Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 09:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Fermenting removes a lot of the lactose because it's the sugar the bacteria uses to turn it into lactic acid, which gives yogurt and stuff that lovely tang.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 11:15

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

Forgot all about this thread.. haha..

Reading back, I wondered if I was eating the majority of my dairy with wheat products, and I was.

Now, when I eat bread, pasta, crackers, etc. I get bad #2s for a good 3-4 hours the next day. Even without dairy. So I'm pretty sure that's what it is. And I'm wondering if before when I wasn't LCing, the dairy was just making it worse when mixed together.

Ok, that's all. I'm still fine on dairy LOL.. And I feel like I'm absolutely dying inside when I have gluten.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 11:58

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Re-Introducing Milk...

If you don't drink milk with lactose for an extended time, your body stops producing the enzymes needed to digest it. That is what we shouldn't drink milk after being weaned from breast milk. Our bodies are designed to stop digesting the lactose after we stop suckling. When you re-introduce milk back into your diet, it takes weeks for your body to start producing the needed enzymes again. Hence....all the nasty side effects return.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 12:08

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStump
Forgot all about this thread.. haha..

Reading back, I wondered if I was eating the majority of my dairy with wheat products, and I was.

Now, when I eat bread, pasta, crackers, etc. I get bad #2s for a good 3-4 hours the next day. Even without dairy. So I'm pretty sure that's what it is. And I'm wondering if before when I wasn't LCing, the dairy was just making it worse when mixed together.

Ok, that's all. I'm still fine on dairy LOL.. And I feel like I'm absolutely dying inside when I have gluten.

That's how it is with me. Took me a while to figure out it was the wheat, not dairy, making me "ill" for the next day or two. I actually suspected it wasn't the dairy because I could eat ice cream - just not cheese, milk, cream, etc. Make sense because I wouldn't be eating wheat with ice cream but I did with the other dairy. Go figure!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 15:23

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Have you ever considered raw dairy? People who begin consuming raw dairy tend to have no problems with lactose intolerance. One idea is raw dairy has living enzymes that aid in digestion.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 16:56

Plan: Gluten Free, Low Carb
Stats: 205/200.2/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 9%

black57, I found it was a gluten intolerance, not dairy allergy, that was making me sick
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 19:21

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazLaJauna
If you don't drink milk with lactose for an extended time, your body stops producing the enzymes needed to digest it. That is what we shouldn't drink milk after being weaned from breast milk. Our bodies are designed to stop digesting the lactose after we stop suckling. When you re-introduce milk back into your diet, it takes weeks for your body to start producing the needed enzymes again. Hence....all the nasty side effects return.

*bling!* [Picture of a lightbulb here]

I bet that's what happened with me. Thanks kaz!

I will try the yogurt facial suggestion as well.

black, I will try some raw milk one of these days and see what happens.

Thanks, guys!
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-11, 22:19

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImOnMyWay
*bling!* [Picture of a lightbulb here]

I bet that's what happened with me. Thanks kaz!

I will try the yogurt facial suggestion as well.

black, I will try some raw milk one of these days and see what happens.

Thanks, guys!

For me, it seems that the way we ate before all the procedures to make food healthier is really making us sick. I am, by far, no expert but I have been reading and I have been tasting some raw dairy. As I had mentioned, I use raw cream in my coffee ocasionally. I also use raw butter and raw cheese occasionally. I am hoping to do a mini road trip to a raw dairy farm for my birthday. THey supply a local health based grocery store in Orange county. THese dairy products are expensive which is why I don't buy a lot of dairy. Interesting though, my DS has requested some raw milk for his cereal.
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 10:09

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Just the thread I was looking for. Thank you! I too have had periods of bloating and pain when eating to much carbs or just "gluten free" foods in general but now I am tolerating both the lactose and the milk protein much better. I do need to limit my intake on f i yoghurt but not butter or cream. The fatter the better it seems. I do think too much of the dairy still can make me retain water/gain weight but not like before when I was eating gluten free foods (often containing wheat starch) and what not. Milk is something I am still more careful with. I love that my nails and skin look healthy again. The nails got so thin and brittle and my skin was so dry (fat-hydrated). Cheers!

Last edited by Happy girl : Sat, Apr-21-18 at 10:33.