Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-00, 21:18

Plan:
Stats: 225/210/140
BF:
Progress:

I've been on the low carb diet for 5 weeks. Someone
told me I wouldn't lose til about 3 weeks. However, I
lost 12 lbs and now have been at a stand still for 2
weeks...Any thoughts as to what is happening. I just
have moderate ketones now, which took 4.5 weeks to get.
Am I eating too much or not enough or is this plan
not for me? Suggestions and help needed.
Lucy.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-00, 21:32
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile Hi Lucy,

Welcome to our forum. Losing quickly at first, then slowing down is normal for just about everybody. 1/2 to 1 lb. a week is not uncommon, and is in fact a good rate, more likely to stay off in the long run.

You didn't mention which lowcarb program are you following?? Atkins, Protein Power or another? The carb levels are different. On the subject of carbs, are you very careful in your menu planning? There can be a lot of hidden carbs - cheese, the cream in your coffee, the packets of sweetener in your coffee, do you measure your vegetables and other carb foods. Maybe if you posted a day's menu here, we can go over it with you, maybe find the problem. And be sure that you are drinking at least 8 glasses of water every single day. It really does help to flush out the ketones.

Keep posting often, that is good for the weight loss effort too You're among friends, we love helping people reach their goals!

Doreen, in Ontario
p.s. - we're nosy too. whereabouts are you from??
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-27-00, 23:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile Hi, Lucy!

Hi, Lucy, welcome to the board!

Doreen is right, 1/2 to 1 pound a week sounds about right. Some people seem to lose a lot quicker, and some even slower. The hype out there seems to be that a low carb diet will make you lose weight *fast*, but it from what I've heard that that's more the exception than the rule. Fortunately, one of the nice things about this way of eating is that it's perfectly painless - I feel better on it than off it, in fact - so there's no hurry to get to goal.

Also, if you've increased your exercise at all, you may be losing fat and gaining muscle, which is not reflected on the scale (muscle weighs more than fat does), but will be reflected in a looser fit to your clothes and your general state of health.

Although the ketostix work for me (ie, turn pink), I've also heard that they don't work for everybody, that is, they don't turn colour. The more water you drink the more dilute your urine is, so the fewer ketones you'll have to turn the ketostix. But that's good, 'cause you need to keep those little suckers flushed out. Drink water!

Keep us posted!

Rachel
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-28-00, 11:00
Registered Member

Plan: customized PP
Stats: 195/153/115
BF:
Progress: 53%
Wink gaining muscle

Hi Lucy! Sorry to hear about your stall. I can't add much to the great advice you received already, but can tell you about my own recent experience. I hit a plateau which was very unusual for me as I was losing sowly, by steady. When I hit that stall, I started to increase my activity level. I was (and still am) exercising like a maniac (resistance training, power walking, running, crunches, everything I could think of)and that, every single day. But still, the scales wouldn't budge.

After posting here (or should I say whining thanks guys) I decided to take my measurements. And what do you know!! I had lost inches So I would strongly recommend you do that, you might be in for a nice surprise.

And as Rachel and Doreen already said, post a menu, it's easier when trying to find the culprit.

Anyhow, you came to the right place (I'm addicted to this forum and happy to say it).

Keep posting, everyone is here for you. Jen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-29-00, 05:57

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Lucy.

I have been on this way of eating for over a year now and I have many times gotten on the scale and have not lost any weight, but at those times the tape measure does a wonderful job. So Lucy, just have a lot of patience and follow this woe and you will see wonderful results, and also feel so great.Try to take one day at a time and be sure to follow your diet, and drink a lot of water. Also make sure you take your vitamins.
Also in the past year, my Ketosix sticks have not gone past a trace. I have never seen purple yet. I even tried the three day no carb thing and they never changed either. So dont worry if your scale does not move. Trust me it will .