Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 20:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 294.6/280.0/170 Female 5'6'"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default What food staples do you keep in your house?

Grocery shopping tomorrow, looking for food ideas. I'm back on Induction, first week. I've been eating a lot of tuna, chicken, and ham salad.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 21:06

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Beef, Fish, Chicken, Eggs
Romain, Iceberg, Bok Choy, Spinach, Mustard Greens
Coconut Oil, Olive or Avocado Oil
Salt, Pepper, Mustard, Hot Pepper, AC Vinegar
and oh yeah, Bacon.

Basically that's really close to what I still stock. It's the basics!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 21:34

BF:

I'll look for avocado oil. Wow you're a clean eater, you don't even have cheese on the list.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 21:43

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I have used cheese in the past, nothing wrong with it as far as I can tell, It's just to easy to over use for me, don't need the extra easy calories from it - I get enough of those from other stuff anyways.

I'm not on strict induction now but that's about all I ate for quite a while. This I've added since, cucumber, tomato, chili paste, shirataki noodle, flax meal, coconut milk, bell peppers, diakon, radish, kimchi, curry powder and paste, onions, broccoli, cauliflouer, butter (that would be good induction), saurkraut, cabbages, other exotic meats and vegetables that grow above ground, small amount of some pumpkin and squash (not work the carb count for me) red palm oil, that's about all I can think of at the moment. I have lots of pictues of stuff I made on the first page of my journal - you might get some ideas there for stuff to buy.

You will do well.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 22:21

BF:

You eat a nice broad range of food. I'll check out your journal, thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-24-17, 22:59

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

In my freezer: salmon, mince, chicken breast, steak, burger patties, stir fry veges, flavoured ice cubes (it's summer over here ).

In my fridge: cheese, eggs, milk (just a little for the eggs), butter, sour cream, spam, cranberry juice (low sugar), cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, kransky sausages, lettuce, courgette, spinach, cauliflower.

On my shelves: canned vege soup, canned tomatoes, canned tuna, soy sauce, tomato sauce (low sugar), aioli, Himalayan rock salt, black pepper, garlic powder, beef stock, macadamia nuts.

All of the above are less than 5g net carbs per 100g except the tomato sauce (which is ~15), but I only use a little of that at a time for flavouring my bunless burgers.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 05:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

You have been losing weight since end of 2015. You are "back on induction" as a tightening of foods or restart? Are you still unsure of foods you should be eating or just need ideas? You mentioned being an abstainer..many of us are, nothing visible on the shelves that would derail us. What goes out is as important as what you buy
I get a large size avocado oil at Costco, good price and use it to make mayonnaise so it doesn't go bad.
In addition to standard meats, chicken, bacon and eggs, buy deli meats like turkey breast and Italian salami at Costco, to make quick roll-ups if need a lunch (IF is an option for me) Check out the recipe forum for other popular ideas. I never tire of Crackslaw...package of ground beef and package of cole slaw or broccoli slaw (those last a while in fridge, don't go bad as quick as lettuce)

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jan-25-17 at 06:10.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 05:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Protein - ground venison, ground lamb, breakfast sausage (no sugar or other additives), canned sardines, canned wild salmon, pork liver, pork heart

Veggies - romaine, bok choy, collards, chard, cucumber, red bell pepper, scallion, garlic

Oil - coconut, olive oil, ghee

Nut and seeds - sunflower seeds, flax seed

Shirataki noodles, dried mushrooms

Coffee beans, loose green tea, apple cider vinegar

Jean

Last edited by cotonpal : Wed, Jan-25-17 at 06:58.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 14:23
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I'm new here - but this is what I have (I'm thinking I may have to cut out my HWC)

Heavy whip cream - for coffee
Liquid stevia, coffee, tea
Eggs
bacon, salami, chicken, salmon, tuna, beef, turkey, pork
Spinach, romaine lettuce, cauliflower
butter,
cheddar cheese, pepper jack cheese, monterey cheese
pork rinds, almond butter, coconut oil, olive oil
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-17, 18:32

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Fresh meats of all types
Chicken thighs with bone and skin, ribeye or sirloin steaks, ground beef, duck, pork chops.

Veggies-zucchini, cauliflower, broccoli, celery, red pepper, mushrooms, yellow onion or green onion (lower carbs), cabbage, Brussels sprouts, greens of mustard &collard, baby spinach, cucumber, boxed mixed baby lettuces triple washed and organic, garlic. etc

fridge items
cream
butter
bacon&eggs
100% meat sausage
deli corned beef boars head-no sugar
Three Little Pigs duck&pork pate' and salmon pate'.
premium mixed nuts-rarely eat

pork rind
spices
olive oil
coconut oil

Last edited by Meme#1 : Wed, Jan-25-17 at 20:56.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 04:09

