Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 18:40
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%
Lightbulb PCOS: An Athletic Advantage?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7354882.stm

Ovary problem 'may aid athletes'
Some female athletes have no or irregular periods

A common cause of menstrual disorders in women may offer a significant advantage to some athletes, according to a Swedish scientist.

Some leading female athletes have either no periods or irregular periods, normally thought to be due to tough training regimes and restricted diets.

But in some cases polycystic ovary syndrome may be the cause, said Magnus Hagmar, of the Karolinska Institute.

This raises male sex hormone levels and may help sufferers in sport, he said.

Many women have polycystic ovaries without any outward symptoms, although it can lower fertility and cause problems such as excess body hair and acne.

Power sports

While the precise cause is unknown, there seems to be a genetic link to the condition.

Mr Hagmar, from the Karolinska Institute, believes that having polycystic ovaries could explain some of the menstrual disorders found in "elite athletes".

He found polycystic ovaries were much more common in athletes training for the Olympics compared with the average woman - 37% of the athletes had them, compared with one in five women in the general population.

Polycystic ovaries were also more common in "power sports" such as ice hockey and wrestling, compared with technical sports such as archery or curling.

This could mean that the slight increase in production of the male sex hormone testosterone which accompanies polycystic ovaries is offering a competitive advantage.

He said: "What we're dealing with is just a tiny increase in levels, which can make it easier for the women to build muscle mass and absorb oxygen.

"This means that they might have got quicker results from their training and therefore been encouraged to train harder and more often."

Stronger bones

He said the results suggested a smaller influence for the conventional view that links eating disorders and heavy training with the loss of periods and an increase in brittle bone risk caused by the suppression of female hormones, as none of the athletes he tested had weak bones.

However, Professor Stephen Franks, an expert on reproductive biology from Imperial College London, said that while the research was "interesting", it did not offer proof that polycystic ovaries were a significant factor in menstrual disorders in athletes.

"It's pretty well established that, at least in endurance athletes, such as marathon runners, menstrual disorders are related to the effect of heavy exercise on the pituitary gland.

"It is possible that in 'power' sports that women who generally have slightly higher levels of testosterone may be better off."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 19:47

Plan: atkins hybrid
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 65 inches
BF:that's the point.
Progress: 52%

Drat!!! I knew I was Olympics material!

(OMG!!! Could Hendrik be more adorable????!!! He is one seriously CUTE baby-guy!)
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-08, 21:33

Stats: 316/275/260 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 73%

I read that and immediately I was like "I KNEW IT!!" I'm a so-caled "power sport" athlete (football, powerlifting)-- and I'm definitely one strong mutha.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-08, 15:59
Don't Call Me Sugar

Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

(Thanks, KuuKuu! )

I've suspected this too. I put on muscle and strength relatively well, and I seem to be able to go out running (albeit slowly) despite my weight.
My high-tech scale says my skeleton weighs 8 pounds, which is apparently more than average, too. So hey.

PCOS can sure be a pain, but hey, it's not all bad news!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 14:38

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

i've always assumed this about myself too! I'm very strong and able to build and maintain muscle very well.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 08:25

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

You think that is interesting? I just read an article that claimed that having PCOS could be one of the reasons women become lesbians....

They think the additional hormones make you attracted to females with normal levels, because these individuals feel more like a man.

What do you think?

My opinion is that PCOS has at times made me feel very unattractive to my spouse, but at no time did it ever make me attracted to other women. I have severe forms of the hair issue (facial removed by laser over the years), always 'bulked up' when working out my whole life, and felt I had far more in common with men/boys forever - but never once did I want to become a lesbian.

(sorry, I cannot remember the site I read this 'medical blog')
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-09, 08:38

Plan: hunter-gatherer
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 5'6"
BF:breast feeding! ;)
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leelanau
You think that is interesting? I just read an article that claimed that having PCOS could be one of the reasons women become lesbians....

They think the additional hormones make you attracted to females with normal levels, because these individuals feel more like a man.

What do you think?

My opinion is that PCOS has at times made me feel very unattractive to my spouse, but at no time did it ever make me attracted to other women. I have severe forms of the hair issue (facial removed by laser over the years), always 'bulked up' when working out my whole life, and felt I had far more in common with men/boys forever - but never once did I want to become a lesbian.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=pc...lient=firefox-a

a bunch of articles pop up if you google pcos lesbians. I am not a lesbian, but it makes sense to me that it is hormonally related. I think there are varying degrees of it, of course, too.

I guess the question would be a sort of chicken/egg thing... do women become lesbians because they have pcos, or do they get pcos because they are lesbian? I think it would be the first... the athletic question is a bit more tricky-- but I think that if the body is under enough physical stress that it hasn't evolved to handle gracefully, combined with poor diet and other factors, hormonal disruption might ensue= pcos.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-09, 08:44

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:

nope, 100% not lesbian here! Absolutely attracted only to men, even if they are not attracted to me because of the PCOS thing!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-09, 10:38

Stats: 316/275/260 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 73%

Well, I have to fess up - I'm bisexual. Although I've never looked for a "reason" that I am. I just am.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-09, 19:22

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%

The whole thing sounds fishy to me. If it truly was a genetic reason woman became interested in the opposite sex, how come I don't know any lesbian women who are PCOS? I know my fair share of PCOS patients that are hetero, and I have many gay girl friends.

I'll admit that most of us were athletes in high school, and the majority of them are still involved in active occupations and/or sporting teams. That is a different subject however. I happen to totally agree that the androgens have given women the competitive edge in athletics - if they train hard.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-21-10, 20:06

Plan: General Low Carb.
Stats: 194/194/143 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Thats very interesting....Im PCOS and i swear i was the worst at any type of sport at school. Still aint much good at it either. Im to uncoordinated lol.. Then again my parents arnt what you call really sporty people either so never got any insentive from that.
Oh and im 100% not lesbian as well. I did go through a stage when i was a teen where i wondered what it would be like though...Curiousity i think.