Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 09:23

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 265/203/175 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 69%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl R
Wow Jo, so your eczema went away while low-carbing... that would be nice, looking forward to seeing if that will happen for me. I did notice in the past that my IBS and other intestinal issues got so much better and yes, even the achy joints. I've heard recently that my perpetual sinus infection might actually go away too. My eczema comes and goes, so I don't know if it went away with low carbing last time.

I just wanted to say my long-time sinus issues have disappeared these last few months, as well as needing to take daily allergy medication for itchy skin (where I would literally scratch my hands and feet till they were sore and bleeding). My diabetes is under control as well as my blood pressure.

Now, I still have some health issues, but I can only imagine feeling even better than I do now even a few more months down the road.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 13:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Wow Jo, so your eczema went away while low-carbing... that would be nice, looking forward to seeing if that will happen for me. I did notice in the past that my IBS and other intestinal issues got so much better and yes, even the achy joints. I've heard recently that my perpetual sinus infection might actually go away too. My eczema comes and goes, so I don't know if it went away with low carbing last time.

Thank you all for joining in this group. I think we will all be able to help each other through the hurdles.

I used to get little white, crusty, incredibly itchy patches all over my skin, especially on my face (typical), shoulders, upper arms and legs. They were round and about a centimentre in diameter, each should and upper arm would have four or five. My doctor thought it might be ring worm at first, but eventually settled on eczema. Interestingly, my teenage daughter gets them - she's not low carbing. I also used to get an allergic reaction to cheap ear rings, deodorant and perfume. For some reason that stopped too??
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 14:41

Stats: 292/238/145 Female 5' 10" (70")
BF:
Progress: 37%
Cool

Hi Cheryl R - and everyone else.
I am restarting again at 60 yrs old and 268 lbs.
Lets help each other for sure. It is the only way.

Last time I lost 70 pounds (50 yrs old then) and got quite sick of peoples opinion on what I ate. Now I plan to just mumble something about watching portions and if pushed, I may say I am allergic or gluten i tolerant or other such nonsense. Its easier than explaining all the time. I hope a simple "I can't eat that" will often suffice too.
What do other people do?
Do you defend or explain low carbing? Avoid the topic? Lie?

PS: I was lucky before because my doctor was on Atkins the same time as me. She saw how it worked and the good effect on cholesterol, etc.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 19:38
Living LaVita LoCarb

Plan: 40% 40% 20%
Stats: 292/242/160 Female 64 inches
BF:Next mini goal 225
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldahling

Last time I lost 70 pounds (50 yrs old then) and got quite sick of peoples opinion on what I ate. Now I plan to just mumble something about watching portions and if pushed, I may say I am allergic or gluten i tolerant or other such nonsense. Its easier than explaining all the time. I hope a simple "I can't eat that" will often suffice too.
What do other people do?

Like you, when I was in my 50's I got extremely tired of people commenting on what I ate. I worked with doctors and other medical people and they all had an opinion. Back then, no one really believed if you were gluten intolerant; which is silly, some of the books I've read indicate this has been known for years. So, last year at the age of 56 I had to have a colonoscopy with biopsy's of some areas; and some kind of other testing he did at the same time. And lots of blood work. Mine came up that I do not have celiacs but I am absolutely intolerant to wheat, barley, rye. It is extremely difficult to do this type of weight loss program without getting negative feed back from some.

I am soooo looking forward to some of my health issues clearing up. I have wanted to be back on this program for sooooo long. It's getting started that is the hard part. Day three for me. It's been hard and I've been so grumpy today. I know this will pass; and I warned my husband.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-13, 19:41
Living LaVita LoCarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
I used to get little white, crusty, incredibly itchy patches all over my skin, especially on my face (typical), shoulders, upper arms and legs. They were round and about a centimentre in diameter, each should and upper arm would have four or five. My doctor thought it might be ring worm at first, but eventually settled on eczema. Interestingly, my teenage daughter gets them - she's not low carbing. I also used to get an allergic reaction to cheap ear rings, deodorant and perfume. For some reason that stopped too??

That is how some of my eczema started; mine went away when I did give up sugar and wheat/flour before. It stayed away for several years. My daughter is 34 and she just started getting spots on her upper chest. She'd pregnant so she can't even use steroid cream and she's itching like crazy. She's never ever had it before.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-13, 14:57

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
That is how some of my eczema started; mine went away when I did give up sugar and wheat/flour before. It stayed away for several years. My daughter is 34 and she just started getting spots on her upper chest. She'd pregnant so she can't even use steroid cream and she's itching like crazy. She's never ever had it before.

Its the itching thats the problem, cos of course eventually you scratch yourself raw, bleed and end up not only with the little white patches, but streaky scratch marks. I used to scratch with a wire hairbrush when it was really bad, it was just so itchy and made such a mess of myself. I found sudocrem (nappy rash cream) was the only thing that helped - and of course steroids (my doctor prescribed me prednisolone tablets) , but they made me hungry lol!!!!!

Jo xxx
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-13, 15:45
Living LaVita LoCarb

Default I'm excited today

Oh my gosh, I have a wire brush also, I used it on a spot on my back where I had shingles years ago; but I'm careful. My husband cringes if he sees me do it, but I don't do it hard any more.

