Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 08:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/110.5/110 Female 64in
BF:15%
Progress: 99%
Default 4/8/05: Meat and Eggs to Goal

Day One

CW: 112.0

I'm 2 lbs away from my goal weight and hoping to lose the last 2 within the next couple of weeks. I haven't lost in almost a month now and am hoping to pare these lbs off with a meat and eggs crasher. I've done this before and been quite successful. If anyone wants to join me, feel free to! I'll be doing low calorie and low carbohydrate for the next couple of days- hopefully lasting at least through 4/11. Then I will up my calories first, followed by the carbs and ease back into induction.

***If you're a hater go away***

Planned intake:
10:30 AM:
1 Atkins Dieter's Advantage Pill
1 Atkins Accel

11:00 AM:
35 minutes cardio (400 calories burned)

12:00 PM:
2 Dieter's Advantage
1 Accel

1:00 PM:
1 Atkins Vitamin
2 Atkins Essential Oils
1 Egg, fried w/o Mayo

2:00 PM-5:00 PM
1 Nalgene Bottle filled with water
1 Diet Rite

5:00 PM
1 Atkins Accel
2 Atkins Dieter's Advantage

6:00 PM
1 Atkins Vitamin
2 Atkins Essential Oils
1 Diet Rite
3 oz of chicken breast
1 egg

6:00 PM- 10:00 PM
Water Water Water

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 10:41

Stats: 232/137/150 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

u eat like nothing....wow i dont know how you have any energy. Having been in a similar situation, doing induction all the way to goal, i found that it really sucks because you're at goal and it'll still be a while going through OWL and the other phases. Since being at your goal weight it's harder to stay motivated to going through owl correctly and not just skipping to pre-maintainence.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 16:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

TheProf83, I know that you don't want to hear this, but since this board is here to promote healthy weight loss, I would be remiss in my duties as moderator to not point out that 2 eggs and 3 oz. of chicken come to less than 350 calories, 37 grams of protein and comes nowhere near meeting your nutritional or protein requirements. I know that you feel that you have to eat very low cal to lose weight, but you are seriously wrecking your metabolism with what you are doing. Also, shorting your body on protein means that whatever loss you do see will be a good proportion of lean body mass (less muscle means lower metabolism again).
The longer or more often you do this, the lower your maintainence calorie level will be. Please be kind to your body. After all, we only get one...it's a good idea to treat it well.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-08-05, 19:11
Registered Member

too late- my metabolism is shot. i can't lose an ounce on even 350 calories per day. and i work out. i don't know how to fix it by eating more. you'd think i'd have starved to death by now, but no.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 08:44

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jen,

I dont totally agree with Lisa,if you are on this (diet ) of yours for a couple of days you will be ok.I am small too and i have done some fasting even.You must must must drink a ton of water if you are doing this.....OK?

#6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 09:03
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygirl
Hi Jen,

I dont totally agree with Lisa,if you are on this (diet ) of yours for a couple of days you will be ok.I am small too and i have done some fasting even.You must must must drink a ton of water if you are doing this.....OK?

Cygirl, please reread what Lisa actually said. Eating only 350 kcalories is not nearly enough for a 5'4 women, and can do nothing but cause harm.

Low carbing is a healthy way of eating. It is not about fasts or undereating in order to lose "just one more pound." The best possible thing you (both) can do for yourself is to eat approx 10 times your weight in kcals. If you do not lose while eating this much, it is because your body has reached it's "set point," ie the point at which further weight loss becomes almost impossible.

As for fasting, unless it is done for religious reasons, it too can only be harmful.

See what Go Ask Alice says about fasting:

Dear Alice,

Is it really true that fasting can help purge the body of toxins? Is fasting safe? I find all kinds of contradictory information about this on the web.

Thanks for your help.

Sincerely, Just Wondering

Dear Just Wondering,

To some people, it seems logical that fasting, or not eating, helps the body to rid itself of harmful substances, including the toxins you mention. People fast in various ways and for various reasons: fasts can be limited to only juice, water, or herbal tea, for example, and may be done for religious, political, or health reasons, to name just a few. Fasts are often fads, or part of a "health regimen" or a week away "healing" program. Although many people can withstand one day of fasting, as in some religious practices, extended periods may prove unsafe for most others. Fasting is highly unwise for people with eating disorders or impaired immune systems. It is also not recommended for elderly persons, children, or pregnant women. The "health" part of fasting is more myth than fact. In fact, denying yourself nutrients can actually work against you.

To help understand why, a lot can be learned from taking a moment to investigate the body's own detoxification process. The human body is quite ingenious. It was designed to have two major pathways to eliminate harmful substances. First are the immune tissues of the intestinal tract, and second are the enzymes of the liver. Did you know that the intestinal tract generates about 70 percent of our antibodies? These little heroes attach themselves to many of the bacteria, toxins, and viruses that enter our bodies, inactivate them, and prevent many from being absorbed, helping to protect us against infection and illness.

Harmful substances that slip by the intestinal detoxification system are delivered to the liver. This second pathway has two detoxification phases: (1) various transformations occur preventing the perilous substances from creating harm to our bodies; (2) another series of reactions occur, causing these substances to become less toxic. They are then excreted from the body in urine and feces.

So, how does fasting influence the body's detoxification processes? Our nutritional status affects the body's ability to manufacture antibodies and enzymes, and the liver's ability to detoxify. Fasting deprives the body of the raw materials — sufficient calories, proteins, and certain vitamins and minerals — needed to make antibodies and enzymes. Eating keeps our immune system strong.

