Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Bio-identical hormone replacement?

So, has anyone here done the hormone replacement using bio-identical hormones?

I am curious about this but I have a few questions:

1) Do you resume having a period?

2) Is this ok for women with endometriosis or fibroids?

3) Does it increase cancer risk like synthetic hormones?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 13:23

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I'm working with my dr. right now regarding that very thing! So far he gave me some estrogen/progesterone cream (to rub on skin) which has helped tremendously with hot flashes, even though it's a very low dose. But we're waiting for my blood test results to come back before doing anything more, and he sends his blood tests out of state, so it takes a good two weeks or more. I guess I'll know more in another week or two. But it appears that if prescribed correctly, they are very helpful in protecting your health.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 13:32
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Dahlqvist's
Stats: 205/152/160 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 118%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
So, has anyone here done the hormone replacement using bio-identical hormones?
I presume (as you generally find good links before I do) that you have already found and read JeffreyDach's blog and website.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-08, 15:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Nope, don't think I've run into that. I'll give it a read.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 06:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I too am very interested in BHRT, have been suffering in silence for too many years. If anyone has any experiencing please let us know, I am sure there are a few of us who would be grateful.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-09, 06:56

Plan: Atkins maint
Stats: 200/125/125 Female 5'3
BF:not fat anymore!
Progress: 100%

Nancy trust me a hormone is a hormone and if you are worried about putting hormones into your body I would not use even a bioidentical one. Your body sees homones the same way and you will react accordingly. Hormones are fine if your daily life activities, job or personal life are suffering badly. Or if you feel like you just have to do SOMETHING or die!!! (figurative here) and then yes choose bioidentical it is the better choice along with a careful titrating to the absolute minimum hormone for the best relief

talk to a provider you trust, actually a naturopathic doctor (do you already see one I have not been here long enough to know your history) or a compounding pharmacist who specializes in hormone therapy would be the best choice

just my thoughts for what it is worth, but I am new and have no street cred here yet
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-09, 17:51
Love my FAT!

Plan: Atkinsish/Cycling
Stats: 215/151.0/150 Female 67
BF:forgetaboutit!
Progress: 98%

I just started taking BHRT - about 3 weeks in now. I have crossed over into full Menopause. I like the BHRT, hot flashes are gone, feel a lot of the Menopause "funk" is gone, more feminine & caring about how I look & a little extra jump in my step so to speak. Improved sex drive too...

The doctor will retest my levels in 6 weeks. I think a good doctor & retesting is critical.

To answer your questions:
1) it shouldn't -- but there are exceptions, especially for perimenopausal.
2) Fibroids could be a problem. My doc said if they bleed some of his patients get cauterized.
3) No one knows, no studies have been conducted on BHRT.

I have read 2 books on the subject, AGELESS by S. somers - a little too much salesmanship, but a good intro to the subject.
Also "Natural Hormone Balance for Women" by UZZI REISS MD & M. zucker - this book I highly recommend....

So far, I love BHRT & you can adjust the therapy pretty easily as well.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-01-09, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/139/135 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Fatnhappy thanks so much for your input, I have an appt. to see my doctor in a few weeks and will be asking to be put on the hormones. I need some relief and am hoping this will help.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 17:23

Plan: Paleo-Schwarz
Stats: 168/165/128 Female 64 inches
BF:mucho/less/goal
Progress: 8%

Hi Nancy
there is a very good site on BHRT administered in the rythmic method---so one does get a period.
The links are:
www.thewileyprotocol.com
www.thewileyprotocol.com/blog/
The also have a place where you can search to see if there are any docs in your area who treat via the Wiley protocol.

As far as fibroids---that's one only your doctor can answer. It might depend on the size and number of fibroids. I did do the rythmic BHRT for a year+ a couple of years ago---with no problems---despite 5 tiny fibroids.

I am going to see my doc next week for a hormone overhaul(including sex and endocrine hormones); fortunately he uses the Wiley protocol. I don't think it is anything new---a rythmic BHRT program by any other name is still what it is.

I Hope all works out for you.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 03:26

Plan: Primal/Paleo/MyOwn
Stats: 187.5/168/132 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Nancy, I just wanted to follow up with my use of the bio-identical hormones. I think they're great! I use a fairly low dose, just enough to help me feel "normal" again and stop the hot flashes and migraines. My doctor suggests that every three to four months, you stop using the cream for a few days, and you'll have a period. Then you go back to using the cream.

