Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 15:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Trendy diets skip the carbs, a big source of fiber we need"

Americans forgo fiber at their own risk

Trendy diets skip the carbs, a big source of fiber we need

By Mary Beth Regan, Special To The Sun

Originally published December 28, 2003

link to article

As you enjoy these last days of splurging on sugar cookies and eggnog, perhaps you've given a passing thought to improving your eating habits in the new year.

If so, consider advice from the nation's nutrition experts to put more bulk into your body. Fiber, it seems, is one of the most lacking ingredients in the typical American diet. As a result, popular low-fiber diets are contributing to health ailments including obesity, intestinal disorders, heart disease and diabetes.

"The bottom line is, Americans aren't eating nearly enough fiber," says Jon A. Story, a Purdue University nutrition professor who worked on the first dietary guidelines for fiber intake, released last year.

Counter to trendy advice based on popular low-carbohydrate diets such as the Atkins and South Beach diets, fiber, which is found in carbohydrates, can improve chances of losing weight as well as help prevent serious health problems such as heart disease, diabetes and possibly colorectal cancer.

A study reported in the November American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that middle-aged women who ate a high-fiber diet cut nearly in half chances of gaining weight over a 12-year period. A second study (both were conducted at Harvard School of Public Health) confirmed earlier research that high-fiber diets also help to lower risks of serious ailments including coronary heart disease and Type 2 diabetes.

These studies come on the heels of the National Academies' Institute of Medicine decision in September 2002 to issue the first-ever daily intake requirements for fiber and other nutrients.

Earlier this month, the organization, which makes dietary recommendations to the government, called on federal policymakers to use these daily requirements to update food and supplement labels nationwide. Today's food labels are based on 1968 guidelines, considered by many to be woefully out of date.

Scientists know much more today about how diet affects health. Since the early 1900s, Americans have been eating more and more processed foods. As a result, they are eating less fiber. Many people, for example, eat breads, muffins and baked goods made from refined, low-fiber flour, losing the benefit of bulk such as wheat bran.

On average, Americans today eat between 13 grams and 15 grams of fiber daily from fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other sources. According to the new dietary guidelines, women and men under the age of 50 should have a daily intake of 25 grams and 38 grams of fiber, respectively. For women and men older than 50, the numbers fall to 21 grams and 30 grams, respectively. Children between age 4 and 13 should eat 25 grams daily, with boys ramping up to 31 grams by adolescence.

"That's a lot more fiber than most people are eating," says Cynthia Finley, dietician at the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center in Greenspring Station. "I rarely have anyone come in here who is eating the recommended nine fruits and vegetables daily."

There is a wealth of research that points to the dangers of this low-fiber trend:

Colon health: For women and men, colon and rectal cancers are leading cancer killers, behind lung, prostate and breast cancer. Research has not yet conclusively linked a lack of fiber to greater incidence of colon cancer, but scientists know high-fiber foods help fight cancer.
Fiber also keeps your intestines and colon healthy. Cereal grains, for example, act as laxatives to help move potentially dangerous cancer-causing substances through the colon quickly, reducing the time that potential carcinogens remain in the body.

High-fiber diets also aid people suffering from colon disorders and irritable bowel syndrome. Health care experts estimate that half of Americans between age 60 and 80 will develop diverticulosis, which are small pouches in the colon. When food collects in them, the pouches can become infected, leading to diverticulitis, a serious condition that can require surgery. A high-fiber diet can help these conditions.

Heart health: Scientists say fibers found in cereals, oats and beans, as well as pectin in citrus peels, jellies and jams, help lower cholesterol levels in the blood. While the precise mechanism is not understood, it is suspected that these fibers disrupt the circulation of bile acids, which lowers cholesterol.

Blood health: Fiber also plays a significant role in regulating the amount of glucose absorbed by the body. That's why high-fiber diets are important for people suffering from Type 2 diabetes, a less severe form of the disease than Type 1 diabetes because the body still is able to produce insulin.
Research shows that fiber slows the rate of absorption of glucose into the bloodstream, helping to keep blood-sugar levels steady. It's those high-blood-sugar levels that lead to health problems such as kidney damage, nerve damage and other ailments.

"We know that fiber blunts this rise in blood sugar, softening the spikes," says Laila S. Roth, a certified diabetic educator with the University of Maryland Hospital System. "That's why it is so important for people with diabetes."

Finley, at Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, says you can take a few easy steps to put more fiber into your diet. Choose fresh vegetables, fruits, legumes and other high-fiber snacks daily instead of processed foods. But, she warns, don't ramp up too fast. Otherwise, you may experience minor complications such as bloating and constipation.

"Anyone on the street can probably name a high-fiber food," Finley says. "The breakdown is between education and action. We know we need to change, but old habits die hard."

Give yourself high fiber

Increase your fiber intake gradually and remember to drink plenty of water. If you add fiber too quickly, you could cause bloating and other discomforts. Eventually, your body will adjust to the additional bulk.

