Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-12-08, 12:31

Plan: Haven't picked one yet
Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5.7
BF:
Progress:
Default PCOS and Kidney Stone Link?

Hi All, new to this forum, am really enjoying reading everyone posts, thanks for being so open with your experiences. I am wondering has anyone else with PCOS had a problem with Kidney stones? I'm 34, have had PCOS for years and thought if anything I'd have gallbladder problems, but two weeks ago ended up in the ER after having horrible pain, only to find out I had a kidney stone. OUCH. I am curious if they are related? anyone know?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-12-08, 19:27

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

This is the first I've heard of it, though I've passed 5 kidney stones. I do know that hormonal changes in the body can contribute to kidney stones...I guess it would make sense. Not seen any proof of it, though.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-08, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/214/160 Female 68inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Wow, strange. I just got diagnosed with mild PCOS and I have suffered from kidney stones in the past. I have had 7 lithotripsies and 2 more experimental. Thankfully, its been awhile since my kidney stones have flared up. Hmm, maybe there is a link between the two.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 03:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/180/140 Female 5foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

I have kidney stones for years and also have PCOS. I am not sure if there is link or not. I know that being on a LC diet can make your kidneys work a little harder, because the diet is a natural diuretic. But if you drink at least ten glasses of water a day and maybe try adding some real lemons to it, the acid helps break down any hard crystals in your kidneys, it may help. I haven't been able to find any connection between PCOS and kidney stones, but then again I have had like 24 stones in the last 14 years and have even been to the National Institute of Health for testing.....they said that there is no link. But that doesn't make it true. I know drink drink drink is what they told me. Try to stay away from dark sodas, teas, coffees any soda that contains caffeine. Hope this helps because I know how painful KS are. I had four kids, and I would rather give birth to a kid than a stone!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-08, 19:49

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

I'd forgotten about this thread. This summer I had been diagnosed with 4 more kidney stones. My total, according to the dr, is 11 for my lifetime. When you get labs done, ask about your calcium levels.

One thing you don't want to do is drink pop with phosphoric acid in it. Most Colas have it in it. Phosphoric acid leaches calcium out of your bones. Also, avoid diarrhea. If your liquids are going out your bowels, they're not washing out your kidneys. Then there's hyperparathyroidism. You make a lot of stones with that.