Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-15-06, 20:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Cauliflower and broccoli boost cancer protection

http://www.999today.com/foodanddrin...story/2737.html

Naturally occurring chemicals found in certain vegetables, like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage, can enhance DNA repair in cells, perhaps helping to stop them becoming cancerous, a new report suggests.

The researchers, based at Georgetown University in Washington DC, have shown that a compound called I3C found in these vegetables, and a chemical called genistein found in soy beans, both increase the levels of vital DNA repair proteins in cancer cells.

Although population studies have suggested a link between eating such vegetables and protection against cancer before, this study now puts forward a molecular mechanism on how they might work.

The repair proteins, regulated by genes called BRCA1 and BRCA2, are important for preventing damaged genetic information being passed on to the next generation of cells.

If people have a faulty BRCA gene they are at a higher risk of developing some forms of cancer, including breast, ovarian and prostate cancer. Since decreased amounts of the BRCA proteins are seen in cancer cells, higher levels might prevent cancer developing. The ability of I3C and genistein to boost the amount of BRCA proteins could explain their protective effects.

Professor Eliot Rosen, Georgetown University: "Studies that monitor people's diets and their health have found links between certain types of food and cancer risk.

"However, before we can say a food protects against cancer, we have to understand how it does this at a molecular level."

Prof Rosen's research group had already shown that some natural chemicals in food increased the levels of BRCA1. In this report, the two compounds they studied both acted on BRCA1 and BRCA2.

Prof Rosen added: "It is now clear that the function of crucial cancer genes can be influenced by compounds in the things we eat. Our findings suggest a clear molecular process that would explain the connection between diet and cancer prevention."

Professor John Toy, medical director of Cancer Research UK, said: "Diet's role in cancer prevention is complex. This research explores an interesting hypothesis as to how certain components of diet can affect cancer risk. The evidence is building that these chemical compounds act on some of the genes inside cells that help prevent cancer developing."

"We still don't know if this is exactly how these chemicals might act in every day life. Cancer Research UK's Reduce the Risk campaign, however, is based on what we do know, including the fact that eating a balanced diet, high in fibre and with plenty of fruit and vegetables, lowers the risks of developing many forms of cancer."

The report is published in the in the British Journal of Cancer.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 17:03

Plan: self-designed
Stats: 216/189/190 Male tad under 6'
BF:
Progress: 104%

Interesting; and both are listed as being possible goitrogenics? What form of death should I chose?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 17:14
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

I eat them everyday for a year and have had thyroid tests done and are normal. Goitrogens shouldnt cause a problem in a person without thyroid problems?

I have these everyday..

Broccoli 300g
Brussel sprouts 155g
Red Cabbage 50g
Cauliflower 180g
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 17:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Cooking them dispenses with much of the goitrogenic properties.

I had fresh brussel sprouts last night. Steamed with just a tiny bit of water and then lathered in ghee. Oh dear... it was fantastic.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-16-06, 18:17
Registered Member

Plan: CRON / Zone
Stats: 118/110/110 Male 5ft 7"
BF:very low
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Cooking them dispenses with much of the goitrogenic properties.

oh good... I mostly steam and sometimes boil these vegetables (without murdering them!)
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 20:25
Don't Call Me Sugar

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 293/287/230 Female 65 inches
BF: :^( :^| :^)
Progress: 10%

The Low Countries way is to boil lightly with onions, then add butter. Of course, when I was living in the Netherlands I could buy these excellent bags full of tiny little ones....mmm, spruitjes.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-18-06, 20:29

Stats: 270/160/145 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I hope this is true. I eat broccoli and/or cauliflower almost every day.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 19:06

Stats: 403/345/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 56%

My guess is that like normal people with taste buds, the tumors get their first hint of broccoli and cauliflower and realize they would rather starve to death.
Presto, no cancer.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-06, 19:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
My guess is that like normal people with taste buds, the tumors get their first hint of broccoli and cauliflower and realize they would rather starve to death.
Presto, no cancer.

Some of us crazy folks actually like that taste believe it or not! There are some people called "super-tasters" that can probably taste something else that people like me can't, that makes it pretty yucky to them.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 11:34
Registered Member

Stats: 185/180/165
BF:
Progress: 25%

Traditional Chinese Medicine says people are all one of five types. One type may prefer sweet tastes. One type actually prefers things that taste burned, like blackened popcorn. Personally, I like broccoli and spinach but hate carrots or burned popcorn.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-06, 12:41

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Cooked cauliflower, pureed in blender or Magic Bullet with some butter & salt, is yummier than mashed potatoes or un-burned popcorn to my 'buds!