Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 00:07
Slowly I turn

Plan: Atkins restart 3-17-10
Stats: 195.5/170.6/135 Female 5'5
BF:48%/37%/20%
Progress: 41%
Smile Hello, let me introduce myself!

Hi, my name is Helen, I live on Long Island with my husband Al. I'm a SAHM to my 14 month old triplets. That, alone, should have made me lose weight, instead, I've gained due to quick grabs of carb food. So here I am. I was able to cut back on junk and exercised every day and I lost 7 lbs before starting LC but it took two and a half months to do that. That just didn't seem like it was working. I'm a newbie to LC. I started this diet on March 18th, 10 days ago. I've lost three lbs. I'm disappointed that I have not had a larger weight loss my first week BUT I know I have lost some inches and I will "weight" until the end of two weeks to check my measurements. I cannot help but go on the scale everyday...scale junkie I am. And, unfortunately, the scale sets the mood for the day. I am in ketosis which I'm happy about and I am going to give this way of life some time. So I have made some progress and I am NOT GIVING UP! I think that I need to drink more water.....I think that is a big problem. I had two or three days of headaches.....with thirst...so I think that I was dehydrated. I need to lose weight to keep up with my children, better my health and I don't want to be the fat mommy at kindergarten. I need all the support I can get and just by being here, I've got help already! I'm looking forward to making new friends. Thanks for listening.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 00:39

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I think that this woe is the most difficult in the first few weeks because we expect so much in terms of weightloss. When I began this, it was solely for the purpose of losing weight. When I began reading DANDR and the Atkins website, I realized that this might help me in more ways than just weightloss. I no longer feel symptoms of hypoglycemia...no more migraines, itchy skin, shakiness and insatiable hunger. I am no longer anemic. I have lost about 26 lbs. ( give or take ) but more importantly, I have had an exemplary lipid profile. Now what if I began eating this way just to rid myself of the headaches and then I experienced the other things. What a miracle diet this would be! So remember, this is a journey. Don't give too much credit to the scale.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 08:42

Plan: Low Carb - My Way!
Stats: 261/177/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 62%

Hi Helen!

Welcome! I hope you love it here as much as I do!

About the scale.. I moved mine to the garage. It has really helped the constant weighing. The urge to weigh in first thing in the morning is gone and I'm certainly not going to run butt naked to the garage!

Pam
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 09:40
Slowly I turn

Default moving the scale

That is a great idea moving it to the garage......lol I don't think I'm ready to do that yet.....I'll have to go through some type of step program...lol.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 11:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/236/180 Female 70"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default scale junky too!

Hi Helen.......welcome to the low carb forum! I have found excellent support here and I am sure you will too. You must have your hands full with triplets!
I too have become addicted to the scale, luckily mine has been showing a small loss everyday. I can see if that wasn't happening that it could be upsetting! So, I may use blulady's suggestion and move mine to the garage while I am ahead....lol Anyways I wish you much success in your new way of eating/living. Missy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 12:42
Slowly I turn

Thank you Missy.... you say you see a small loss everyday....what is your typical day of eating and drinking like? I must be doing something wrong....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:28

BF:

This is what I usually eat.

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried; 3 sausage links or 3 strips of bacon
2 cups of coffee w/splenda & lite cream

Lunch: 2 cups of salad w/ ranch dressing (I buy the bagged salad, its mostly lettuce) I usually slice up a little cheese to put on it.

Dinner: 2 hamburger patties cooked on the grill; or a Gortons frozen fish fillet; vegetables......usually brussel sprouts, green beans, or spinach (about a 1/2 cup)

I drink approximately 100oz of water....I know it should be more, but I will have to make it a goal to drink anymore.....lol If I want a snack I will have celery or sliced cucumber, pepperoni or sliced ham.

I walk everyday, usually 2 miles with some hills......and my house has never been cleaner!

