Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 03:26

Plan: Dr. Richard Bernstein
Stats: 364/320/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 21%
Thumbs up For once it's gonna be all about me!

Today I begin my journey the low carb way. Six months ago my A1C was 7. Last week 11.2! I had been following the ADA nutritional guidelines. I'm not impressed! My Dr. set me up with a glucose monitor. My first reading 387! I got online and purchased the e-book The Diabetes Diet by Dr. Richard Bernstein. I followed the plan as best I could with what I had available. Today my AM blood sugar (which always tends to be high) was 145. I now have a store of supplies and starting today can actually fully embrace the program. I found inspiration from the before and after posts and look forward to gaining more from my fellow low carbers.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-25-11, 03:47
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:

I wish you every success!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 22:44

BF:

Thanks MisterE. I read some of threads. Seems we move about the same. I had to stop working though as no one could go to the bathroom for me, and I wasn't getting full if they ate my lunch even though many were willing.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-27-11, 22:55

BF:

Today was not a good migraine day. It's almost midnight, and i've eaten once about 3 pm. Now I'm waking up and I think I'll be able to hold down some food. On days like this I miss TOM (took some huge hints to figure out who TOM was as he hasn't visited since I was 29 coinsidently when the daily migraines began).
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 21:58

BF:

Breakfast: 2sausage patties, 3 eggs
snack: 1 cup chia jello
Lunch: hamburger, cauliflour with cheese sauce
snack pork rinds
dinner: pork roast, more cauliflour

Morning BG 126
Lunch 91
Afternoon 91
Evening 116
I really need to start journaling on a daily basis for accountability. Last week was a disaster what with eating out and irresistable halloween candy, but I'm refocused, and more determined than ever to regain my health. On that note I talked with my NP today and she is very impressed with the downword spiral of my BG numbers. She does worry though that I will become bored with the limited choices on Atkins. At least she didn't say it was a bad choice (she said she lost 10lbs. on it years ago). I am grateful for that!

Last edited by kidzma : Thu, Nov-03-11 at 05:12.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 22:19

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

What limited choices? Almost unlimited meat and seafood choices, the allowed veggies take over two pages in the book, even include some non-sweet fruits like tomatoes and avocados. Some dairy in the form of cream and a little cheese, and after two weeks, an even broader and more varied list of choices. I get so tired of people complaining about limited choices. The main limits are ones own imagination and ones unwillingness to try new foods.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 23:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 279.2/234/140 Female 5'2''
BF:decreasing
Progress: 32%

I agree with Glenda! The recipe forum here is really great for expanding your choices. gtreat job on getting the bs down so quickly.

Donna
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 02:32

BF:

I agree, but at least she didn't bash the whole WOE and she did say it was years ago that she tried Atkins. There are lots of sites with low carb recipes. I also like to come up with my own. Donna thanks for the comment on my BS. My mom was diabetic. Both of her legs were amputated, she could barely see and spent several years spending 3 days a week connected to a kidney dialysis machine. I do not want to go down that path. I can't describe how betrayed I felt following those ADA guidelines.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 07:23

Stats: 398.0/374.4/170 Female 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 10%

Limited choices?

Search for candiflip-she is amazing recipes that are so yummy and fairly easy to make. There are so many others on here-I just read journals and get the recipes

The first few weeks are the hardest, but you are worth it. I didnt eat a single lick of halloween candy. I was very aware of the fact that there were snickers, milky ways, etc right there for me to pick at. But, it is NOT worth it. I havent had sugar since June 6th and Im goign to keep it that way.

Congrats on your glucose levels. They will get even better as you get more into this way of eating.

Start a journal. There are FABULOUS people on here who can help support you and offer great advice (and recipes!)
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 09:01

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I am so glad that you have discovered low-carbing, and I wish you every success.

It is really hard to get through special occasions without going off track, but with a bit of forward planning, you can ease the way a bit - e.g. buying novelty gifts instead of candy for Halloween, and spending more time decorating the house, so it becomes less about sweet stuff and more about atmosphere.

With Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year coming up, maybe you could plan ahead how you'll manage those more successfully. I've started a forum thread asking people to post good ideas for keeping on track over the festive period.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...178#post8454178

I hope that some of the suggestions will help you to have a really great Thanksgiving and Christmas while not sabotaging your health.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Thu, Nov-03-11 at 09:34.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 21:31

Quote:
Donna thanks for the comment on my BS. My mom was diabetic. Both of her legs were amputated, she could barely see and spent several years spending 3 days a week connected to a kidney dialysis machine. I do not want to go down that path.

Can absolutely relate to this. My dad was an amputee patient also, losing toes on both feet and evetually his left leg below the knee in his fifties. Died at 62 of complications from diabetes and liver disease. I also didn't want to go down that path. Best wishes!

Donna
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 12:41

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

kidzma, the ADA guidelines will KILL YOU. Dr. Bernstein is the absolute saviour of diabetics, and you will do very well if you follow his recommendations. My son is T1 diabetic, and I credit Dr. Bernstein with saving his life. The idiotic guidelines from the "authoritay" are just that...idiotic. Sacrificing carbs is NOTHING compared to sacrificing your health. Wecome, and happy eating!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-14-11, 23:57

BF:

Today I got the results from my A1C bloodwork. 3 months ago it was 11.2 today it is 6.0. I am so pleased! Now I seriously need to crack down on my percentages and get a higher ratio of fat to protein and carbs. Hellp me please.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-11, 05:47

Great job Kidzma! You're not here much. Try posting more often and giving us your meals, so we can see what you can add to you diet or change. It's a great feeling to know you're going in the right direction. My AIC took a considerable drop also this year and I just came off my metformin. Fasting this am was 92. Yeah!!!!!!!! Yeah for low carb!!!!

Donna
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-15-11, 22:10

BF:

Hi Donna, my name is Deb. I have a serious CRS problem, except mine isn't a joke. Maybe you could help me with posting as I seem to spend a lot of time trying to find this area, and when I finally do I can't remember how I got here. My laptop should be back this weekend and maybe it will be easier from that then my nook. Gosh I sure hope so! I come here several times a day and read a lot of posts. I have come to the conclusion that I am eating to much protein and not nearly enough fat as I am maintaining my weight. Obviously I'm doing good on the carbs, but I am still very confused on several issues, and could really use the guidence of those in the know. Thanks!