Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 13:51

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 174/170/140 Female 66.5 in.
BF:
Progress:
Question How do you eat SP on a limited budget?

Okay, here is my problem. I have read Dr. S's book and agree with its principles, but find you have to be rich to eat all that natural food. My husband and I have been eating on about $65 a week. We really want to do the SP, but the cost of natural and organic food is out of sight for us. For instance, we went to the store this morning to take back the two gal. of milk we had and buy some cream. One pint of organic was $3.29 and a quart of the namebrand sold around here was $3.79. Nitrate free breakfast sausages and bacon at our local natural butcher are $5.00 a pound compared to Little Sizzlers at $1.00 on sale. And naturally-raised meat at this same butcher? No way for us. Another problem is lunches for my husband. He has to carry his lunch with him, so what can he take that is easy to pack but still stays within the limits of SP? We really want to do this because both of us really aren't feeling very well and we know it's our diet, but can people with a very modest income actually succeed at the SP? We know the whole thing about how your health is the most important thing, but how do you do this on a very limited budget?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-14-08, 10:36

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

funny no boby had any thing to say ! Here's what ! get what you can, as far as organic go's I feel it is a rip off ! take a apple look how good they look , gee my apple tree don't give me apples like that ! I 'm really sorry that you think that if you don't eat organic you will not make it ! "for you don't think that way" do some googling on organic and you find that 99% of what you read is my the sellers. good luck (-: PS I got the same when I ask about grass feed beef......
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 08:00

Plan: AK
Stats: 155/147/145 Male 5'7 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 80%

#4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 01:02

Plan: CEA-HOW
Stats: 272/219/156 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Personally, I am broke as hell right now, but I really want to try the SP. It makes sound nutritional sense and I could stay on it for a long period of time. My last bout of ketogenic dieting totally drove me over the edge, and I can't stomach the thought of going through that again. I am also worried about the food costs of organic items, and with that being said:

I think maybe the message I am going to take home from the SP is to just do my best to avoid chemicals, period. Eat organic when you can, and when you can't, you do conventional. Just because you are throwing some non-organic items into the mix doesn't mean you aren't doing well. Even if you eat all conventional produce and meat and dairy on the SP, you will still be avoiding artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, perservatives, alcohol, over the counter drugs, prescription drugs (where possible) and caffeine. And you'll be eating low-carb. That sure sounds a heck of a lot better than where I'm at right now, organic or not!
I've found that there are certain items that are cheaper when you buy them frozen or in bulk (veggies, fruit, chicken). Canned beans are good, too. Organic cheese is hella expensive, so I usually don't go there. I look for sales, use coupons and try to "triage" my produce. This website has a list of what has the most residue--maybe you can try to go organic on these items only:
http://www.organicconsumers.org/org...de-residues.cfm