Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 21:45

Plan: The Atkins Diet, CAD and CALP
Stats: 260/242.1/235
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default New to the forum...

Hi. Since I started 'induction' last Friday (the 30th) I've been doing all my post under "Introductions" -- however, when I looked at this site, I knew it fit me to a T. I'm trying to lose between 120-140 pounds. Man, is it tough. I've tried just about everything, except Atkins (till now), without positive results...just an out of control roller coaster. My health has both been effected by my weight and has caused my weight to increase due to meds that I "was" on. I'm doing much better now. Since I started 'induction' I've been sleeping better, have more energy, and feel great -- yet, I'm a little discouraged. I guess I just want things to happen faster than they are. Its not that I haven't made any progress the last 7 days, I have...I've gone from 260 lbs. to a fluctuating 254-256 lbs. I've lost a total of one to two inches, and the things I mentioned above have happened. I have a wonderful support group, and I know in my heart things will turn out okay...I guess I'm just having a bout of negativity -- I want this so badly. Not for everyone else...just me. I know I'd feel better about myself and enjoy life more; I just need to be patient...something I've never been very good at. I guess its time I learned, huu?! Are there any tips/suggestions you can give me?? Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 22:19

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi! Welcome to your new home The only tip I can offer is to take a deep breath and slow down -- you're doing great!!!! We all want to lose five pounds a day, but that isn't going to happen.

I'm one of those who's started and stopped more diets than I have pounds to lose, and finally, at 53, I've realized that diets don't work. You need to find something you can live with for the rest of your life. Accepting that makes everything so much easier. The second "truth" to say over and over again like a mantra, "I'm going to be here in a year anyway. Do I want to be here thinner, or do I want to be here the way I am now?" Wouldn't it be great to weigh 50 pounds less, 75, 100? That's possible in a year. It's not possible in three months. (I just wish I'd figured this out when I was 23 )

I'd suggest reading through some journals. There's a really good mix here of people who decide to do low carb and, from one day, do it right and zip right through, and the rest of us, who stumble and groan and readjust along the way. I'd also suggest starting a journal of your own. Having to write down EVERY SINGLE BITE helps keep one honest.

You can do this!!!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 23:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

SAMTigress... WELCOME...

I imagine most all of us have been on the proverbial diet yo-yo our whole lives... causing all sorts of distress on our systems. Not to mention the emotional turmoil tyring to figure out why I can't 'diet'... well .. truly there are very few people who can diet. I think you will really like Atkins.. the first 2-3 days are pretty shakey.. and then after that.. assuming you 1) drink TONS of water 2) take quality supplements. 3) stick to the plan.. 4) toss in a little exercize ....you will start to melt away....

Welcome to your new piece of mind....relax and enjoy....

Ramona
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 08:16

BF:
Default Thanks for the feedback...I'm feeling better today.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. I knew this was the right group for me I'm feeling much better today. I think I just let things get to me yesterday. Three days of working your tail off in the yard (pretending to be a lumberjack) and not seeing a big change can do that to a person. I know something is happening though, because my clothes definitely feel different. I will definitely be following your advice. I've already started a personal journal on my PC and perhaps once I really get going I'll start one on the site -- I see theres a place for them -- plus I'm already turning into a water junky, so that's no problem. Thanks again -- its nice to hear advice from others who know exactly where I'm coming from.

Gotta run, its time for school and my son is waiting patiently -- go figure
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-01, 10:27

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

SAMTigress,
I'm right at the weight you are now, and I want to encourage you and say that this WOL (Way of Life) really does work! Over two years ago, I began low carbing, and lost 85 lbs (down to 235). I went off the low carb plan and gained back up to 260, which is where I started this time. I'll finish induction Monday. I've felt in this last two weeks just like you described - why isn't it coming off faster, etc., etc.

But then I looked at it and thought, "Now wait a minute. What other diet will have me losing at the rate of about 1/2 pound a DAY? Even 1 pound a week is worth it in the long run - that's 52 pounds a year! Within two years, you and I can be sleek, svelte, and slender. How many years have we spent tired, self-conscious, and discouraged?

Think of all the stuff in the end - shopping in the regular size section of the store, not worrying about fitting into a seat or breaking a lawn chair, being able to wear a slender dress or slacks....ahhhhhhhh.

Keep up the good work, hon, you're doing great!

Sh'ra
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 07:30

BF:
Cool I'm hanging in...

Thanks again, so much. Your encouragement and support is wonderful, heart-warming, and much needed. I'm already starting to feel good about myself. I still get discourage now and then and a bit self-conscious, but I know in the end this will all be a distant memory. I even feel lighter...

I won't know the updated truth till tomorrow, as my hubby has banned me from the scales -- only once every Sunday morning for an update...gotta love him

Thanks again and I'll let you know what I discover in the AM. Have a happy day!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 10:07

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Talking Welcome!!!

Hey SAMTigress!
I wanted to welcome you and encourage you. When I started this I was impatient also. But within 5 months I have lost 50 pounds. So if you keep plugging along the losses will add up! Just the fact that your clothes are feeling loser should tell you something. I had only lost 7 lbs. in the first month and a half. When I went to the doctor to check my weight I was discouraged because I thought the loss would be more, because I felt like I had lost 20!!! But I figured if I kept it up that in a year I would lose at least 60 lbs., and here I am at 5 months and have already lost 50....The fact that the clothes are getting looser is a sign of success. So keep going, it will only get better. Victoria
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-01, 12:51

BF:

Victoria, you inspire me. I want to hit 200, if possible, by mid-June (that will be basically 60 lbs in about 7 months), and I'm really hoping to do it. We're taking my mother-in-law to see some family in Colorado (and I'm going to see some of my family there as well), and I really want to travel "lighter"

I think it might be a little selfish; this particular sister-in-law used to be really ugly to me about my weight, thought in the past few years she has become much nicer to be around. But I'd still like to be smaller when I show up there.

Sh'ra
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 18:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hey Lessara!

Where is the area you mention. "What's in your fridge".. I have a hard time understanding this site sometimes.. would you mind directing me?

Ramona
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 08:52

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink

Hello Sh'ra,
I had already started a reply to you a couple of days ago...but I had to leave the computer because of some urgent request by my children. It happens quite often around here.

I think it's always nice to see the look on people's faces, when you are losing the weight. I know I had just gained and gained in the last 15 years. So I am looking forward to seeing my family that haven't seen me since the summer. My Mom is coming today. And I am really looking forward to her reaction. My oldest daughter just told me last night that she had been looking at pictures from before and then realized how much I had lost. She sees me everyday, so she's noticed but it's been gradual...But when looking at pictures from the summer, she realized what a change it's really been.

I think looking forward to these things, help us keep focused and strong. This summer will be alot nicer because you will be lighter and feel so much better...good to look forward. Victoria
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 13:36

BF:

Victoria,
Hey, don't worry about slow responses - I haven't even been online since Friday, though I'm finding I do miss this board when I'm not online

I do like to see the looks on folks' faces. After I lost from 320, I saw a friend I hadn't seen in awhile, and it was nice to hear, "Wow, you look really great!" It's just nice when people notice. Of course, depending on how they say it, sometimes you wanna say, "what did I look like before, chopped liver?" But hey, I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt.

Sh'ra
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-17-01, 15:34

BF:
Smile You hit it on the nail Sh'ra

I agree with you Sh'ra in how others respond --

Its amazing the way some people will respond/reply to someone when their weight changes, especially when they haven't seen you in a while. Sometimes, you have to take a step back and say to yourself, "They mean it in a nice way -- just smile."