I know that my calorie level is low, but I am eating until I feel satisfied and its working for me. I can live without a lot of food choices right now (I pigged out for toooo many years.........lol) I am not planning to go off induction anytime soon.

Hope this helps Missy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 13:31

BF:

I forgot to mention www.fitday.com If you haven't heard of it, you can go there and plug in the foods you eat and it gives you a tally of the nutrients and calories and lots of other neat charts.......... Missy
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 14:29
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi there, and welcome!

Can only imagine what your life is like with baby triplets! Wanted to let you know, if you haven't found her already, there is another mom of triplets on the forum, Triplemom. Hers are 13 yr. old boys. I'm sure you two will have plenty to talk about!

Liz
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 16:31
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizwhip
Hi there, and welcome!

Can only imagine what your life is like with baby triplets! Wanted to let you know, if you haven't found her already, there is another mom of triplets on the forum, Triplemom. Hers are 13 yr. old boys. I'm sure you two will have plenty to talk about!

Liz

I wanted my screen name to be Triplemom or triplet something or three something...ALL of them were taken...... Thanks for letting me know she is here.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 16:35
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by missy7938
This is what I usually eat.

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried; 3 sausage links or 3 strips of bacon
2 cups of coffee w/splenda & lite cream

Lunch: 2 cups of salad w/ ranch dressing (I buy the bagged salad, its mostly lettuce) I usually slice up a little cheese to put on it.

Dinner: 2 hamburger patties cooked on the grill; or a Gortons frozen fish fillet; vegetables......usually brussel sprouts, green beans, or spinach (about a 1/2 cup)

I drink approximately 100oz of water....I know it should be more, but I will have to make it a goal to drink anymore.....lol If I want a snack I will have celery or sliced cucumber, pepperoni or sliced ham.

I walk everyday, usually 2 miles with some hills......and my house has never been cleaner!

I know that my calorie level is low, but I am eating until I feel satisfied and its working for me. I can live without a lot of food choices right now (I pigged out for toooo many years.........lol) I am not planning to go off induction anytime soon.

Hope this helps Missy

Thanks Missy...that sounds good. I need to drink A LOT more water....I walk all over and I have a treadmill for the rainy days so that I got down.... I did join fitday...LOVE IT....I think I definitely did not eat enough yesterday... I will work on todays. Thanks for your menu... kids are crying...gotta go...lol...keep up the good work! Helen
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 18:21

Stats: 260/208.8/130 Female 5 FT 5 IN
BF:
Progress: 39%

Welcome aboard Karen! Congratualtions on your triplets! They must be wonderful.
I'm a mom of 3 and gained the majority of my extra weight during pregnancies. Doesn't help to be home all day with food so close at hand. I now own my own business and I'm away from home only while the older children are in school. My youngest goes to work with me. It is so much easier to keep my eating under control when I'm away from home.

Keep up with the LC...you'll eventually get the results you are looking for. Sometimes it just takes some tweeking to find what works.

Good luck and keep posting!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 19:49
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hello and welcome to the forums! Best of luck to you!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 20:12
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by snburch
I'm a mom of 3 and gained the majority of my extra weight during pregnancies. Doesn't help to be home all day with food so close at hand. I now own my own business and I'm away from home only while the older children are in school. My youngest goes to work with me. It is so much easier to keep my eating under control when I'm away from home.

Keep up with the LC...you'll eventually get the results you are looking for. Sometimes it just takes some tweeking to find what works.

Thanks Nicki....you are right about being home with the food...I put on 22 lbs after I gave birth....NOT a good thing... but there was a lot of stress here when the babies were little.... easy to grab the not so good food. I started my fit food journal today...great website..
You are doing great also, half way to your goal and 8o something cheat free days...woohoo! Take care, Helen
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-28-04, 20:13
Slowly I turn

Quote:
Originally Posted by snburch

whoops.... also, my name Helen...... close to Karen....
Have a great week!
Helen