Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 13:41

Plan: combination
Stats: 231/180/113
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default wow - what a great forum!

Hi everyone...
My name is Robin and I just found this site by accident. I am in a deep state of frustration because I am so sick that I'm unable to work. I have 4 kids (3 of them teens) and so much to live for. I just finished reading 3 books I'm sure you're all familiar with - The Yeast Connection, The Missing Diagnosis, and The Yeast Syndrome. I AM THE STAR IN ALL OF THOSE BOOKS!!!

Once a healthy, slim, active me has gradually (over 17 years) lost my ability to function, one body system at a time. I've always had a "gut" feeling it was caused by antibiotic use 17 years ago because that's when all the problems started. (I was in my late 20's then.) Over time, and as new unbearable symptoms developed, I was diagnosed with cystitis, interstitial cystitis, endometriosis, asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, stomach ulcer, reflux esophagitis and Barrett's esophagus, and last but far from least - Crohn's disease. Plus, I was never able to conceive a child (my 4 kids are adopted) and, in the past 5 years, I've gained over 100 lbs!!!

With each diagnosis, doctors told me that my immune system was fighting my own body and there was nothing they could do. With the most devastating ailment by far (the crohn's) they also told me it would progress and that the foods I eat were not a factor. I couldn't go anywhere or do anything because I was "chained" to my toilet and completely drained of any energy - always feeling on the verge of collapse. I can't work ... can't collect disability because none of these conditions is officially labelled a disability ... and no one believes I'm ill because I "don't look sick." (i.e. with crohn's you're supposed to be emaciated - not obese.) Besides, I just don't feel like describing the diarrhea problem to everyone. I've lost friends and family and live in a lonely "hell."

But then I discovered the yeast infestation possibility and that gave me so much hope. Unfortunately, I cannot find a doctor close by who recognizes such an ailment - let alone treat it. So I've taken matters into my own hands for the past 5 months (going on 6) by doing low-carb dieting and supplementing with Primal Defense. I'm up to 11 PD's per day. In this time, 50 lbs. dropped off me. But the problem is, the diarrhea and the urgency are still with me. And I now have extreme fatigue and rapid pulse (between 100 and 107.) I'm experiencing worse panic attacks than ever and I feel like I can't breathe - like something is choking my throat, especially when I lie down to go to sleep. Are these symptoms of die-off and do you think die-off can last this long if I've actually been having a yeast overgrowth for 17 years? Perhaps I have more yeast because of the excess weight? Please keep me inspired because I'm about to quit the low-carb and PD's any minute because I'm not sure if the medical community is right and the yeast syndrome is pure quackery.

-Robin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 16:41
Run Spot, run!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Talking Hi Robin

I'm certainly not well-versed in the many syndromes you describe, but I know of many people on the board who have reported the outright resolution or significant reduction in the severity of numerous conditions (widely recognized or otherwise) through faithful LC-ing that the mainstream medical community ignored or declared untreatable .

As for quackery, it wasn't long ago that Dr. Atkins was labelled a "quack" - sometimes pioneers have to wait awhile for recognition. That may very well be the case with doctors who recognize the possibility of candida overgrowth causing significant health problems too...there are "candida versions" of some LC-plans, so someone recognizes it as a reality .

Here on the forum, you might be helped by a visit to the Candida and IBS subforums. I even recall some positive symptom reductions in members with Crohn's.

Also, do you see that globe & magnifying glass icon in the upper right hand corner of your screen? That's our forum search engine and by using that feature you'll find threads of interest and maybe even members who have the same health issues that you have.

I hope you find what you are seeking here, and welcome!

Lisa

Last edited by lperk002 : Thu, May-29-03 at 16:43.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/159/138
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hi...........
My mom & sister also have some of the autoimmune diseases you have as well as others including Crones so I know how rough it can be. I was also diagnosed with IBS and hietal hernia and had chronic fatigue syndrome. Whatta mess.

I was reading somewhere recently where someone else with Crones said they read a book called "Life without Bread: How a Low Carbohydrate Diet can Save your Life" by Christian Allan & Wolfgang Lutz. I havent read it myself but I did bookmark it on Amazon.com for a future purchase for my mom.
I figured $11.87 isnt much for some info that might save someones life. I've lost one friend to Crones, I dont want to lose any more. It may have alot of the same information that you already have read, but then again it may be more what you're looking for. Check it out on Amazon.com. Usually they have several pages online for you to see if it might be what you're looking for.
Good luck & God bless.
KKaye

Quote:
Keep on Keeping On & Dont Ever Stop
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-29-03, 20:16

Plan: combination
Stats: 231/180/113
BF:
Progress: 43%

Great ... thank you so much. I'm going to go check out those sub-forums about the candida. I'm really desperate to find answers to my questions regarding the die-off. LC dieting is very easy for me because it's the way I've always loved to eat. It's too bad I fell for all the hype about the food pyramid and ate all those grains, thinking I was doing my body a favor. So if, over time, LC dieting heals my body, the world won't be able to stop me!!! (I have 17 years of my life to make up.)

And Lisa ... I noticed you're from Williamsburg - I love Williamsburg. I just left Richmond 2 years ago (after 20 years) to come home to my beautiful Cape Cod, Mass. But I miss my little weekend excursions to Wmsbg.
-Robin