In addition, specific phytochemicals (naturally occurring plant chemicals in vegetables and fruits) assist in the detoxification pathways, including the following examples:

Indoles, found in broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and other cruciferous (cabbage family) vegetables, are helpful in the liver's first phase.

The liver's second phase is enhanced by isothiocyanates and dithiolthiones, also found in cruciferous vegetables, and by limonoids, found in citrus fruits. These phytochemicals help block carcinogens from damaging our cells' DNA (thereby protecting us against cancer). Compounds in garlic, onions, shallots, leeks, and the spice cumin also enhance phase two of the liver's detoxification system.

So, fasting does not boost the body's disposal system, or cleanse your body in a healthy way. Fasting denies you all the nutrients you need in a day to stay healthy!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 09:36
Registered Member

Default not pms-ing anymore, probably why i make sense now

hey-
i've decided to have a couple of veggies each day. i did this fast for one day and didn't even get teh scale to budge...that makes me think i'm really plateaued and am overreacting to it in the worst way. a four day fast isn't going to break a four week plateau- not without wrecking my metabolism even more than it even is wrecked. i have clearly had eating disordered ways in the past and am mostly disappointed because i haven't had much luck with recent weeks, AND because i didn't fit into the dress i want to wear to my college graduation. i'm just frustrated and don't want to be abad influence on everyone else.

that said, idon't think that intake has so much to do with height as it does with weight. given the past ed related behavior, i'm pretty knowledgeable about this stuff, and it has to do with weight. body-mass-index is somewhat determined by height, so at 5'4" and 112 I have a BMI of somewhere around 19. what you eat has to do more with this ratio than with anything else.

i would be open to lots of suggestions from people who are successfully at goal or nutritionally aware as to how to best increase my intake slowly without wrecking my metabolism while still losing these last couple of pounds. that's always the caveat with me:i refuse to gain weight...i mean, i've worked so hard to lose it so that makes some degree of sense at least.

so, if anyone has a way of doing this please please let me know.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-11-05, 21:14

BF:

Rosebud,

I have done fasting,both juice and water and let me tell you it does clean you out. I am not saying long term but most of us could go with not eating for a couple of days.You feel such peace and overwelming energy if you do the fast properly.I learned many things from a East indian friend of mine who fasts lots and is in great shape.It is not something to jump into....it is hard too but if you do some meditating and some nice walks when you are fasting you will get so much out of it you wont beleive it.It clears your head and your body and hopfully you can do it in a nice peacefull place on your own is best.....
please dont knock it till you try.I AM NOT saying this is for everyone.Dont do it if you dont know what you are doing.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-09-05, 08:56

Plan: 00000000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 0000
BF:
Progress: 38%

Honestly, two pounds is nothing. If you do manage to get there, I don't even think the loss will be noticeable. I'm sorry sweetie, but I've been in the exact same place you are, and I was horribly disappointed when I finally got goal after starving myself. It didn't pay off at all.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 09:52
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Hiya, you say you wish to get your metabolism going again......let me tell you this is not the way to do it. if you want to toally KILL your metabolism then carry on this way, if you want to lose those last 2lbs (and lets face it, what ARE 2lbs amongst friends really?) then keep on going on a HEALTHY LC way of life. What does it matter if you don't lose them for another 6 months???? You are so close to goal that it's seriously NOT worth mucking up your already hardly existant metabolism. The point of LCing is to mantain a healthy life, not kill yourself by starving.....if you wanna go that way why not just stop eating altogether.

I'm sorry, but that's just the way I see it.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-18-05, 14:39
Registered Member

Yeah, i'm obviously not updating this thread for a reason.
I think I'm gonna go kill myself by starving guys.
I'll see y'all in the pro-anorexia forum *rolls eyes*
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 07:54
Staying Put

Plan: Atkins/CarbCycling
Stats: 299/252/180 Female 69"
BF:
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf83
Yeah, i'm obviously not updating this thread for a reason.
I think I'm gonna go kill myself by starving guys.
I'll see y'all in the pro-anorexia forum *rolls eyes*

Listen, if I offended you then I am sory, BUT the fact is you are one single pound away from goal....ONE POUND. You make that sound like your life depends on it, you are seemingly (and I'm sorry if it's not the case) but paranoid about one pound - so much so that you are willing to do anything to get it to come off.

Just think of those of us who are 80 odd pounds away....some of us are completely stalled out too and seemingly trying to do everything we can do to drop more lbs but nothings working.

My point to you initially was that you are trying extreme measures to lose a lb.
Why? If you stick to a healthy LC plan then eventually it WILL come off.

I really didn't mean to offend you, but in the whole scheme of things is 1lb really enough to get so het up over?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 09:55
Registered Member

i'm not one pound away, i'm now officially 5 because i keep gaining
i used to be 50 lbs away too and now i'm stuck for a year on and off
i understand your frustrations, but one day you'll be at goal and want that last pound just to spite yourself, and you won't feel good until you get it. its reciprocal, you have to try to understand other people's frustrations too.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-20-05, 18:50

BF:

I agree with you Jen,

You have worked really hard to get all that weight off and now it is a matter of principle.!!

You go girl and dont let them get you down if they say negative things or are jealous.

I totally see your point.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-19-05, 16:36
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 310/240/210 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Enlightening...LOL>