However, I have done some studying and research about the Wiley Protocol, and I have some concerns about it. My doctor doesn't agree with it, and Ms. Wiley has no credentials whatsoever. (She's not even a college graduate.) Ms. Wiley prescribes very high doses of the hormones. High doses such as the Wiley Protocol requires may have serious side effects.

Of course, this is just my own $.02!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 18:51
Registered Member

Plan: EFGT
Stats: 152/124/118 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I have been on bhrt for 6 days and my energy levels are throught he roof! I noticed a difference within 36 hours. I had lost fluid fro my face and by day 4, i was weeding the yard. I couldn't live with the overwhelming exhaustion I had for over a year now. All of my levels were in the dirt so I was put on estrogen/progesterone/testosterone/pregnisilone (sp?). I turned 47 this month.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-17-09, 15:52
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I know this is an older thread but I'd like to get some more interest here.

FYI---whether the hormones are bio-indentical or synthetic, they are still hormones and act in the body as hormones. Which means--bio-identical or synthetic--both have the same risks. Those who have contra-indications for HRT should not take bio-identicals either.

Now....with that said....

I'm 49. and probably have tried every hormone manufactured (if it was sampled by the manufacturer, I've tried it). Still with symptoms and complaints. I decided to use myself as a guinea pig (so that I could tell my patients my own experiences--I'm a women's health provider). I started bio-identicals 3 weeks ago tomorrow--the only thing I can say is WOWZA!! I feel like a completely different person--fatique-improved, moodiness-improved, I feel like my body is burning warmer (i"m always cold)... I swear, I'm going to marry my compounder and my nurse who works with me everyday is ready to kiss his feet. I take my sub-lingual (under the tongue). I don't have a uterus so I don't have to worry about a period. I take a combo of estrogen and pregesterone.

Bio-identicals are not for everyone. They are not covered by insurance prescription plans (at least not mine) so it is an out of pocket expense. About $120 for a 3 month supply. As long as I have the money, I'll be sticking with these.

Thought I'd just let you know one persons' experience.

Lisa
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-18-09, 08:54
Registered Member

Plan: EFGT
Stats: 152/124/118 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

This is great as I am a health care provider also but in anesthesia, I don't get to counsel patients in this arena. I think what is important is frequent lab draws, esp. up front, to determine your response to a given dose. My friend was on bioidenticals and was miserable. I asked her when her last labs were and she said they had only been drawn once, at the beginning of therapy. I got her in to see my doc, an ob-gyn that is listed as a provider by the hormone drug company, and he changed everything on her as her labs were really out. I love mine. I am on Estrogen/Progesterone/Testosterone/Pronistle (sp?).
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 13:19

Plan: atkins/sbd
Stats: 152/143.6/120 Female 5' 6"
BF:24/24/18
Progress: 26%

Hello, hope you don't mind my jumping in here. I've been suffering severely with peri and after I couldn't take it anymore, my gynie put me on nuvaring. I quickly gained 20 lbs and still had problems. I'm 48 yrs old and for the first time, saw my blood pressure and my cholesteral go up. (I've always had runners bp meaning low) I already have reactive hypoglycemia and Lord knows these three things are the cocktail for diabetes and heart disease. After one year on nuvaring, I went to another gynie who didn't mind my wanting to try bio-identicals. This is my 2nd month on bio-identicals and so far, I feel good. I'm also on my 6th day of induction, which, by the way, was impossible for me to do before and during the nuvaring time. There is a website called WomentoWomen.com that can give you lot's of info on bio-identicals. All the benefits and risks. I'd rather take a hormone that matchs my body then one made with horse pee anyday. Good luck on your research and if you'd like, I'll post about what's happening with me.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-27-09, 13:28
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

i'd like to jump into this conversation as well..

i have been zero carbing (Carnivore) for 6 months now...
when i stopped eating all the other food groups, my hormones balanced out and symptoms are gone.
my skin has become more supple and smooth, my hot flashes are gone, my insomnia is gone, my depression is gone, my mood swings are gone, my anxiety is gone..

all those things that go along with the change of life have disappeared.
i feel like i'm 30 again.

i do believe it's because i got rid of all the meaningless garbage i was eating.