Start the day with a high-fiber cereal that has 5 grams or more per serving.

Eat whole-grain breads that list whole wheat, whole-wheat flour or another whole grain as the first ingredient. Look for at least 3 grams of dietary fiber per serving.

Eat between five and nine servings of fruit and vegetables each day.

Snack on high-fiber snacks such as dried fruits or nuts, but be careful of high calories.

Use more beans, peas and lentils for your protein because of their high-fiber content.
Source: Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, Mayo Clinic.

High-Fiber Foods

Consider some of these high-fiber foods to meet daily fiber intake requirements. The standard: 25 grams for women and 38 grams for men daily, under the age of 50. For women and men over age 50, 21 grams and 30 grams daily, respectively.

Beans, peas, other legumes

Black-eyed peas (canned), 1 cup, 184 calories, 7.9 grams of dietary fiber

Baked beans (cooked), 1 cup, 382 calories, 14 grams

Lima beans (fresh), 1 cup, 208 calories, 9 grams

Cereals

General Mills Fiber One, 1/2 cup, 60 calories, 14 grams

Kashi Go Lean, 3/4 cup, 120 calories, 10 grams

Nature's Path Optimum Power Breakfast Cereal, 1 cup, 190 calories, 10 grams

Dried Fruits

Apricots, 6 pieces, 100 calories, 3 grams

Prunes, 6 pieces, 120 calories, 3.6 grams

Figs, 2 pieces, 97 calories, 4.6 grams

Fresh Fruits

Blackberries (fresh), 1 cup, 74 calories, 7.6 grams

Raspberries (fresh), 1 cup, 60 calories, 6.0 grams

Strawberries (whole), 1 cup, 45 calories, 3.3 grams

Nuts

Almonds (whole), 1/4 cup, 209 calories, 3.8 grams

Peanuts, 1/4 cup, 211 calories, 3.3 grams

Pistachios, 1/4 cup, 158 calories, 3.4 grams

Vegetables

Artichoke hearts (marinated), 6 ounces, 121 calories, 6.1 grams

Broccoli (frozen), 1 cup, 51 calories, 5.5 grams

Potato (baked, with skin), 1, 220 calories, 4.8 grams

SOURCE: Nutritionist Pro, First Data Bank Inc., 2001.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 16:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

The studies that show fiber is healthy really just showed that eating highly processed food is unhealthy. If you get your fiber from fruits and vegetables then you will be eating lots of good chemicals that may be the reason for better health than the fiber.

Its hard to seperate the benefits of fiber from the benefits of the fruit and veggies.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 23:19
There and Back Again

Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Crap media interpretation...

I think that the media really misses the boat when criticizing low-carb plans like Atkins because the fruits, veggies, nuts, seeds that we are encouraged to eat on this plan to make up the entireity of our smaller carb count are naturally chock-full of fiber.

The baked goods I eat now (like fiber bagels) are loaded with dietary fiber. Veggies like asparagus, spinach, turnips, lettuce, celery are all relatively low carb but very high in fiber.

In fact the irony is that high carb foods in general have a lot less fiber than low carb foods, and the low carb foods tend to be more nutritionally dense as well.

I know that I eat way more fiber on my diet now than I ever did in the past.

Fiber helps to act as a cleansing process for the body, coupled with the fact that many sources of fiber are from naturally vitanutrient-rich foods, it's no wonder that fiber is touted as healthy... but I agree that it may be the very nature of the fiber-rich foods (for example broccoli's nutrients as a cancer preventer which happens to be low carb and high fiber) that improve the overall health profile.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 06:59

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Counter to trendy advice based on popular low-carbohydrate diets such as the Atkins diet...,

Well...another "expert" who has obviously failed to read the entire DANRD book! How shocking!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 07:49

Plan: PP
Stats: 210/170/170
BF:
Progress: 100%

------
Its hard to seperate the benefits of fiber from the benefits of the fruit and veggies.

----

I think Dodger has it right.

All those studies they cited merely compare people who ate refined crap, to people who ate more 'natural' whole foods.

I don't think fiber has anything to do with it. In fact in one study of colon cancer, they found that adding fiber supplements to the diet actualy resulted in MORE cancerous changes to the colon.

Fiber is merely a 'marker' for whole foods.

And if cereal fiber is the cure-all they say it is, what saved our lives for the half-million years before we invented wheat??
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 17:50

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Personal experience

My personal fibre experience is that it doesn't keep me regular at all. It may have other benefits, but whether I get a lot or not (some days I do, other days I don't), it doesn't affect my regularity. What does affect it is calcium. I take 500mg of calcium in the morning and again in the evening. If I skip just one dosage, I have problems within 24 hours and it takes 24 hours after starting back up on my calcium for it to clear up. As long as I take my calcium, I never have a problem.

