Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 12:01
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 173/150/145 Female 5' 7'
BF:34/28.8/25
Progress: 82%
Default Newbie just making my proper introduction

Hi Everybody. Just wanted to introduce myself to all the fellow CAD/CALPS and give you scoop on me. I've been lurking here for a couple weeks and feel like I know you already.
I'm a 33 year old mom to an 11 month old baby girl. Tinkered around with CAD as teenager but did not have any self control with the RM's and sabotaged myself quickly when I didn't see the fast results I wanted. During my pregnancy they discovered my thyroid was over-active and I had a large tumor on it. Other than that had a great pregnancy - did the Bradley Childbirth Method, ate lots of protein exercised and kept my weight gain to 30lbs and had a beautiful natural birth w/no drugs. Thanks to the extra thyroid and extremely frequent breastfeeding I lost all my weight plus and additional 7 lbs. which put me back to 165lbs. within about 8 wks of DD's birth. 3 months after her birth they went in to remove the tumor as well as 1/2 my thyroid (thankfully tumor was benign). Since the removal in November I gained 7 lbs. Went back to my old faithful exercise and calorie counting (which always worked like a charm for me) with the hopes of losing that along with an extra 15 lbs. I lost 6 lbs. in the first 10 days but then the subsequent 3 weeks after I lost nothing. Nothing I did could make the scale move - I was doing high intensity workouts 6 days a week and eating about 1500 calories/day but way too many carbs I think.
Stumbled upon this site and decided to really try and make CALP my new way of life. I'm trying hard to adjust my thinking in regards to fast weight loss. My thyroid levels are low now but I feel good and the doctor doesn't think meds are quite necessary yet. So I kind of feel like I'm fighting an uphill weight battle with a slow metabolism but I really think this program is something I can stick with and I got alot of comfort from the CALP book saying that anything above 1/2 lb/week weight loss is really good and more likely to stay off. Trying not to get my hopes up too much on this WOE but if it doesn't work I'll be be heartbroken.
My inclination is to do all the "options" in the CALP book at once to try and lose the most weight but I'm holding myself back and trying to keep it slow and steady. I like my coffee & iced tea a little Splenda sweetened but have tried to cut back on the servings per day. I also have a tendency to go off balance having a little too many carbs at RM (mostly sugar) but I have a lifetime to work on that too. Weighing in at 163 today and my goal is 150.
Anyway that's my story, I look forward to updating everyone on my progress. Everybody's stories/posts on here have inspired me so much that I felt I had to be polite and share mine.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-18-10, 18:45

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

Melissa, welcome!

Thank you for sharing your story with us and congratulations on the birth of your daughter.

In my opinion, the only reason people leave this program is because they are in a hurry to get the weight off.

I think this program is wonderful! I am confident that anyone that would choose to make this their lifelong eating program, will be successful in the long run.

If we are patient and put in the time, the results will follow!

I wish you well!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-10, 07:28
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Melissa-
congrats on the baby!My baby girl is now 26 and married!! It goes fast- enjoy!

I agree with Teri- this is a great way to eat for life. I think sugar and HFCS and AS are really not good for us- so limiting them is healthy not only for you but your family.

Your thyroid issue is scary, but you are fine! If the doctor treating you is not an endocrinologist, please see one. Most of the people I know who have lots of their thyroid removed do supplement. It will be very important for you to be monitored before you have another child.

There is a great thyroid area on this site, too.

WELCOME!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-10, 12:24
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 173/150/145 Female 5' 7'
BF:34/28.8/25
Progress: 82%

Thanks Eno. Yes, I actually have 2 doctors - surgeon and endocrinologist at the top of their fields at the hospital where I had my surgery (City of Hope in California) who are keeping tabs on me. At my last visit the Dr.said - hard to explain but basically, my thyroid levels are on the low side now but my body believes these levels are normal and no damage is being done so as long as I'm feeling good we don't need to start meds yet. But they'll keep checking my blood work etc. to check for any changes. I know that if I took medication it would make the weight loss much easier but then I'd have the hassle of frequent doctor appts. in Duarte (an hour from my house) to check on dosages etc. and I'd be on it for the rest of my life so I'm holding off as long as I'm healthy.
Thanks for the reference to the thyroid forum, I'm definitely going to check it out!