Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-16, 06:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/keto
Stats: 216/211/170 Male 5' 11''
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Keto wk 4 dizziness and lightheaded can't drive

hi all, i started keto October 10 and yesterday was my 4 wk time point. I am happy that I lost 10 lbs and felt great throughout. I had occasional slips nothing serious but got back on track.

I started feeling lightheaded and dizzy yesterday and it got worse by the evening. I left work and walking was an ordeal and I felt like I had tunnel vision. I got in the car to drive home and it was not pleasant I should not have driven and had to pull over twice hoping it would go away.

In the end when I felt I was going to black out I called a friend who is a doctor and she said it could be hypoglycemia. I was right next to a pizza joint and the rest is history. I binged ate a whole large pizza and felt good enough to drive home. Woke up this morning and weighed 2 lbs more than last week but it could be more than 2 lb because I hadn't weighed myself in a week.

I have learned that keto stix and numbers on the scale are just mere psychological aids and what matters is how I feel. So not worried about anything right now but the dizziness and fainting episode. A few websites say it's dehydration or low salt. Some say it's normal and some others say keto is not for you. Any thoughts suggestions ? Since I was feeling dizzy almost all day I think I was cautious while driving but if it were a sudden onset I am not sure what would have happened. Is losing a few lbs worth risking my life?

What can I do to prevent future episodes? Btw back on track with keto today. I have another 20 to lose.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-16, 07:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I second the sites that it is dehydration and lack of salt. Six years on LC I still need to be aware of having enough salt..the need for it does not go away. Nancy started a good thread with all the details why you need water and salt, chicken broth is a fast way to ingest both. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...210#post8626210
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-16, 07:50

Plan: the FightDoctors plan
Stats: 215/171/165 Male 177 cm
BF:
Progress: 88%

We've all been there and a lot of us will forget every-so-often and end up dizzy and light headed!!

I now make sure that I have a minimum amount of salt each day, and I keep this going when I fast. Personally I need at least 6 gm or I feel bad. I get this through a chicken stock, either home made or bought. But it needs to be done.

Hope you feel better soon :-)
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-16, 09:04

Plan: Atkins/eating to my meter
Stats: 170/132/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 84%

It could be dehydration. You might need salt. Maybe it was hypoglycemia. Or maybe it's completely unrelated and you picked up a virus or something.

If you feel faint, don't drive. Eat a handful of nuts or a spoon of peanut butter - pizza isn't good for anyone.

Also if it is true, dangerous hypoglycemia pizza won't raise your BG fast enough to be helpful. Neither will nuts or PB but they will at least break your fast in a healthier way.

Are you checking your BG? If a doctor really, truly believes you had a low blood sugar episode then s/he will tell you to start checking. Most people with normal metabolic function might have a rare low, but a healthy body will almost always correct a low automatically even if you never eat another carb in your life.

Are you taking blood pressure medication? Have you checked your BP lately? Maybe you don't need the meds anymore, or the dose you're taking.

You need more data, and to see your regular doctor before you decide anything.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-11-16, 12:22

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Recommend you get a blood pressure meter and a blood glucose monitor. Next time you're feeling dizzy, check both BP and BG. Low BP would signal dehydration and/or the need for more electrolytes (salts). Low BG would signal hypoglycemia.

Pizza, bad as it is for anybody's diet on any kind of regular basis, contains plenty of both salt and carbohydrates. So while I can't recommend it, it makes sense that after gorging on pizza, you might feel better...regardless of what caused your dizziness.

And do get a complete check up so you have more information to base your decisions on.