I do, however, agree that nutrient-dense fruits and vegetables are an indispensable part of a balanced diet, and I will continue to eat them as part of my low-carb WOL. But grains and other starches are not nutrient dense and don't need to be part of my WOL, and I don't miss them one bit.

Sorry -- personal rant.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 21:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

They sure make alot of claims about fiber without having the research to back them up.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 07:07

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishghj
They sure make alot of claims about fiber without having the research to back them up.

There has been a lot of research on this. The problem is, the results have been conflicting with one study showing benefit and protection against cancer and other ailments and others showing no benefit, at least with regards to protection against colon cancer.
I agree that it's very difficult to separate the benefits of pure fiber from the vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients that foods with high amounts of fiber also contain, so we are still left with the question: is it the fiber or something else?
Grains are known to cause problems for a variety of people in the form of gluten allergies, IBS, Rheumatoid arthritis and leaky gut syndrome.
How interesting that many of the fruits and vegetables she lists as having high fiber are also low carb! She forgot a few, though:

Spinach, frozen; 1 cup: 9 grams fiber
Asparagus, boiled; 1 cup: 3.8 grams fiber
Flax seed; 3 tablespoons: 6 grams fiber
Green beans, steamed; 1 cup: 4 grams fiber

Hmmm...just with those 4, I'd be nearly at 25 grams of fiber for the day and still well below 20 grams of [net] carb.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 01:01

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Low-Carb Foods (Grams of Fiber per 100g):

Strawberries -- 2.0 (32 kcal)
Spinach (raw) -- 2.2 (23 kcal)
Broccoli (raw) -- 2.6 (34 kcal)
Atkins Bread -- 14.3 (250 kcal)
Keto Ketatoes Mix -- 25.2 (378 kcal)

Hi-Carb Foods (Grams of Fiber per 100g):

Baked Potato -- 2.2 (75 kcal)
White Bread -- 2.4 (266 kcal)
Corn Flakes -- 2.5 (373 kcal)
Whole Wheat Bread -- 6.9 (246 kcal)
Raisin Bran Cereal -- 9.0 (311 kcal)
All Bran Cereal [w. Added Fiber] -- 50.0 (192 kcal)

For the most part...Hi-Carb foods which are higher in Fiber tend to also be high in Calories. For example, Plain Baked Potato and Spinach boast the same Fiber content...But, the Spinach has < 1/3 the Calories of the Potatoes. It gets even worse when you compare Broccoli and Cereals such as Corn Flakes. Boasting near identical Fiber contents, we find that Cereal also boasts over 10x the Calories of Broccoli.

For a more accurate comparison, let's compare 2,000 kcal worth of each of the foods --

Low-Carb Foods (Grams of Fiber per 2,000 kcal):

Strawberries -- 125.0
Spinach (raw) -- 191.3
Broccoli (raw) -- 152.9
Atkins Bread -- 114.4
Keto Ketatoes Mix -- 133.3

Hi-Carb Foods (Grams of Fiber per 2,000 kcal):

Baked Potato -- 58.7
White Bread -- 18.0
Corn Flakes -- 13.4
Whole Wheat Bread -- 56.1
Raisin Bran Cereal -- 57.9
All Bran Cereal [w. Added Fiber] -- 520.8

The only Hi-Carb food on that list to reach, much less beat any of the Low-Carb foods in Fiber Content vs. Calories is ALL BRAN CEREAL WITH ADDED FIBER. How many Low-Fat/Hi-Carb dieters do you know that eat lots of ALL BRAN Cereal. Nope, most of them are eating Regular Cereals such as Corn Flakes...which are so high in Calories compared to their Fiber content that it would be PHYSICALLY IMPOSSIBLE to achieve the 25 - 38g suggested there and stay within a standard 2,000 kcal Diet. In fact to obtain even the minimum 25g from Regular Cereals as exampled by Corn Flakes, one would need to consume 3731 Calories. Assuming that person's Maintnance Calories are 2,300...which would result in a weight gain of 2.86 pounds per week or 149 pounds per year. That doesn't sound very healthy.

By comparison, to obtain your 25g of Fiber from the LC Food with the worst ratio (an amazingly high 114.4) one need only consume 481 Calories. If the maintance Calories are the same, that person can get their full Daily Value of Fiber and have over 1,800 Calories to spare.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 09:25
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Nicely done, cc48510. Thanks for taking the time to work this out.

I'm getting LOTS more fiber on Atkins, but I'd never quantified why. Now, it is obvious.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 22:47

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

"Eating lots of fiber is good for you. Everybody knows that"."

- from the same experts who brought you the low fat diet...
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 02:01

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Eating lots of fiber IS good--it means I can eat more!!

Actually, I don't see what their problem is. I eat berries, nuts and veggies every day. Some days I even have some Fiber One mixed in with my berries. Generally speaking, I have over 30 grams of fiber daily with 35 net carbs.

Some day some of these people MIGHT get a clue.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 09:20

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

The problem is that that don't read the book. They will never "get it" until they do.