Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 16:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 7%

Cynthia,

I use the TV too!!! When I do my strength training with free weights. I have this habit of watching what I am doing--which changes the position of the body. So I watch TV and thus keep my eyes straight ahead and my posture correct, instead of trying to see what I'm doing. It also keeps me from being sooo bored.

Lately though I haven't done much exercise. It seems that I stop and start with the exercise as I once did with LC eating

Andy, that is a pretty interesting point of view--especially as I was just thinking that I might see more downward movement of the scale or the pants size if I'd just move my lazy butt a little more

I'm not interested in being an exercise dynamo That's just not me. But I would like to be able to walk more than 10 minutes without being tired, and I like being able to reach down and touch my toes.

How much exercise to do is definitely a personal choice. I'm just searching for my balance with it.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Dec-04-01, 16:41

Plan: Predominantly Atkins
Stats: 320/260/145
BF:
Progress: 34%

Kezza,
Yes, hot humid weather makes a HUGE difference when walking. I live in Missouri, USA, and in the winter it is fine to exercise and move around, and enjoyable (though this winter hasn't even seemed to start yet - it's 70 degrees Farenheit today, when usually this time of year is cold - around 0 - 5 celsius)

But in summer, the humidity here is awful, and the heat can rise up to over 100% Farenheit (I don' t have the conversions to tell you what in C, but I imagine you're used to the same types of temps in Brisbane )

In the summer, when I walk out of my house or office, the heat and humidity nearly take my breath away - you just can't breathe right in that kind of atmosphere.

Guess we'll just have to be sedentary

Sh'ra
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-01, 07:42

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default disguise exercise as living

Hi Sh'ra,
Great to hear that other people understand about humidity. It is like walking into a steamed up bathroom sometimes. I'm sure their are even more humid places to live than Brisbane and Missouri! Imagine that?!ARGHH!

This summer school holidays (which will start soon) I have lots of renovating inside the house to do and gardening outside. If I paint inside during the day and garden outside in the cool of the evenings, I'll get lots of exercise in and it won't be so awful. (I usually decorate on school holidays).
Maybe that is the secret for us non-exercisers- disguise exercise as living and we will do it.
see ya,
kezza
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-01, 10:58

BF:

Kezza,

Could you imagine living in a sweltering tropical forest??? Urgh!!!

That's what I tend to do - try to turn house cleaning into exercise, or dance around while I'm doing it. I don't garden much, though, due to the humidity, but my husband does. I pick 'em, he plants 'em

Sh'ra
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Dec-08-01, 06:10

Plan: CALP
Stats: 286.65/254.3/165
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default moving classrooms is good exercise!!

Sh'ra, I can imagine what it would be like to live in a tropical forest!! NOT FOR ME !

I have been trying to do that disguise exercise as living thing and it seems to be working.

Yesterday I spent 2 and a half hours moving things out one my classroom storeroom to the one next door. (Moving classroom time at my school). Lots of bending, lifting, stretching and I felt tired but really pleased with my effort.

Today I went for a big swim with my children. Brisbane has a lovely park on the banks of the river, right in the centre of town. And in the middle of the park is a huge landscaped public pool, even a beach!! and quite a few acres of tropical gardens.
After the swim....or wrestle...(you know what children are like in water)...we went for a long stroll around the park.

This kind of exercise is what I like to do. I just can't stick with repetitive exercise like walking machines, step and rowing machines or any 'gym ' based stuff.
But I know some of you love it!
Viva la difference!
seeya
kezza
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-01, 10:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

I thought I knew humidity ... then I moved to Texas -- the Gulf coast! Ugh! This week it's been raining ... colder today (50's), but earlier this week it was in the mid to upper seventies and so humid! That's why I decided to excercise at Curves for Women ... it's an air-conditioned gym ... and I can get out of that nasty humidity.

And another thing that goes with the heat and humidity -- bugs! Lots and lots of mosquitos! It just feels wrong when I spray myself with bug spray before putting up the outside Christmas decorations!

I was raised in New York ... so I'm really not used to this.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-01, 17:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%

I'm with you fire. I used to be very athletic my whole life until I hit about 28. Then I just quit. I have no motivation. I tried a while back (about a month) and was getting into a little routine, but it made me too hungry. For now I am eating the way that I'm supposed to, and an exercise program will be my ace in the whole when I hit a plateau.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-20-01, 14:22

BF:

**LOL** Wendy - I felt the same way when I was visiting my uncle in Austin (we also spent a little time at the beach - both North and South Padre), and it feld WIERD to be slapping at bugs when the holidays were upon us. Here in Missouri, it gets sweltering and humid in the summer, but at least in winter the bugs go away. Right now, we've been having warmer-than average temps (last year this time we had 1 1/2 feet of snow on the ground), but it's starting to get chilly. I'm liking it, though I prefer warm weather.

I'm parking further away from my office now, to get more walking in. That's helping somewhat with exercise. Been draggy sick though, so haven't done much else.

Sh'ra