Welcome adbow
See you are new and read your intro thread. You just started LC from a calorie counting plan before, so give yourself some time on plan with what is allowed before you decide what to cut. If you think you need to cut HWC for the dairy, the cheese would have to go too. On most LC plans, HWC is limited to 2-3 tablespoons and cheese to 2-4 oz so it is a limited dairy exposure. If I wanted to try eliminating something from your staple list, it would be the almond butter. I have no brakes with that stuff, no way can limit it to 1-2 T a day Maybe you can, but try a few weeks without any nuts in any form to start.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks Janet!!! My goal is to be healthy - yes lose the weight - but to be really healthy - lower my BP, get rid of my CPAP machine, etc.
I'm going home tonight and getting rid of nuts! Great idea. I don't seem to have STOP ability with them - any of them. I had thought almond butter would be better - but you are right, I don't stop at 1-2 tablespoons with that either. Someone had said a handful of cashews would help me sleep - I bought a bag over a week ago and I think I ate the whole thing within 2 days.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 13:10

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Don't worry, I used to the same way with nuts and pb! I could eat a jar of pb no problem.
Over time, a ketogenic diet helped me get control and now I always have at least 5-6 nut and seed varieties on hand and yep, even pb and almond butter.
I prefer to buy single serve nut butter packets (sorry Mother Earth!) and use cute "pinch cups" to easily measure a perfect ounce of nuts (I got a pack of 6 on Amazon for like $8).
still, I agree ditch them until you reign cravings in

For groceries, my induction days are well behind me- but here are things from induction that I still keep on hand:

Proteins:
Eggs, also eggbeaters if I plan to make a shake or smoothie (they are pasteurized so safe "raw" and you can't taste them)

Chicken, some weeks a rotisserie (they are usually cheaper than a raw bird! They are life saver during hectic weeks)

Freezer- frozen raw shrimp, frozen fillets like flounder or salmon, frozen Mahi burgers from whole foods/ trader joe's

Cheese- I like proportioned ones like baby bel for snacks- have also seen proportioned fresh mozzarella, goat cheese, jarlesburg and Brie!
I like shredded cheese for omelettes and to melt on say chicken
Parm from the green can to "bread" things like fish or chicken is delicious
Slices if you plan to make deli roll ups

Sometimes foods- premade chicken meatballs or sausages like the ones from apple gate farms (refrigerator section)
Sometimes apple gate bacon (swear I don't work for them! )
( I dislike beef and rarely eat pork- maybe once a month, but that's just my old vegetarian roots showing)
Rarely- I will get tofu or tempeh or veggy burgers to grill in summer

Fats
Olive oil for cooking and salads
Butter
Coconut oil for certain dishes
Sesame oil for stirfry- see the famous cracks law recipe on this forum if you like Asian food
Avocados
Olives

Veggies
Bagged mixed lettuces, baby spinach, hearts of romaine for "sandwiches"
Bell peppers, grape tomatoes, mushrooms, broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, green beans, eggplant, zucchini, jicama......this varies. It depends on what I'm planning to make that week
Canned diced tomatoes are perfect to make marinara, which I use often for chicken parm, with zoodles, with meatballs, etc.....
Canned pumpkin is handy for pumpkin pie smoothies or pumpkin bisque
Frozen riced cauli is a new favorite- I love using it for chicken or shrimp fried rice, or a paella, or jumbalaya
Other frozen veg mix that catches your eye for emergencies!

Miscellaneous-
Get some good vinegars (check labels for sugar) to make interesting salad dressings with the oils you bought
Coffee, tea, sf torani syrup
Sf jello
I'm a Diet Pepsi addict
Pickles, sf catsup (Heinz), mustards
Soy sauce for that crack slaw I mentioned
Low sugar jerky/ pepperoni- I am partial to vt farms and epic bars
Wasabi seaweed snacks- I'm hooked
Broth to throw together a quick soup if you get sick

To be honest my diet almost 12 years into low carb is still mostly these foods- but now I get Greek yogurt, nuts and seeds, flax meal, cashew or almond milk, carrots, beets, hummus and baba gnoiush, coconut milk no sugar added ice cream, dark chocolate, shirataki noodles, occasional tofu or tempeh, miso soup, edamame, kale chips, quest bars for emergencies

Best of luck!

Last edited by Robin120 : Fri, Jan-27-17 at 11:40.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-17, 19:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
You have been losing weight since end of 2015. You are "back on induction" as a tightening of foods or restart? Are you still unsure of foods you should be eating or just need ideas? You mentioned being an abstainer..many of us are, nothing visible on the shelves that would derail us. What goes out is as important as what you buy
I get a large size avocado oil at Costco, good price and use it to make mayonnaise so it doesn't go bad.
In addition to standard meats, chicken, bacon and eggs, buy deli meats like turkey breast and Italian salami at Costco, to make quick roll-ups if need a lunch (IF is an option for me) Check out the recipe forum for other popular ideas. I never tire of Crackslaw...package of ground beef and package of cole slaw or broccoli slaw (those last a while in fridge, don't go bad as quick as lettuce)

This is a total restart for me, I was just looking for ideas. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be ready to go back to IF after getting established.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-17, 04:18

Great, everyone who answered on this thread has good ideas. welcome back