Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 11:49
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Menopause. What's the upside?

Ok, staring this down the bore, so to speak. Surely there is some upside to this. Lay it on me, sisters!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 19:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

No periods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No birth control!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 19:25

Stats: 170/157/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:?/24.7%/22%
Progress: 33%

Oh and I was always cold before, now I'm always hot.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 21:15

Plan: Ketogenic paleo
Stats: 186/167/125 Female 5'4"
BF:trying to quit
Progress: 31%

Surely PMS goes away also...?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-08, 21:28
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

No periods is a big upside! (It even saves money.)

And, there's no cramps, too. I'll take hot flashs over bad cramps any day.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 10:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Ok, good, good! Anything else? Like... did anyone lose more weight during menopause? Ok, I'm probably reaching...
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 10:37
Intermittent Feaster

Plan: DSTSS
Stats: 280/188/175 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I can't say it's speeded up my weight loss, but it certainly hasn't stopped it. Oh, and hot flashes aren't inevitable; I think I only had one or two, and that was during perimenopause. And don't discount the joy of sex without birth control
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-08, 10:39

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Hmm....perimenopause is bad enough...can't imagine menopause...

I guess the no birth control and no cramps are good things...but I'm having a huge problem losing now, can't imagine how it would be if i were fully menopausal....

TJ
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-08, 19:37

Plan: atkins
Stats: 133.5/128/123 Female 64
BF:27%
Progress: 52%

You would think hot flashes would burn energy.I mean it sounds logical.(right)..It didnt work for me..
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-08, 22:14

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Do all of the perimenopause symptoms disappear after menopause? I am 48 and I'm finding that I am super sensitive and get my feelings deeply wounded, very easily. I also get mini panic attacks, which I have not had before. I'm really getting pretty sick of myself. I do find that natural progesterone cream helps, as well as trying to focus on helping others... but I sure wish I could be done and over this stupid vulnerable feeling...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-09, 12:30

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
Do all of the perimenopause symptoms disappear after menopause? I am 48 and I'm finding that I am super sensitive and get my feelings deeply wounded, very easily. I also get mini panic attacks, which I have not had before. I'm really getting pretty sick of myself. I do find that natural progesterone cream helps, as well as trying to focus on helping others... but I sure wish I could be done and over this stupid vulnerable feeling...

Just before I started taking Vit D in late November 2007, I had an attack of either something perimenopausal (I'm 45) or SAD, I don't know, but I just felt really really depressed for no good reason, almost tearful. A few days before that I was a puddle of tears because of a careless comment a neighbour made. I just didn't recognise myself, as I'm usually a fairly cheerful, happy-go-lucky type of gal.

Two days after the unfounded tearful moments I started taking Vit D3 (4,000IUs/day) and I've felt fine since. Less bad-tempered with my kids and husband and cat, better concentration and no depression or irritability prior to my period. Just generally more balanced and calmer about life in general.

Do you already take Vit D3? If not, now would be a time to try it out! It can't hurt, from what I've read. Check the "Great Vit D Experiment" thread on the challenges sub-forum if you need more information and want to hear about other people's experiences.

amanda
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-09, 08:19

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Susun Weed has a chapter on anxiety/irritability in her book The New Menopausal Years. Apparently a lot of women get panic attacks, anxiety, or wake up with anxiety at night. She says it could be a symptom of the adrenals being stressed during hormonal changes during menopause. One recommendation is keeping a bottle of sage tincture by your bed with a glass of water and sipping a dropperful if you wake up with the jitters or suddenly feel a crash of depression or low spirits.

Here's one source for sage extract:

http://67.199.53.69/sage-liquid-extract-sm-sag.aspx

You can also make a tea from garden sage. It's found in the fresh herb section at supermarkets and sometimes at farmers markets, and you can use that to make a great tea; or you can buy dried garden sage at health food stores. Sage has plant estrogens. Red clover as mentioned above is another good one.

There is a wealth of information from Susun Weed's books and writings online; you can do a google search for links.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 06:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
Susun Weed has a chapter on anxiety/irritability in her book The New Menopausal Years. Apparently a lot of women get panic attacks, anxiety, or wake up with anxiety at night. She says it could be a symptom of the adrenals being stressed during hormonal changes during menopause. One recommendation is keeping a bottle of sage tincture by your bed with a glass of water and sipping a dropperful if you wake up with the jitters or suddenly feel a crash of depression or low spirits.

Here's one source for sage extract:

http://67.199.53.69/sage-liquid-extract-sm-sag.aspx

You can also make a tea from garden sage. It's found in the fresh herb section at supermarkets and sometimes at farmers markets, and you can use that to make a great tea; or you can buy dried garden sage at health food stores. Sage has plant estrogens. Red clover as mentioned above is another good one.

There is a wealth of information from Susun Weed's books and writings online; you can do a google search for links.

Just THINKING about sage extract calms me down! That sounds heavenly!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 10:07

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress:

Didy: Avena has a lot of great remedies for women:

http://67.199.53.69/female-reproduc...m-products.aspx

I esp. like the Into the Flow formula and the Moontime Belly oil (the oil is great for cramps). I've also gotten good results from the Motherwort extract; calming and good for the heart. And the Rose Petal Elixir is amazing, it tastes intensely of roses and it's very relaxing.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-09, 17:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvieK
Didy: Avena has a lot of great remedies for women:

http://67.199.53.69/female-reproduc...m-products.aspx

I esp. like the Into the Flow formula and the Moontime Belly oil (the oil is great for cramps). I've also gotten good results from the Motherwort extract; calming and good for the heart. And the Rose Petal Elixir is amazing, it tastes intensely of roses and it's very relaxing.

Thanks! I'll do some perusing!! How wonderful to know that we are not alone in this journey!