and I've lost 6 pounds already! I'll bet you dollars to donuts that all of it was water, but I'll take it. I'm down to 147.5. The reason I wouldn't recommend it yet, though, is that it's SO restrictive. NO added fat. NO added salt! No added sugar. I looked at my lunch Sunday and wanted to burst into tears: 3 egg whites scrambled with red peppers - and no salt. 1/2 cup of rice - and no salt. A cup of Brussels sprouts - and no salt. (I hadn't shopped for the program yet.)

I disagree with a lot of the program (like no dairy - at all) but I'm giving it a shot for this week. If I see real progress - not just water weight lost - then I may continue. It's a 6 week trial and you can get your money back if you're not satisfied.

But the thing I really DID find helpful was the blueprinting process! You can do this part on line, for free, at www.provida.com - then go to the 6 Week Body Makeover and look for the "Get Your Blueprint for Free" area. What an eye opener! I'm a Type E: combination ectomorph and endomorph. That means I'm basically a skinny body type (was a skinny kid/adolescent/young adult) that has a very hard time building and keeping muscle, with a lot of loose fat hanging on my frame. The thing that's so inspirational is to see the before and after pictures of people with the before pictures marked up with blue ink for the areas to be changed - kind of like a blueprint - and then see how their new bodies reflect those changes! WoW!

The program is INCREDIBLY detailed, because it's specific to MY body - the food, the exercises, everything. It gives me a little hope that maybe this time I'm not stumbling around. But I'll let everyone know how it goes. By far the hardest part so far is the lack of salt - and I'm not even a salt user! I only use a little on my eggs, but other than that, I never use the salt shaker! What a surprise to realise how much I miss sodium! Yeah, you can use Mrs. Dash and other seasonings - I have to get some Mrs. Dash tonight. But no salt substitute, because it has sodium in it, which makes your body retain water...he says. Actually, salt substitute has no sodium, but it does have potassium chloride, which, scientifically speaking, is a "salt." I have adjusted, though, in 3 days. I didn't think I'd get past Day One without a little sodium, but I was wrong. Nothing succeeds like success!

So that's my story. If anyone's interested, I'll let you know how it goes. Check out the free blueprinting for yourself, though - it's REALLY interesting! Here's the link directly to the blueprinting part (if you don't go through the website's front door)

I have already posted this is the PP and exercise areas of this forum, but since I got such a big WHOOSH (3 pounds the first day alone!), I thought others might appreciate the information to help break a stall. I'm not suggesting you buy his program, but the blueprinting part (and the basic info you get for free) is really helpful. And that's what this forum is all about, right?

Michelle

Last edited by Kristine : Wed, Feb-27-08 at 06:21. Reason: fixing formatting
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-18-05, 16:46

Thumbs up 6 Week Body Makeover and Exercise

I should also mention that my abdomen has also lost 1.5 inches in two days (from Sunday to Tuesday). I actually feel really good - no cravings, which is veddy unusual, since it's TOM. The 100 ounces of water is going right through me, which actually suits me fine, as it "helps" things, if you know what I mean.

As for me, I'm a type E, so lots of protein and especially red meat to build muscle. That jives nicely with PP, and that pleases me. My plan requires eating 1/2 cup of either rice or potato twice a day - so far, so good. But it feels so weird to eat those starchy carbs! I have so indoctrinated myself NOT to eat those kinds of things that it feels like a major cheat to do so. But 1/2 cup is a very small amount, and, as with much of this LC WOL, portion control is key. It was nice to have a couple of roasted potato wedges today...

I've also taken my workouts back a notch or two. You're supposed to keep your heart rate in your fat burning zone, but I've been using the numbers from my age 10 years ago!! (I'm embarrassed I forgot that, as I used to be certified to teach aerobics...) So I don't have to work nearly as hard, according to Thurmond (and others). I love the Firm tapes - have more than 60 of them - and they do a lot of step, incline, and tall box work, all of which raise my heart rate WAY out of the fat burning zone. But I got used to doing them and always felt like I got a terrific, sweat-dripping-off-my-hair cardio workout. I've modified everything to keep my heart rate much lower - we'll see how it does for burning fat.

I'd be interested to know what body types you come up with when you do the blueprint, so let me know, all! I was surprised to see how much I agreed with mine - do you agree with yours?

Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 08:42

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Michelle,

Very interesting.I am a (C)
I would have to read up on this diet alittle more before giving it a try.
Funny thing is I dont like potatoes..................aaaaau
I am also not a sweet tooth and the foods for a c are sweet fruits and pots.I dont think i could even force myself to eat them

It is very interesting and please keep us posted!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 09:20

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%

I just tried to post a response and for some reason it diddn't work..anyway I found this VERY intereting! My hubby and I are complete oposites! from what I can guess about him on the quiz....but it is very difficult to get him to try to do something about his big belly now....keep us up to date on your success!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 10:54

Default Down Another Pound Today!

Day 4 and I'm down 7 pounds!! I'm not hungry, have NO cravings, and feel terrific! Plenty of energy!

cygirl, I looked in my book for what your alternatives to potatoes are: (in no special order) jicama, parsnips/turnips, rutabagas, potatoes, squash, yam/sweet potato. Sweet fruits would be grapes, mango, nectarines, oranges, tangerines, watermelon. Perhaps something on this list would be acceptable...?

schelle, isn't it interesting how different a husband and wife can be?!

Michelle
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 13:18

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%

So does the "book"/ info you recieve help ALL the types? so when you pay the $119 you are able to help both husband and wife?
I understand that people have different metabolisims (sorry a bad speller) anyway 'cuase many people in my family vary in sizes some struggle with just being 20 lbs over and some more than that but my middle little sister-well she is 28-she can wear little kids clothes or 0-4 depending on if she is "bloated" we did a happy dance a few years ago when she moved back home from Arizona (too dry) she was UNDER 90! EEKK she looked like a skeleton with skin! anyway, my hubby would probably kill me if I purchased anything else right now....
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 13:23
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I got the 6-day book, haven't really read it much. Personally I find the whole body typing thing to be junk science. I was really hoping the book would have work out tips.

I suspect the diet works because it is so spartan.

Having said that, I might try it anyway.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:39

Smile

Schelle, yes, you can help both husband and wife with the same program, because ALL body type information is in there, and separated for men vs. women. You'd probably have to get a second little 3 ring binder and xerox the divider cards and the pages that are universal to both your plan and his.

Nancy, I suppose the weight loss could be because it's spartan, and it certainly is low-fat, but I'm eating 6 times a day AND I'm having (small quantities of) white potatoes and white rice, which are certainly considered villains for their ability to raise blood sugar levels. I don't have the book you referred to - but I have to tell you that they give some info on the "Six Day Mini Makeover" in the program, and that is DEFINITELY NOT recommended as the way to go until you've healed your metabolism, and only then, when you have a special event to go to. The 6 Day Mini Makeover is NOT intended to be a WOL, at least according to the materials I received. Maybe that's not the same book you're talking about...?

As far as workout tips, the program allows you to customize your body blueprint with different shape cards for your upper, mid, and lower body. There are different sets for men and for women and each of the 3 areas has, like 5 or 6 cards. You pick the one for each area that looks the most like you currently (not in terms of weight, but in terms of where your pudge is), then you turn the 3 cards over to see what you might look like after you do the body sculpting workout. Then you select the set of pages that corresponds to what you need to do to get to your "new" body. There's no point in doing exercises that don't target the area you're trying to sculpt, he says. The program comes with a body resistance band with handles - you secure it through a closed door and workout twice a week for 15-18 minutes, depending on which shaping moves you're doing. I know 15-18 minutes doesn't seem like a lot - especially for me, because I've been doing the Firm on and off for years! - but I was astonished at how deeply I felt the exercises, doing them slowly with continued resistance and focusing on perfect form. The program comes with a videotape that shows every single move, correctly demonstrated and explained - you obviously only need to watch the moves that are specific to your body. You're also supposed to add 45 to 60 minutes of cardio in your fat-burning zone - he recommends rhythmic walking - but I modify my Firm tapes to keep my heart rate from shooting up out of the fat burning range.

As for "junk science," well, I don't know. Could be, I suppose. But it's working for me so far and I think we all know of people who seem to be able to stay slim eating foods that would make others pack on the weight. I imagine it's probably "different strokes for different folks." As with anything, YMMV. If there was one WOE that worked for everybody, we'd all do it!

Michelle
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 14:51

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Michelle,

I am going to do some more reading on the web-site you gave us because I do think it is interesting.
Dont let anyone put you down for trying this expecially because it is working for you.
I find that there are allot of people that really just dont want people to reach there positive goals.........Sorry people but Atkins is not the only diet plan that works.

