Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-06, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 177/162/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 56%
Default L-Carnitine 4 week results

This is my personal experience with L-Carnitine for the past 4 weeks. I did not experience any ridiculos water gain(4-5 lb) through out my TOM and so far I am ahead in weight loss from the past 2 months. Last month I lost 9.0 lbs and as of today my weight loss is 11.0 lbs.

I am very happy with the results of L-Carnitine. This is in addition to following Atkins to the T. As much water as I possibly can drink, eating right and not cheating. Just wanted to update. Good luck to everyone! I hope everyone is as lucky as I've been.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 12:16
Registered Member

Stats: 234/218/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 22%

What time od day did you take it? How many mgs.? And did you take it with a meal or on an empty stomach? I hear conflicting advise on these issues is why I'm asking, because I'm going to listen to someone whom it actually works for!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-03-06, 17:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droyle150
What time of day did you take it? How many mgs.? And did you take it with a meal or on an empty stomach? I hear conflicting advise on these issues is why I'm asking, because I'm going to listen to someone whom it actually works for!

I take all of my supplements in the morning. The L-Carnitine 1500 mg. Depends how my day is going sometimes it might be on an empty or full stomach. I can relate to the conflicting advise.

Sweety it really all depends on how your body reacts to it. For you it might work taking them after a meal. I dont have much time and I hate pills so I take all of them at the same time in the AM.

They are a little expensive but for the results I got I think it is worth every penny to loose an extra 2 lbs a month if I have the same results next month. I'll keep updating this thread or you can shoot by my journal. Always looking for another buddy to talk to. Good luck if you decide to move forward with the L-Carnitine(Tartrate). By the way dont buy the Acetyl Carnitine. TTYL!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 09:01

Plan: Atkins- whole foods only!
Stats: 240/240/155 Female 1.74m
BF:56%/56%/25%
Progress: 0%

I had excellent results too. Lost 8lbs in one week after adding L-Carnitine & CoQ10. No idea how that happened but it did. I take 2000mg. 1000mg after breakfast and another 1000mg after supper. Should probably take it after lunch too, but I forget to take tablets during the day.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 09:36

BF:

Q: Does anyone know how to determine what dosage to take daily? Is it by current weight?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 10:26

Plan: Atkins- whole foods only!
Stats: 240/240/155 Female 1.74m
BF:56%/56%/25%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally731
Q: Does anyone know how to determine what dosage to take daily? Is it by current weight?

No idea Ally. However, Dr. Atkins recommended at least 1500mg per day. He also said that some people needed 5000mg daily! I guess it mainly depends on your resistance to weight loss and not so much your weight 2000mg works for me. I haven't tried a lower dosage and will stay on this dosage unless it stops working for me
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 16:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafferBabe
No idea Ally. However, Dr. Atkins recommended at least 1500mg per day. He also said that some people needed 5000mg daily! I guess it mainly depends on your resistance to weight loss and not so much your weight 2000mg works for me. I haven't tried a lower dosage and will stay on this dosage unless it stops working for me

Congrats SafferBabe!
How long have you been taking L-Carnitine? Did you see an increase of weight loss compared to previous months? I am glad other people are getting results with it. Keep in touch would love to hear future results. Stop by my journal anytime would really like to keep in touch. Good luck this month!!!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 16:58

Plan: vsg/low carb
Stats: 306/153/150 Female 5'6.5"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Ally731 & Safferbabe -

Wow, congrats to both of you for your improved weightloss. I just bought some today and will start taking it tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do.

Safferbabe - definately interested in your answers to Ally731's questions.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-06, 18:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogama
Ally731 & Safferbabe -

Wow, congrats to both of you for your improved weightloss. I just bought some today and will start taking it tomorrow. I'll let you know how I do.

Safferbabe - definately interested in your answers to Ally731's questions.

Thanks Yogama!
Good Luck! I hope you have awesome results as we did. Yes... please keep me updated.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-06-06, 21:28

BF:

Hey ya'll -

Well, I took my first dose of 2000mg yesterday and felt a little bit of an energy increase. Today, I took another 2000mg. Today I took 1000 at 7:30am and another 1000 at 10:30am because I was leaving the house and was going to be running errands.

WOW!! I ended up being gone for like 4 1/2 hours with a 30min break. My energy was through the roof!!!. I also took 2 drops of oil of oregano and 2T of coconut oil before I left. Normally I am all done in after about 2 hours because my lower back and hip joints start giving me trouble, but today I sat down for about half an hour and then I was good to go for another 2.

I have read in the coconut threads that oil of oregano can also give you energy. But I'm positive it was the l-carnitine that gave me so much energy.

Also, another thing I noticed...I usually have pain in my left hip
joint, like every day but yesterday and today it was much, much better. I had not heard of that being one of the benefits but I also havent done that much research. Let me know if you have heard of that.

Only time will tell about the weightloss, but I was so excited to have so much more energy I had to go ahead and post.

I'll keep you updated.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 08:33
Registered Member

Stats: 234/218/160 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 22%

I read somewhere that you shouldn't take the Acytel kind of L-Carnatine, does anyone know why? What is the difference?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 08:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by droyle150
I read somewhere that you shouldn't take the Acytel kind of L-Carnatine, does anyone know why? What is the difference?

Hi Droyle,

I dont remember why? If you read through the thread below you will find something there.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/misc.php...567+82985+85253
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 09:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Has anyone experienced insomnia after taking L-Carnitine? I wonder if it might be responsible for mine.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 09:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Nancy LC -
Has anyone experienced insomnia after taking L-Carnitine? I wonder if it might be responsible for mine.

Nancy - For me it hasnt but I take my second and last dose at lunch time. It does give me energy and I can see how if you take a dose late in the day it may keep you awake. How late are you taking your last dose?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-06, 10:34

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Anyone get a headache from L-Carnitine? (Just started a tablet form of the tartrate type, not a particularly huge dose.)