Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 07:41
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Unhappy Reliable Charts

Is there a chart that is reliable? About 6 months ago I had this weird test in which they were determining my body fat
I was thinking... 75% after all I was suppose to be 138 and I was at the time 325... so anyways. They used these "pincher" like things and entered the information but then they did this other thing where they used what looked like the end part of the machine they use to look at a woman when she's pregnant. Sound wave... thingy... (Gees, I've got to get a better vocabulary!) Well I guess it measures how dense your muscles are?? And they told me that I have 52% body fat.
Wow!! The woman who did the test that I should weigh between 160 and 180. That can't be right... Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 08:38

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

It most certainly can be right! It depends on many things, your frame, your bone denisty and your musculature. I know that I have a medium build but I have dense bones and I am very muscular. At 150 lbs I look like I've been starving myself. Right now at 207 I look like I weigh about 175 lbs and I wear clothing that correspondes to that size (size 14 or 16). What matters here is not the number on the scale, but how you feel.

Getting to 22% Body Fat for you might mean 180lbs, it could mean 165lbs.... it will depend on all those things I listed above. It will also be up to you to decide whether 22% BF is what you want. You could be happy at 24%.

FYI there is post in the exercise forum from a few days ago about the best ways to measure body fat.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 11:40
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Smile Thank you again, Nat!

I have to admit, I'm muscular. I was the oldest of four girls in my family and I was the "son" if you know what I mean. My sisters got bathing suits for gifts I got jackets.
I'm very strong. I surprised myself one time for picking up a box and after I put it down I read that it was 115lbs. It was heavy for me but I could carry it across my company. It must be from picking up my children who weigh in the 100s now.
My bones are medium size, though who can tell?? I can put my thumb and pinky together around my wrist.. I had one Doctor tell me I was Petite... at 5'-8"? I think not. My current Doctor says I must have dense bones because I have never broken a bone in my body except for my fingers. At work people guess I weight 210 and when they found out I was over 300 before they were floored!
So you think that's a good number.. thanks, now if only my parents would believe me...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-01-01, 11:46

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

How about this... don't tell them your weight, tell them what size you're wearing (if you even feel they need to know). They'll see that you've lost weight and you look healthy and feel good, that should be enough. If were to say, "I've lost 34 lbs and I weight 207lbs" it wouldnt get anywhere near the reaction of "I've lost 34 lbs and I'm wearing a size 14". And take great satisfaction in knowing that you'd win that Fairground game where they have to guess your weight to get a prize

Nat