Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 14:47

Plan: Atkins for now.
Stats: 135/?/115? Female Short. 5"3
BF:Don't wanna know.
Progress: 15%
Arrow CVS.com's "lose weight guide" Slimfast good. Lowcarb bad.

I'm embarrassed that I shop here. And even more, I regret all the money I spent a few years ago there on SlimFast bars. Although they did taste good...

They're just mad because they don't make much money off us low carbers.

Link

Quote:
how many calories should you consume daily? To figure this out, simply multiply your ideal body weight by 12-15

Last I knew, it was 10-12x your body weight.. I could NEVER eat 15 or 14 x my *ideal*weight. That would be about 1800 calories. I'd gain 10lbs a week.

Quote:
Formulated products that come with a diet plan, such as Slim-Fast®, can help. Very-low calorie diets at 800 calories or less per day can have serious health risks and should only be used under the supervision of a health care professional.

Quote:
Refrain from using high protein, low carbohydrate diets. Although these diets can lead to quick weight loss, they have adverse health consequences. High protein, low carbohydrate diets cause your body to release chemical compounds called ketones, which can cause nausea, lightheadedness, and bad breath. In addition, they may also be low in healthy food and high in fat, which can have a negative effect on cholesterol levels. Some people end up bingeing on carbohydrates.

lol...how stupid.

Quote:
The newest fat-buster is Xenical® (orlistat). It blocks fat absorption by about 30%, but it can upset your digestion.

I like how they had the word Xenical link to an *add to cart* page. I personally would rather have bad breath then an upset digestion from that medication.

Last edited by SlimShAdY : Sat, Jun-07-03 at 14:48.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 16:09

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hmmm...isn't it a bit odd that they would knock low carb because "it may cause nausea..." but plug Xenical even though it can cause....what??? Stomach upset??
Can we say "double standard"???
Let's also forget to mention that while it's blocking fat absorption, it's also blocking the absorption of fat soluble vitamins. How healthy is that?

For the most part, the nausea, if you experience any at all (I never did), is experienced during the first 3-5 days which is before ketosis really kicks in. It's the carb withdrawal that causes it, not ketosis. Ditto with the headaches and light headedness.
Come to think of it, withdrawal from addictive drugs is a very unpleasant experience as well. Does that mean that people should stay addicted because the withdrawal is unpleasant? Not!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-03, 19:01

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lisa N
Come to think of it, withdrawal from addictive drugs is a very unpleasant experience as well. Does that mean that people should stay addicted because the withdrawal is unpleasant? Not!

From their point of view ..... absolutely.....as long as they are making money off those drugs

I have become very cynical lately and this is one more nail in the coffin ....