Keep us up to date!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 15:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Very interesting! I came up as type B. The things is, I'm reasonably content with how I'm eating and losing on Atkins, so I'd hate to mess with it. Do you think it would be worth it just for the exercise stuff, if you keep your eating the same, or do you think the "magic" really is related to the food changes you are making?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 16:17
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
As far as workout tips, the program allows you to customize your body blueprint with different shape cards for your upper, mid, and lower body. There are different sets for men and for women and each of the 3 areas has, like 5 or 6 cards. You pick the one for each area that looks the most like you currently (not in terms of weight, but in terms of where your pudge is), then you turn the 3 cards over to see what you might look like after you do the body sculpting workout. Then you select the set of pages that corresponds to what you need to do to get to your "new" body. There's no point in doing exercises that don't target the area you're trying to sculpt, he says. The program comes with a body resistance band with handles - you secure it through a closed door and workout twice a week for 15-18 minutes, depending on which shaping moves you're doing. I know 15-18 minutes doesn't seem like a lot - especially for me, because I've been doing the Firm on and off for years! - but I was astonished at how deeply I felt the exercises, doing them slowly with continued resistance and focusing on perfect form. The program comes with a videotape that shows every single move, correctly demonstrated and explained - you obviously only need to watch the moves that are specific to your body. You're also supposed to add 45 to 60 minutes of cardio in your fat-burning zone - he recommends rhythmic walking - but I modify my Firm tapes to keep my heart rate from shooting up out of the fat burning range.

Yeah! That's the stuff I was hoping the book would include. I've seen him show busy moms on Extreme Makeover really quick work outs they can do without a lot of equipment. Maybe I'll have to get the entire program so I can get that info.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 21:14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaniels
Very interesting! I came up as type B. The things is, I'm reasonably content with how I'm eating and losing on Atkins, so I'd hate to mess with it. Do you think it would be worth it just for the exercise stuff, if you keep your eating the same, or do you think the "magic" really is related to the food changes you are making?

DDaniels, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Remember, I was in a four-month stall. So I needed something different to get moving again. If you're happy with what you're doing, then don't change. But you might want to tuck this away if you ever do stall out before reaching your goal. Then you might want to reconsider whether it's right for you.

But what an interesting question you raise: is the "magic" the food or the exercise stuff? Hmn. I think, in my case, at least, it's the food plan. I have been doing the Firm workouts since I started the LC WOL November 1, 2004. So I don't think the changes in the exercise portion have done anything yet. Ask me again in a few months. If my upper arms are sculpted and not just blobs hanging off my shoulders, I'll let you know. When I get to my goal, I'll probably ease back to adding a little more sodium, an occasional dessert, stuff like that, and see if the weight stays off.

For dinner tonight, I made a cumin-chili powder-egg white crusted grilled chicken breast on top of baby spinach. Then I made a little pico de gallo with some fresh diced tomato, diced onion, cilantro, and lime juice and put that on top of the chicken. Then I had 1/2 cup of jasmine rice and 1 cup of Brussels sprouts. Dee-lish! Believe it or not, I'm starting to adjust to the lack of sodium. People say that you begin to taste again the natural flavor of food and that seems to be true. (Still wish I'd had my sprouts with butter and salt, though!

HTH, Michelle
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-20-05, 06:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Thanks for the sharing the info. I'm glad you found something that has helped you break your stall. Keep us updated on your progress!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 09:44
Experimenter

BF:

Looking this over a little more, it looks a lot like a PSMF (protein sparing modified fast). I'm getting a book by Lyle McDonald that goes into that. That coupled with the lack of dietary sodium could account for some pretty rapid weight loss.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 00:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/238/200 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress:

i was on the thurmond plan a few months back and i lost about 15 pds..i wasnt on it 4 long though..the plan is a good one, but it was very hard for me to stick to..i found the food so bland..and i have had weight loss surgery, so the chicken breast tends to give me a problem, but i did love eating my yams..that was my favorite thing with splenda...u also have to cook ur food way in advace because u have to eat every 2-3 hrs..and u may need to pack ur mini meal with you when you out and about..i was buyng yams and chicken breast by the boat load..and i would have to cook all of it in advance...and it became a bit expensive for me as well...but u will lose weight..and it seems to be a great way of eating...just inconvient for me...
good luck to you..u are doing great thus far on it!