I'm excited today, it's day 4 of Atkins induction (not what I will follow after 2 weeks). I haven't been hungry at all and I'm even smelling tonight's dinner cooking for the last 3 hours. I'm kind of shocked that it's only day 4 and I feel so much better already; especially my tummy. I actually walked my 10,000 steps yesterday for the first time since before my foot injury this summer. I did a 22 minutes walk alone and a 26 minute walk with Darrell..... and I worked a little in our yard... and I'm down a pound. My weight went up from halloween and birthday but now it's back where I was before halloween. YAY.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-13, 20:26
Living LaVita LoCarb

Where did everyone go? I'm on day 5 and going strong. I'm having a problem getting up and getting stuff done. Anybody got any motivation ideas to get me up and going each day?
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 00:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/150/128 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress:

My name is Lorie & I started Atkins almost 4 wks. ago & have had a 5 lb. weight loss. I did Atkins in 2001 with great success, kept weight off for about 5 yrs. then back to my old ways. Now starting again, weight a little harder to lose this time, but feel good.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 22:52

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldahling
What do other people do?

PS: I was lucky before because my doctor was on Atkins the same time as me. She saw how it worked and the good effect on cholesterol, etc.

I am a little late on commenting on this but I do have something I say - I went thru the explaining phase too and it took too much energy and I felt I was wasting my breath, so I just say "No thank you" and if pushed "You won't be getting on the scale with me in the morning." They can think what they like. I had a lot of food pushers at work and funny, now they are doing their own versions of LC and Atkins now, too. I do find if you just say low carb it goes over better than naming a specific plan.

For what it's worth!
Kat
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-13, 22:59

Quote:
Where did everyone go? I'm on day 5 and going strong. I'm having a problem getting up and getting stuff done. Anybody got any motivation ideas to get me up and going each day?

Hi Cheryl! Just busy, I imagine close to the holidays...
I have the same problem when I am home from work, I'm just wiped - but I try to do something fun, something I look forward to. I've been collaging a calendar page for myself for inspiration daily and that gives me a little break and some motivation to move it. I find a model/person I'd like my body to resemble, some fun make up, a healthy food picture, something seasonal like fall leaves and copy a recipe title and success quote on the page from my Suzanne Somers books - they turn out fun and being visually oriented, I do find motivation by doing this daily. I'll also put on a favorite movie/show - if I have to do household things, it's fun to listen to in the background. Or high energy music. Right now I have a Dark Shadows marathon going while I am cooking - Netflix has it on instant. Trying a new recipe is fun as well. I guess the point is the more fun I make things the more I feel like doing.
What do others do?
Kat
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 02:16
Living LaVita LoCarb

I wanted to hit like on a few posts. Seems like we are all going thru the same things. My computer is going to the shop tomorrow; I've been beg borrowing and stealing time on Darrell's computer; but his is stationary and I don't like sitting in that room for long. I tried to fix it myself; but I need to upgrade my windows; I'm still using Vista. I copied all my files just in case today, I would just die if I lost my pictures. I know they will back it up for me, but I don't trust it.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-14, 08:03

Plan: Atkins/Gluten-Free
Stats: 167.4/158.6/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Revived?

I'll try to revive this thread!

I'm Michelle, 51 year old, with the start of some arthritis issues that losing 25 lbs would significantly help! I've had too much stress in my life this past year between work and family issues, but all of that is calming down and I'm at a place where I have more control (and I intend to keep that control!)

I have successfully lost 30 lbs doing this in the past (two times, actually), but then I get lazy and fall off the wagon. I need to do this again and I need to keep it up. I'm ready to make some new habits and I have some good motivations to do that.

And yep, I'm menopausal now so that doesn't help the cause, but I don't miss "the curse" at all!

Looking forward to meeting other 50 is the new 30 women!
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-14, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishaBelle
I'll try to revive this thread!

I'm Michelle, 51 year old, with the start of some arthritis issues that losing 25 lbs would significantly help! I've had too much stress in my life this past year between work and family issues, but all of that is calming down and I'm at a place where I have more control (and I intend to keep that control!)

I have successfully lost 30 lbs doing this in the past (two times, actually), but then I get lazy and fall off the wagon. I need to do this again and I need to keep it up. I'm ready to make some new habits and I have some good motivations to do that.

And yep, I'm menopausal now so that doesn't help the cause, but I don't miss "the curse" at all!

Looking forward to meeting other 50 is the new 30 women!

Hi Michelle!
We all seem to be busy these days - especially post holidays. I just had a knee replacement Jan 6, so have been busy recovering! But it's always nice to meet 50 is the new 30!!! women I am hoping to feel more that way later this year when I can run around again minus a walker! or cane...!
Kat
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-14, 21:20

Stats: 292/238/145 Female 5' 10" (70")
BF:
Progress: 37%

Well I'm past the 50 group now (just turned 60), but I like this group so I'm staying! I hope that's okay.
I re-started in November and am doing pretty good. Things are slower than last time - 10 years ago - which I suppose is understandable. I read Wheat Belly and boy I do not want ever to eat it again! A lot of my aches and pains are gone now - but I still ahve the occasional trouble with gas. I plan to try Apple Cider Vinegar next time to see if it helps. Other than that, I'm just eating lots of fat, some protein and veggies and trying to get outside every day.
Today 254. Tomorrow - the world!